Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mam521 said:

Flying POE they are less likely to ask because you only have whatever baggage.  If you're paying for extra bags, that might be different and I'd probably keep those separate.

I guess I asked because, am I as an immigrant supposed to have all my stuff that I am "importing"(not sure if that is the right word) with me, easily identifiable? Do I need to make a checklist/manifest of every item I have with me in backpack and checked in luggage?

If so, I'd rather separate all my stuff from m spouse's although that would be very hard to do. I am not quite sure I followed your advice on how extra paid bags are treated differently than regular bags in light of above question. Sorry if I misunderstood you, and thank you so much for your advice.

Edited by lalove

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, lalove said:

I guess I asked because, am I as an immigrant supposed to have all my stuff that I am "importing"(not sure if that is the right word) with me, easily identifiable? Do I need to make a checklist/manifest of every item I have with me in backpack and checked in luggage?

If so, I'd rather separate all my stuff from m spouse's although that would be very hard to do. I am not quite sure I followed your advice on how extra paid bags are treated differently than regular bags in light of above question. Sorry if I misunderstood you, and thank you so much for your advice.

Depending on the ticket you've purchased and whether or not you have a flight rewards program, you may have a 50lb checked bag, a 70lb checked bag or a combination of bags included in your fare, or you may have none and have to pay out of pocket for each bag.  A regular old checked bag or 2 - immigration are unlikely to even think twice about it. I probably wouldn't stress too much if a couple of your things end up in your spouse's bag.  Yes, you're activating your visa, but lots of people fly south to activate it and collect the rest of their personal effects at a later date.  

Now, if you have 5 bags to yourself and are activating your visa, they are potentially likely to ask about the contents.  At that point, I would probably have a high level inventory of what is contained within them. Also, make sure nothing high dollar is in the checked bags.  Carry that on.  Honestly, when people fly, they aren't typically taking tons and tons into the US.  When you load a trailer full, then they are potentially worried about contraband or taxable (duty) items.  Personal items rarely fall into that category.  

When I originally came to the US on my work visa, the trailer of household goods had to be inventoried, but we flew (myself, 2 kids and 2 cats) with 5 hockey bags of clothing and personal effects.  The immigration guys didn't even bat and eyelash at the bags.  They were more worried that the paperwork was in order and that I had the kids' father's birth certificate to issue their L2's.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Great I found another stuff to worry about at POE - I got rid of a lot of heavy paperwork including relationship evidence since it was over 4 pounds of paper that I took to the interview with me (was never asked for at the interview). However, looks like officer at POE can ask to see relationship evidence as well - https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=16669 Folks who entered the U.S. on IR1 visa recently did you carry relationship evidence with you at the POE?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, lalove said:

Great I found another stuff to worry about at POE - I got rid of a lot of heavy paperwork including relationship evidence since it was over 4 pounds of paper that I took to the interview with me (was never asked for at the interview). However, looks like officer at POE can ask to see relationship evidence as well - https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=16669 Folks who entered the U.S. on IR1 visa recently did you carry relationship evidence with you at the POE?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Not doubting OP’s story, but that CBP officer is a real noob. Throwing is weight around with no basis at all….😡

No you do not need relationship proof at POE.

Also, the POE part of the process is really not at all complicated, and nothing to worry about. So please stop overthinking and over preparing… you have your stamped passport. That is ALL you need.

IF anything goes wrong (and 99.99% nothing will), nothing that can go wrong at the POE can’t be easily fixed. This isn’t like the interview where you have one shot and if you blow it or something goes wrong, you have indefinite waits ahead. So please relax.

This goes for others who have been private messaging me with all kind of worries about POE.

What I am saying is - sure prepare for the POE, but don’t go crazy over preparing and imaging far-fetched worst case scenarios for this stage of the immigration process. 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
15 hours ago, lalove said:

You're entering with your spouse on a spousal visa - I'd hope that's pretty reasonable evidence!  Even still that case you found was a fiancé visa.  Not the same.  

