Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

We are preparing for our upcoming interview... Lots of you guys are mentioning that you're bringing an I-864 to the interview? Its also listed in the FAQ's list of documents to bring to the interview. However, I haven't been able any indication of this on the Us.state.gov website under interview preparation? Is anyone able to direct me to where it says that we are supposed to?

We'll end up bringing one to be extra prepared though! For those of you who have and are bringing an I-864 to the interview, are you brining the previous one your petitioner filled out, in addition to an updated one for the 2021 tax year? 

Also, a question for those who have a joint sponsor...

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) completed by a joint sponsor (not the petitioner):  Bring proof of the joint sponsor’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year. If the joint sponsor’s tax return includes a spouse, then the spouse must complete Form I-864A.

Are you bringing an updated I-864 from your joint sponsor? Also, are you bringing a I-864A filled out by the spouse as well? We've seen conflicting information on this online...

Edited by Julio-jimmy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, lalove said:

I have questions about entering the U.S. with IR1 visa. I am considering continuing to work remotely for my Canadian employer from the U.S. Is this ok to do from immigration perspective? I know I have to file taxes in both U.S. and Canada and I am ok with that. Also, I am wondering if carrying my work laptop with me across the border at POE is ok? If asked by CBP, can I explain that it is my work laptop and I intend to continue working remotely for my Canadian employer? I know that could be an issue for other visa holders but as an IR1 visa holder I have a right to work in the U.S. immediately after visa stamping so wondering if carrying work related belongings are ok?

I am doing this - working for my Canadian employer remotely.

I am using my own personal laptop for work, but I don’t think carrying your work laptop across the border is an issue. As an LPR, the value of goods you take across (during your move) is not an issue.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Julio-jimmy said:

We are preparing for our upcoming interview... Lots of you guys are mentioning that you're bringing an I-864 to the interview? Its also listed in the FAQ's list of documents to bring to the interview. However, I haven't been able any indication of this on the Us.state.gov website under interview preparation? Is anyone able to direct me to where it says that we are supposed to?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html#pre_interview_checklist

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Julio-jimmy said:

We have looked over this countless times, I can't find anywhere that says we need an I-864. Are you able to send where exactly?

It’s on the page. Not sure why you can’t see it. Scroll down? Copy pasting below.

“If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864EZ affidavit of support (AOS):  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and a copy of the petitioner’s Form(s) W-2 from the previous tax year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) completed by a joint sponsor (not the petitioner):  Bring proof of the joint sponsor’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year. If the joint sponsor’s tax return includes a spouse, then the spouse must complete Form I-864A.”

Just now, From_CAN_2_US said:

It’s on the page. Not sure why you can’t see it. Scroll down? Copy pasting below.

“If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS😞  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864EZ affidavit of support (AOS😞  Bring proof of your petitioner’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and a copy of the petitioner’s Form(s) W-2 from the previous tax year.

If you previously submitted to NVC an I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) completed by a joint sponsor (not the petitioner):  Bring proof of the joint sponsor’s legal status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card) and their federal U.S. tax return (Form 1040) from the previous year. If the joint sponsor’s tax return includes a spouse, then the spouse must complete Form I-864A.”

That only says to bring the joint sponsor's and petitioner's legal status and tax returns. Not their I-864 form.

Separately, We do see that the joint sponsor's spouse must complete a Form I-864A, which answers our 2nd question, but not our initial question. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Julio-jimmy said:

That only says to bring the joint sponsor's and petitioner's legal status and tax returns. Not their I-864 form.

You are right, I never looked at it that way.

However, there is a general statement somewhere (maybe on CEAC website where you upload your documents, maybe in interview letter, maybe on registration confirmation, maybe on DQ letter… maybe somewhere else… check everything you have received), that says that you must bring the original of all documents uploaded on CEAC during the interview (this includes i864 ofcourse).

You could risk not taking the original wet ink signature i864, but why would you want to do that? Agreed it is not usually asked for (I wasn’t asked), but people have been asked.

Remember, not having a document at hand that they want during the interview of leads to several months delay in approval.

Timeline
6 hours ago, lalove said:

I have questions about entering the U.S. with IR1 visa. I am considering continuing to work remotely for my Canadian employer from the U.S. Is this ok to do from immigration perspective? I know I have to file taxes in both U.S. and Canada and I am ok with that. Also, I am wondering if carrying my work laptop with me across the border at POE is ok? If asked by CBP, can I explain that it is my work laptop and I intend to continue working remotely for my Canadian employer? I know that could be an issue for other visa holders but as an IR1 visa holder I have a right to work in the U.S. immediately after visa stamping so wondering if carrying work related belongings are ok?

Perfectly fine from an immigration perspective. Does you employer know you plan to do this? It can complicate things for them so I'd let them know if they do not know already. Carrying your work laptop is also perfectly fine. You'll have work authorization once you activate your visa so working from the US will be allowed. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline

Also @Hawk Riders I think your inbox is full. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, DGF said:

Also @Hawk Riders I think your inbox is full. 

thanks; fixed!

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

6 hours ago, Julio-jimmy said:

Separately, We do see that the joint sponsor's spouse must complete a Form I-864A, which answers our 2nd question, but not our initial question. 

So needs to carry sponsor’s and joint sponsor’s last year’s tax return (1040) and w2 forms only. There is no any request to carry last year’s tax transcript. Is it correct?

5 hours ago, DGF said:

Perfectly fine from an immigration perspective. Does you employer know you plan to do this? It can complicate things for them so I'd let them know if they do not know already. Carrying your work laptop is also perfectly fine. You'll have work authorization once you activate your visa so working from the US will be allowed. 

Yes, the employer knows.

My spouse and I plan to fly out of Canada and as such the POE will be at the Canadian airport before our flight. I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to make sure all my stuff is in separate luggage than hers?
2. Do I need to take a manifest/list of everything in my check-in suitcase and my backpack(s)? If so, how detailed does this list need to be?

3. Is it fine that my spouse travels back with me on the same flight?

4. Anything else I should know POE-wise since I will be flying out rather than crossing via land?

Thanks!

Edited by lalove

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Canada_F3 said:

So needs to carry sponsor’s and joint sponsor’s last year’s tax return (1040) and w2 forms only. There is no any request to carry last year’s tax transcript. Is it correct?

If the transcript is available, always bring it.  Just like the wet signature on the 864, don't risk it.  

9 hours ago, lalove said:

My spouse and I plan to fly out of Canada and as such the POE will be at the Canadian airport before our flight. I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to make sure all my stuff is in separate luggage than hers?
2. Do I need to take a manifest/list of everything in my check-in suitcase and my backpack(s)? If so, how detailed does this list need to be?

3. Is it fine that my spouse travels back with me on the same flight?

4. Anything else I should know POE-wise since I will be flying out rather than crossing via land?

Thanks!

Flying POE they are less likely to ask because you only have whatever baggage.  If you're paying for extra bags, that might be different and I'd probably keep those separate.  

You'll go through to Customs and tell them you need to activate your LPR.  They will take your passport and walk you over to a separate office.  Your spouse will likely go through immigration like usual, so you will be separated.  

Once in the immigration office, they will pull your case from the repository, verify the information against the visa in your passport, stamp it and send you on your way.  You'll continue through immigration like nothing ever happened.  Hopefully there aren't a bunch of people in front of you, otherwise you have to wait longer...like the interview. 

Caveat here is I'm referring to the process through preclearance airports.  IF your starting point doesn't have preclearance, it won't happen this way exactly.  I'd imagine there would be a connection through a preclearance airport though and at that point the above would happen, so make sure any connections have sufficient time to clear immi.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.