Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, kkeys said:

finally submitted everything to NVC for CR1! Anyone have any idea how far out Montreal is scheduling interviews these days? Last I checked it was 10 months? 

Congratulations! It’s about 8 months right now. Feel free to take a look at the excel spreadsheet.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, kkeys said:

Totally forgot about the spreadsheet! I sent the admin our info to be added. :)

Hopefully the end is in sight.. So about 8 months + 3 months at NVC so 11 months all together 😳😳😳 

I know! It’s terrible. The wait to interview looks like it maybe getting shorter though… so maybe by your time it will only be a 5/6 month wait. That’s how it was before Covid

Timeline

Hi all!

I know we're asked to bring the 1040 to the interview, and was just wondering...did anyone have their spouse file jointly as married for the 2020 tax year (and apply for an ITIN for the non-resident spouse) & did they get questioned about why the spouse filed jointly/why there wasn't a SSN on the line for the non-resident spouse (who needed to apply for the ITIN)? 

Edited by Canada5

Timeline

Hi all! 

quick question, how would I I know if the medical exam results have been received by the Consulate? The Dr office mailed them out the 4th our interview is next week the 18th just make sure it's been received. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Torrjr said:

Hi all! 

quick question, how would I I know if the medical exam results have been received by the Consulate? The Dr office mailed them out the 4th our interview is next week the 18th just make sure it's been received. 

Call the doctor's office and ask? I remember @Twiz&Toz had said the consulate was having trouble receiving medicals last week and the doctor's office in Toronto had to fax them in.

1 hour ago, Torrjr said:

Hi all! 

If ur drs office said it was mailed out then it was already sent. I never heard from the drs saying it was sent that’s why I reached out to them. Once it went threw I got an email saying it was sent :) 

Timeline
On 11/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, katcat29 said:

Looks like the Consulate is closed tomorrow for Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day. 

It also looks like some people are getting 'Issued in Final Processing' status updates today instead of Thursday like I expected since the consulate is closed. Mine still says 'Ready'.  Looks like I'm not going to get my passport tracking Friday. 

This is ridiculous. 

I had my interview on October 28 and my status still says “Ready” although the case was last updated Nov. 3 😑. I stopped trying to guess what they are doing. Here was my experience:

-the lady who took the documents very pleasant. I didn’t remember my new Canadian number as I’ve just returned from Europe and got a new number and she said she can relate bc she doesn’t remember her daughters either  
-interview less than 2 min long (I noticed the guy before me also was in and out in 2 min). The questions were:

-how did you and your wife meet? I said we met on Tinder on X and we met in person in X. The officer said something along the lines of “that’s common in these”

-what does you and your wife do? I answered and I mentioned I last worked in health care which I think lead him to the next question/comment that it must have been hard here during covid to which I replied that I actually wasn’t here during covid I was in Europe but nonetheless it was difficult. Then he asked 2 questions off the ds260 to which I answered no then he said “ok I have everything I need. In these TYPES of cases additional administrative processing is required. Usually that is resolved within 2-3 days, then max 4 weeks to get your passport back. You don’t need your passport back right now, right?” to which I replied no…. 🥺. I was given the 221(g) form. 
I do have a denial of admission at the border /withdraw of application from 3 years ago where I was asked to withdraw admission for being suspected of not having enough ties to Canada when I was going to visit my wife. I ended up gathering documents to prove my ties and ended up getting admitted next time. I thought they will ask about that & I was willing to explain but to my surprises they did not. Anyone in the same situation? 

That being said, I don’t really understand what he meant by these “types” of cases. The fact that we met on Tinder or the previous denial/withdrawal of admission at the border? Was anyone else totally not asked about it? 

Seeing that my status still says “ready” sucks the life out of me because it makes me fear that I’ll be stuck in some AP dark hole for months. However, it says the case was last updated Nov 3 which is about 2-3 days after the interview and it fits the timeframe of how long the officer said will take it to “resolve the additional background checks”. But the fact that the status didn’t change to AP or anything does make me worried. Back to waiting. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, YYZ&MIA said:

I had my interview on October 28 and my status still says “Ready” although the case was last updated Nov. 3 😑. I stopped trying to guess what they are doing. Here was my experience:

-the lady who took the documents very pleasant. I didn’t remember my new Canadian number as I’ve just returned from Europe and got a new number and she said she can relate bc she doesn’t remember her daughters either  
-interview less than 2 min long (I noticed the guy before me also was in and out in 2 min). The questions were:

-how did you and your wife meet? I said we met on Tinder on X and we met in person in X. The officer said something along the lines of “that’s common in these”

-what does you and your wife do? I answered and I mentioned I last worked in health care which I think lead him to the next question/comment that it must have been hard here during covid to which I replied that I actually wasn’t here during covid I was in Europe but nonetheless it was difficult. Then he asked 2 questions off the ds260 to which I answered no then he said “ok I have everything I need. In these TYPES of cases additional administrative processing is required. Usually that is resolved within 2-3 days, then max 4 weeks to get your passport back. You don’t need your passport back right now, right?” to which I replied no…. 🥺. I was given the 221(g) form. 
I do have a denial of admission at the border /withdraw of application from 3 years ago where I was asked to withdraw admission for being suspected of not having enough ties to Canada when I was going to visit my wife. I ended up gathering documents to prove my ties and ended up getting admitted next time. I thought they will ask about that & I was willing to explain but to my surprises they did not. Anyone in the same situation? 

