culturalcustomer

Has Anyone Actually Been Deported on K1 For Unofficial Wedding Ceremony?

33 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering about something. It seems that there's a notion that if you and your fiance have a wedding ceremony before the k1 visa is finished processing, then you risk your visa being denied or even later on risk being deported for fraud or misrepresentation of facts if they find out later on after fiance gets to the US. My question are:

1.) If having a wedding ceremony (but not actually sign anything) really is a problem and makes it fraudulent to enter on a k1, then under what circumstances could immigration find out about it later on assuming there are only pictures that were never posted on social ,media or on our phones?

2.) I hear people say that you can get deported if immigration finds out later on after fiancee comes to the us and could strip away citizenship. If this does happen as people say it does, then can anyone link me to a case on VJ her where that happened to someone?

It just feels like that's misinformation.

Our visa was approved but currently in administrative processing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@culturalcustomer,    Your visa is not yet approved until all administrative processing is complete and the status has changed to "issued".  That notion you mentioned  is not misinformation.  I wouldn't risk it.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

33 minutes ago, HRQX said:

See here:

Since they were "too married" for K-1 they then eventually did IR-1/CR-1 process: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=258475

Not mentioning it at POE, I-485 filing, I-485 interview, etc. is willful material misrepresentation: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-j

Yes, they can revoke citizenship: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-l-chapter-2

But it's my understanding that they don't even ask you about that stuff normally at the PoE. If they don't ask about it then how can it be considered willful misrepresentation? And it likely wouldn't be something that is brought up at any of the other fillings either unless we volunteer it (meaning they wouldn't ask about it). I just don't understand why it would matter if there was a celebration that happened. It's not actually married which is all that matters, right?

I've stumbled upon cases where "Too married for k1' has come up, but that doesn't sound like something that is necessarily based on the law/visa requirements. It seems like it's something that could be determined based on how the officer personally feels (even if you're following all the rules). They might think you are "too married" even if you aren't married at all.

And those links aren't actual cases where this has happened to someone. I still want to know if it's ever actually happened.

Edited by culturalcustomer

21 minutes ago, culturalcustomer said:

I've stumbled upon cases where "Too married for k1' has come up, but that doesn't sound like something that is necessarily based on the law/visa requirements. It seems like it's something that could be determined based on how the officer personally feels (even if you're following all the rules). They might think you are "too married" even if you aren't married at all.

Incorrect.  The consular officer is charged with determining visa eligibility.  A requirement for the K-1 visa is that both parties remain unmarried until after POE in the United States.  If an applicant for a K-1 visa appears to be married, the CO will deny the visa.  Erring on the side of possibly incorrectly approving a visa is not a chance they want to take.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like a question for an Immigration Lawyer. We only see a small percentage of the crazy stuff 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Gail and Derrick said:

Did you not like the responses you were getting on Reddit about this? Several people answered you there, but here's the thing, just because you don't like the answers you got doesn't mean they were giving you incorrect information. You'll get the same info here. And asking across multiple VJ and Reddit accounts doesn't change the facts either. You got rather argumentative over there. Please don't do that here. 

No, I did not like the answers I was getting on Reddit.

Here's the thing... not everything over there on Reddit that you all are saying is facts. I realized that a LOT of it is not fact. There's a ton of misinformation floating around these immigration forums. That's why I am asking across multiple forums on VJ and Reddit. I try to be thorough and find consistencies in the information I receive from these threads... That's how I can be reasonably certain that it's correct information. There's an actual immigration lawyer on YouTube that actually said that it shouldn't be a problem to have a wedding ceremony before the k1 is complete, so that is how I know that people on Reddit and VJ sometimes don't know what they're talking about. A lot of the approvals and denials are based on the discretion of the officers, and not always because of the law, but oftentimes because of how they're feeling, or their own personal biases.

I'm not here to argue though, I just want my question answered, which I didn't get answered over on Reddit.

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Incorrect.  The consular officer is charged with determining visa eligibility.  A requirement for the K-1 visa is that both parties remain unmarried until after POE in the United States.  If an applicant for a K-1 visa appears to be married, the CO will deny the visa.  Erring on the side of possibly incorrectly approving a visa is not a chance they want to take.

Many people have been approved though while the officers have known about a simple ceremony. I'm not talking about being married actually, I'm just talking about a marriage ceremony that is not official.

Edited by culturalcustomer

Timeline
1 minute ago, culturalcustomer said:

Many people have been approved though while the officers have known about a simple ceremony. I'm not talking about being married actually, I'm just talking about a marriage ceremony that is not official.

Never heard of anybody from the UK having an issue 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, culturalcustomer said:

I have been reading VJ for the past 5 years, and I've seen LOTS of cases that were denied following "unofficial" marriage ceremonies.  And contrary to what you may think, that would not be a random result based on how the CO is feeling that day; it is correct application of immigration law.

Don't believe what you're hearing here?  Feel free to do your own research, or take a chance and see what happens.  

7 minutes ago, Gail and Derrick said:

2 accounts you have here on VJ

I thought it was against the TOS to have two accounts here on VJ?

Timeline

It is not that complicated a process this is after all a DIY site and most people complete the process without much if any help 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, culturalcustomer said:

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was just wondering about something. It seems that there's a notion that if you and your fiance have a wedding ceremony before the k1 visa is finished processing, then you risk your visa being denied or even later on risk being deported for fraud or misrepresentation of facts if they find out later on after fiance gets to the US. My question are:

1.) If having a wedding ceremony (but not actually sign anything) really is a problem and makes it fraudulent to enter on a k1, then under what circumstances could immigration find out about it later on assuming there are only pictures that were never posted on social ,media or on our phones?

2.) I hear people say that you can get deported if immigration finds out later on after fiancee comes to the us and could strip away citizenship. If this does happen as people say it does, then can anyone link me to a case on VJ her where that happened to someone?

It just feels like that's misinformation.

Our visa was approved but currently in administrative processing.

Hi dear

K1 visa is a fiance visa, as far as risks are concerned no lawyer can say otherwise. Yes there are lot of people who break the law and don't get caught still does not make it right.

If you wish to choose that path than do let us know how it goes for you, we are all cheering for you to be with your loved one sooner than later.

If there is "no marriage" than ceremony is just a dinner or a lunch why even bother putting that as a question. If there is nothing to hide then no reason to fear.

Cheers 

• Jan 26, 2021 = NOA 1 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Sep 8, 2021 = NOA 2 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Nov 16, 2021 =  K1 visa issued in Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Jan 20, 2022 = POE Dallas, Texas
  • Feb 14, 2022 = AOS (I-451, I-131, I765) Filed
  • Feb 20, 2022 = Receipt notice for all three received
  • March 21, 2022 = Biometrics in Dallas, Texas
  • August 9, 2022 = EAD (I-751 approved)
  • August 13, 2022 = EAD and SSN received (SSN applied with EAD)
  • September 6, 2022 = AP (I-131 approved)
  • September 13, 2022 = AP (I-131 receieved) 
  • March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)
  • March 31, 2023 = GC in hand (Total time from NOA-1 to GC in hand 794 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.