Also, can you fill out your timeline?  I'm surprised you haven't been asked to do it already. https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=417652

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
12 hours ago, krzz said:

is there a way to update travel information about trips made after the D260 was submitted?

Should we fill out an updated ds260 to take to the immigration interview?

thankyou

Just update and take with you.  Also, make sure you don't need a new PCC if you've travelled to a country not the US.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You're entering with your spouse on a spousal visa - I'd hope that's pretty reasonable evidence!  Even still that case you found was a fiancé visa.  Not the same.  

Also, can you fill out your timeline?  I'm surprised you haven't been asked to do it already. https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=417652

And that person was granted a K1 visa, for which their relationship was already vetted by USCIS/ Consulate and found to be legitimate - hence the issuance of K1.... so it is really weird for the CBP officer to have asked for it.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
3 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

And that person was granted a K1 visa, for which their relationship was already vetted and found to be legitimate - hence the issuance of K1.... so it is really weird for the CBP officer to have asked for it.

K1's are a bit funny though.  At least in my mind, they are.  The whole premise of a single entry visa to rush and get married in 90 days is a weird one, especially for the couples who've only met once or twice.  That said, the person in this case who'd clearly been together longer...yeah, what the deuce?  But, there are 2 sides to every story and if he'd been pulled to secondary before, then expect the worst.  

And yes, some of the CBP officers are compensating, I swear.  Needlessly flex the ole muscle.  Clearly that was part of it in that referenced case.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

9 minutes ago, Julio-jimmy said:

Does anyone else's DS260 have an expiry date of April 30th 2022? I've seen some lawyers online mentioning that you have to re sign and bring new confirmation page to interview? Does anyone know anything about this???

ds260 never expires.. only the version of ds260 keeps swapping... the expiry date mentioned in the form indicates validity date of the version that has been filled up... since it's mentioned expiry date some of us believe filled ds260 has expired , but it's not

Timeline

I need some clarification on the potential hazards of purposely postponing my IR-1 visa.  I had my interview in March followed by a 221g.  It has taken them some weeks, and now they need a new income tax return since the previous one is too old, which will mean even longer to wait.  With all the delays and a medical which will expire on Aug 23, the remaining window will be too small to sell the farm, quit three jobs, etc.  So we would now prefer if we could postpone immigrating until January 2023.

Should I wait to submit the new income tax return until the medical has expired?  Then they will automatically require a new medical (I am OK with that) which will give me another 6 months before the visa expiry date.  Would it be better to send in the income tax return now, with a request to postpone the visa and allow me a new medical before issuing the visa?  What are some unforeseen complications to using either method to postpone the case?  Is there a possibility of triggering other 221g issues or the dreaded DS-5535 if I don't get the visa issued as quickly as possible?

Timeline

Has anyone dealt with this situation?

My husband is a USC living here in Canada and we both own our house here. 

He is moving back to the US in a few weeks and live with his sister  and I will be joining him this summer once my visa is approved and we will buy a new house later there. 

I will move hopefully the day after we sell the house/closing date. 

Are there going to be any tax implications with the sale of our house  since my husband will already be working in the US even though I’m still here in Canada ??

I’m trying to find a cpa in the meantime to help navigate us through this. Was just curious if any of you dealt with this??

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline
On 4/21/2022 at 1:59 PM, Julio-jimmy said:

Does anyone else's DS260 have an expiry date of April 30th 2022? I've seen some lawyers online mentioning that you have to re sign and bring new confirmation page to interview? Does anyone know anything about this???

The DS-260 won't expire.  If anything needs to be updated, then you can bring the updates to the interview.  As @AshEve stated, the forms have their own internal expiration for updates, but that is internal and doesn't impact you if you've filed prior to their update. 

The I-864 likely needs an update as a US petitioner should have filed taxes by April 30th.  

@lalove please, fill out your timeline!  https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=417652

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.