That being said, I don’t really understand what he meant by these “types” of cases. The fact that we met on Tinder or the previous denial/withdrawal of admission at the border? Was anyone else totally not asked about it? 

Seeing that my status still says “ready” sucks the life out of me because it makes me fear that I’ll be stuck in some AP dark hole for months. However, it says the case was last updated Nov 3 which is about 2-3 days after the interview and it fits the timeframe of how long the officer said will take it to “resolve the additional background checks”. But the fact that the status didn’t change to AP or anything does make me worried. Back to waiting. 

It’s likely the refusal at the border. For some people that gets cleared in half a day. For some it takes a bit longer. I would not worry. It will eventually clear up. But perhaps follow up over email to remind them you exist… maybe that will help nudge things along.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

22 minutes ago, YYZ&MIA said:

So on your 221(g) did they specify what they needed from you? 

I actually didn't get a 221(g), was approved at the interview, but the exact same thing of the 'Ready' status with last update on Oct 29...

I honestly feel the exact same way you do about being in a dark AP hole for months. I literally called it the immigration black hole yesterday as I cried about it for the 2nd time lol. 

Once I hit the 3 week mark, I will be sending another email to them, as well as potentially inquiring with my husband's state senator as @CanadianJeff did. He had a similar experience.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, katcat29 said:

So on your 221(g) did they specify what they needed from you? 

I actually didn't get a 221(g), was approved at the interview, but the exact same thing of the 'Ready' status with last update on Oct 29...

I honestly feel the exact same way you do about being in a dark AP hole for months. I literally called it the immigration black hole yesterday as I cried about it for the 2nd time lol. 

Once I hit the 3 week mark, I will be sending another email to them, as well as potentially inquiring with my husband's state senator as @CanadianJeff did. He had a similar experience.

The black hole that lasts several months is only when you get a 221G, and you are asked for something that was lacking in your application or worst case, are sent a DS-5535. I would not be worried about that, if I were you, because you were told you were approved, not issued 221G, and  have never been turned away from the border. Yeah, it sucks it’s taking this long when others who interviewed after you have received passports. I think this is because of some new staff who may require supervisory approval, but I really don’t think you have anything to worry about and your passport will be returned very soon.

I agree that you should follow up after 3 weeks have passed though to nudge them along.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

It’s likely the refusal at the border. For some people that gets cleared in half a day. For some it takes a bit longer. I would not worry. It will eventually clear up. But perhaps follow up over email to remind them you exist… maybe that will help nudge things along.

That was my guess too because I can’t think of anything else that would be a red flag🚩. I was thinking of giving them 3 weeks before I start emailing them as today is a holiday and it hasn’t been working 10 days yet since the interview. I’m trying to be understanding and reasonable but lol 

1 minute ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The black hole that lasts several months is only when you get a 221G, and you are asked for something that was lacking in your application or worst case, are sent a DS-5535. I would not be worried about that, if I were you, because you were told you were approved, not issued 221G, and  have never been turned away from the border. Yeah, it sucks it’s taking this long when others who interviewed after you have received passports. I think this is because of some new staff who may require supervisory approval, but I really don’t think you have anything to worry about and your passport will be returned very soon.

I agree that you should follow up after 3 weeks have passed though to nudge them along.

I don't appreciate you telling me not to worry. It is completely invalidating my feelings that I am well warranted to have. I am clearly not getting my passport back by the 3 week mark and so you telling me constantly that I will get it back very soon, is kind of rubbing me the wrong way. Who knows when I will get it back. I have been positive this whole journey which has now taken more than 2 years, only to be hit with this delay that hasn't seemed to happen really to anyone else who was straight away approved other than Katelynn who ended up receiving hers back within the 3 weeks. 

It's clear that the consulate loses sight of some cases as it has happened to CanadianJeff and I am 100% in my right to be worried about where one of my most important documents are. 

At the end of the day, it's good to be positive and to provide support in that way, but sometimes, I just want you to reflect on the fact that there is someone on the other end of this message that isn't doing well right now, and sometimes the message of oh it will come, is not helpful at all. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.