Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, lalove said:

Great I found another stuff to worry about at POE - I got rid of a lot of heavy paperwork including relationship evidence since it was over 4 pounds of paper that I took to the interview with me (was never asked for at the interview). However, looks like officer at POE can ask to see relationship evidence as well - https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=16669 Folks who entered the U.S. on IR1 visa recently did you carry relationship evidence with you at the POE?

Nope. I wasn't asked for proof at all. Following activating my CR-1, I have been asked during subsequent entries about my petitioner, basic stuff as to when we got married, how we met etc.

That being said, if it is the case that CBP are asking for evidence based on other's experience, it may not be a bad idea to carry 'some' proof. I.e. not a box full of docs, but basic stuff, maybe a couple of photos together and a joint financial document of some description.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Right now https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/ says 

As of April 1, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily complete at the National Visa Center in February 2022. 

Would those of you who are more knowledgable about the Montreal processing deadlines say this is accurate? If so, it doesn't seem to be too long of a wait after being DQ'ed? I hear that Montreal is relatively "slower" compared to other consulates. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Ksamwise20 could you please fill out your timeline: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=411293

If you want to want to see the stats for the majority of the people here, there is a spreadsheet linked in my signature.  There's also a FAQ link that is helpful. 

Once you've filled out your timeline and consulted the FAQ's, you can request @Hawk Riders to add you to the spreadsheet.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, lalove said:

Great I found another stuff to worry about at POE - I got rid of a lot of heavy paperwork including relationship evidence since it was over 4 pounds of paper that I took to the interview with me (was never asked for at the interview). However, looks like officer at POE can ask to see relationship evidence as well - https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=16669 Folks who entered the U.S. on IR1 visa recently did you carry relationship evidence with you at the POE?

Further to add to this. That review is in respect to a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, rather than an immigrant visa. I think there's greater scope that CBP can refuse entry to a K-1 than a CR-1/IR-1 as K-1s do undergo less vetting (as that'll be down to USCIS during the AoS) and the isn't anywhere near as a high regulatory bar to deny entry to a NIV holder vs an IV holder per the FAM. Put it this way IV's carry a lot more weight in terms of CBP to deferring to the Embassy's decision. Denial of entry to IV holders is more or less unheard of here and I'm only aware of two cases, one where the IV holder admitted marijuana use to CBP, and the other, which wasn't a revocation of the visa, was due to the holder not having finalized her affairs in Canada, which imo was highly unusual in itself.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys, I have a question. My interview on May 18th. I am planning to go to USA for 4 days before that ( 1st week if May ). Is it okay to travel? any advise. Thanks in advance.

Timeline
On 4/26/2022 at 10:53 AM, Vijayg said:

Hi guys, I have a question. My interview on May 18th. I am planning to go to USA for 4 days before that ( 1st week if May ). Is it okay to travel? any advise. Thanks in advance.

It is at the discretion of the CBP officer whether you will be allowed in, but as long as you bring evidence of strong ties to Canada, you should be fine to travel. Employment letter, lease agreement, copy of a bill or 2 in addition to your return ticket all serve as great evidence in the event you're asked to provide proof that you're actually only visiting.  (I know...who stays in the US when they are THIS close to their interview?!  Not our people here who've been waiting forever!)

Edited by mam521
spelling!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

On 4/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, Family One said:

I need some clarification on the potential hazards of purposely postponing my IR-1 visa.  I had my interview in March followed by a 221g.  It has taken them some weeks, and now they need a new income tax return since the previous one is too old, which will mean even longer to wait.  With all the delays and a medical which will expire on Aug 23, the remaining window will be too small to sell the farm, quit three jobs, etc.  So we would now prefer if we could postpone immigrating until January 2023.

Should I wait to submit the new income tax return until the medical has expired?  Then they will automatically require a new medical (I am OK with that) which will give me another 6 months before the visa expiry date.  Would it be better to send in the income tax return now, with a request to postpone the visa and allow me a new medical before issuing the visa?  What are some unforeseen complications to using either method to postpone the case?  Is there a possibility of triggering other 221g issues or the dreaded DS-5535 if I don't get the visa issued as quickly as possible?

@Family One  Did you submitted your documents to Montreal consulate?

Timeline
On 4/26/2022 at 2:42 AM, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Further to add to this. That review is in respect to a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, rather than an immigrant visa. I think there's greater scope that CBP can refuse entry to a K-1 than a CR-1/IR-1 as K-1s do undergo less vetting (as that'll be down to USCIS during the AoS) and the isn't anywhere near as a high regulatory bar to deny entry to a NIV holder vs an IV holder per the FAM. Put it this way IV's carry a lot more weight in terms of CBP to deferring to the Embassy's decision. Denial of entry to IV holders is more or less unheard of here and I'm only aware of two cases, one where the IV holder admitted marijuana use to CBP, and the other, which wasn't a revocation of the visa, was due to the holder not having finalized her affairs in Canada, which imo was highly unusual in itself.

Oh yes for sure. POE officers used to try to trip K1'ers up by asking about their husband and if you didn't catch it fast enough and correct them with the term fiancé they would turn your butt around and cancel that visa. They did it when I entered too. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, JSmith15 said:

Have noticed that the number of IR1/CR1 issuances have been slowing down over the last few months thru March. Any reason to think that trend will continue over the next few months, or is this just random? 

It has slowed down because the backlog has been eliminated at Montreal for IR1/CR1.

As recently as October 2021, people were waiting 11-13 months from DQ to interview. That has reduced to around 1 month. Montreal has reduced interviews because there aren't any waiting to interview. Once you are DQ'd you are issued an IL, basically the very next month.

2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Oh yes for sure. POE officers used to try to trip K1'ers up by asking about their husband and if you didn't catch it fast enough and correct them with the term fiancé they would turn your butt around and cancel that visa. They did it when I entered too. 

Sneaky...

Timeline
15 hours ago, Canada_F3 said:

@Family One  Did you submitted your documents to Montreal consulate?

The newly requested documents are not yet submitted, so we still have option to postpone if it seems wise.  I started a new topic here for further discussion.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/782958-can-i-request-a-second-medical-before-the-visa-is-issued-to-get-a-later-expiry-date

Timeline
1 hour ago, Budzmaroo said:

Has anyone here travelled to and back from the US after submitting DS-260? How did you go on about it? Do I have to have it opened to add my recent travel history? Or can I just bring it up during my interview? 

No, you don’t have to have it opened. You could let the CO know when you interview, but in all likelihood, they won’t care.

Nonetheless, carry a copy of your submitted DS 260 marked up with any updates during the interview and inform the CO.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.