culturalcustomer

Has Anyone Actually Been Deported on K1 For Unofficial Wedding Ceremony?

33 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, mitzab said:

Hi dear

K1 visa is a fiance visa, as far as risks are concerned no lawyer can say otherwise. Yes there are lot of people who break the law and don't get caught still does not make it right.

If you wish to choose that path than do let us know how it goes for you, we are all cheering for you to be with your loved one sooner than later.

If there is "no marriage" than ceremony is just a dinner or a lunch why even bother putting that as a question. If there is nothing to hide then no reason to fear.

Cheers 

Thank you for your kind response.

2 hours ago, culturalcustomer said:

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering about something. It seems that there's a notion that if you and your fiance have a wedding ceremony before the k1 visa is finished processing, then you risk your visa being denied or even later on risk being deported for fraud or misrepresentation of facts if they find out later on after fiance gets to the US. My question are:

1.) If having a wedding ceremony (but not actually sign anything) really is a problem and makes it fraudulent to enter on a k1, then under what circumstances could immigration find out about it later on assuming there are only pictures that were never posted on social ,media or on our phones?

2.) I hear people say that you can get deported if immigration finds out later on after fiancee comes to the us and could strip away citizenship. If this does happen as people say it does, then can anyone link me to a case on VJ her where that happened to someone?

It just feels like that's misinformation.

Our visa was approved but currently in administrative processing.

visas can get revoked at any time for wrong representation. Like others have said if the consulate thinks you are too married ( like whatever ceremony you have had) they will deny the visa and ask you to apply spouse visa. Plenty of people have had the issue and some didnt. 

Simplest fact if you are worried, dont have any ceremony. it does not matter whether its officially registered in the marriage bureau or not.

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Whether it has really happened before or not is irrelevant. If something is wrong per immigration law, what does it matter if it’s happened in real life before or not? Even if it hasn’t happened before, you could be the first. The fact that something has slipped through the cracks previously or been overlooked doesn’t mean you will be that fortunate.

You’ve received enough opinions, one more doesn’t change anything. Make your decision based on the information you’ve received instead of going around fishing hoping to hear the answer you want.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It is not that complicated a process this is after all a DIY site and most people complete the process without much if any help 

True, but there's still quite a bit of unclear information that sometimes trips people up and causes people to get their visas denied for sometimes very small and avoidable reasons.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering about something. It seems that there's a notion that if you and your fiance have a wedding ceremony before the k1 visa is finished processing, then you risk your visa being denied or even later on risk being deported for fraud or misrepresentation of facts if they find out later on after fiance gets to the US. My question are:

1.) If having a wedding ceremony (but not actually sign anything) really is a problem and makes it fraudulent to enter on a k1, then under what circumstances could immigration find out about it later on assuming there are only pictures that were never posted on social ,media or on our phones?

2.) I hear people say that you can get deported if immigration finds out later on after fiancee comes to the us and could strip away citizenship. If this does happen as people say it does, then can anyone link me to a case on VJ her where that happened to someone?

Michael's fiance was denied at PoE because they  discovered through a line of questioning they were already married.  

https://youtu.be/x3eDHYhu2Z8?t=55

Now, his case is more complicated. But, if at PoE your partner might asked "When last did @culturalcustomer?" And if  the answer is "Last week... " More questions could be asked about the nature of the visit, leading to them thinking you're already married.

Why risk it? But, if you do. Report back about PoE procedures. 

Edited by Kor2USA

1 minute ago, African Zealot said:

Whether it has really happened before or not is irrelevant. If something is wrong per immigration law, what does it matter if it’s happened in real life before or not? Even if it hasn’t happened before, you could be the first. The fact that something has slipped through the cracks previously or been overlooked doesn’t mean you will be that fortunate.

You’ve received enough opinions, one more doesn’t change anything. Make your decision based on the information you’ve received instead of going around fishing hoping to hear the answer you want.

I'm not really trying to hear the answer I want. Obviously I want to do what is in my and my fiance's best interest and breaking the law is not something that helps with that. But that being said, if I'm asking for proof that the circumstance that a lot of people are saying can happen, *has* happened, then clearly I'm trying to get information so that I could try to understand the seriousness and severity of what could happen. 

Also, if people say that something has happened and you ask for a source where said thing happened, and they continuously fail to provide that proof, then the credibility of the person that said it tends to fall very low. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Another thing to consider is maybe 10% of people going thru the immigration process even know about VJ, Reddit, Facebook or whatever. Lets even say it's as high as 20%. You are getting a very small sample, or " Pool" to judge your decision on. Hundreds of thousands of applications are submitted every year, there is no way to gather enough insight to make a decent decision on something like this.  That's why your going to see most people take a play it safe attitude, I did a K1 and thought why not a small ceremony with family, then saw questions exactly like this one over the time I looked, and I didn't go anywhere near as hard as you are to get information, but decided against it.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Another thing to consider is maybe 10% of people going thru the immigration process even know about VJ, Reddit, Facebook or whatever. Lets even say it's as high as 20%. You are getting a very small sample, or " Pool" to judge your decision on. Hundreds of thousands of applications are submitted every year, there is no way to gather enough insight to make a decent decision on something like this.  That's why your going to see most people take a play it safe attitude, I did a K1 and thought why not a small ceremony with family, then saw questions exactly like this one over the time I looked, and I didn't go anywhere near as hard as you are to get information, but decided against it.

The reason I'm going so hard to find out this information is because the more I read up on cases on VJ, Reddit, Facebook, etc. The more I see people who have done things differently and still came out fine on the other end. It just makes me realize that people's experiences are varied. It's well known that everyone who goes through these processes isn't treated with the same level of equity and respect. And I think that sometimes comes into play when dealing with these officers (at any point in the process really.)

But you're right. I didn't consider the small amount of people. I assumed a majority of people actually used these sites, but maybe not. 

Edited by culturalcustomer

1 hour ago, Gail and Derrick said:

Did you not like the responses you were getting on Reddit about this? Several people answered you there, but here's the thing, just because you don't like the answers you got doesn't mean they were giving you incorrect information. You'll get the same info here. And asking across multiple VJ and Reddit accounts doesn't change the facts either. You got rather argumentative over there. Please don't do that here. 

Wait is this dubiouspoet?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you want to do a marriage ceremony why not just do CR1? Why take the risk? Furthermore K1 isn't shorter processing time which was the main benefit of this visa pre-covid.

Why are you in AP? Which consulate/ country are you going through? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**One post removed for Terms of Service violation. Reminder that it is against the TOS to tell other members not to post.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.