Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

You are free to travel after you DQ. You only need to be aware of the logistical issues of making it back to the interview in time should you be scheduled. If your cousin has only just DQ’d (November 2021) it will likely be a number of months before she will get an interview letter, as they have only reached Early July in the last issuance. You didn’t mention for how long she intends to be away. I don’t see much of a problem with a short trip (2 weeks or so). But keep in mind with COVID no one can predict issues that may hinder her return (flight bans etc).

Regarding police clearance for India, no, she doesn’t need to obtain a new police clearance as long as it is not dated more than 2 years prior to the interview.

That’s quite informative and positive thanks for your help!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, usaBoundSud said:

Oh, i have a leased car which I have no plans of importing but just drive into the US and stay for the holidays and come back. Guess it will be a problem as well?

If you're visiting the US, not activating your PR, then that would be fine.  It's when you're activating your PR that it becomes a challenge.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, mam521 said:

If you're activating your visa, there's a good chance they'll make you import it.  Someone back this past summer was activating her visa but didn't want to import the car - just use it to bring personal belongings and they turned her around at the border.  

Do you own your vehicle outright or is it financed? 

Does the vehicle meet EPA and DOT regulations including an approved TPMS system?  

These are the biggest hold ups with importing. 

I don't know it ranks as 'good chance' I'm only aware of a single case that someone was forced to import it, and even then had they pushed back on it citing that it was unreasonable to force that import right now they would have probably been allowed to proceed. Once you're stamped in with your IV, then the immigration inspection is over and it's more of a customs issue, so you shouldn't have to fear immigration consequences of trying to get CBP to be reasonable.

I was able to bring in my BC plated motorcycle which was absolutely not compliant with DOT and is currently going through the registered importer process. My suggestion would be to avoid the PoE that triggered the person's original report. I think it was one of the ones across from Ontario?

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How long does it typically take to receive the Greencard after you have crossed the border and activated your CR-1? I got my SSN in about 7 days after i crossed. I am still waiting on my Green card and its been over 5 weeks. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, sdave said:

How long does it typically take to receive the Greencard after you have crossed the border and activated your CR-1? I got my SSN in about 7 days after i crossed. I am still waiting on my Green card and its been over 5 weeks. 

It's completely random, some have gotten their GC after 2 weeks and I'm at 116 days since entry and still nothing from USCIS. Others have waited longer.

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

It's completely random, some have gotten their GC after 2 weeks and I'm at 116 days since entry and still nothing from USCIS. Others have waited longer.

Just curious, do we need the GC for any purpose? Does it affect us how long it takes to get to us, or is anything we need to do held up by not having the GC in hand?

One thing to comes to mind is overseas travel, but I thought the stamp we receive on our passports is sufficient for that?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Just curious, do we need the GC for any purpose? Does it affect us how long it takes to get to us, or is anything we need to do held up by not having the GC in hand?

One thing to comes to mind is overseas travel, but I thought the stamp we receive on our passports is sufficient for that?

From a US Gov/Employment perspective, you're absolutely fine with an endorsed IV. I've never had to go into secondary when re-entering with the endorsed IV, no holdups either. CBP sometimes get curious about my LPR status with off hand remarks ("Oh you're a CR-1...good for you", and questions about who petitioned me etc). I still have my Canadian PR status, and I've not had issues with either country, except for the CBSA thinking that I'm entering as a visitor until I show them my Canadian PR card.

I have, however, had issues with my bank wanting proof of my LPR status and they explicitly won't accept my endorsed IV (yes, I argued with them till I was blue in the face, they would not do it), they wanted the physical GC. This was Chase btw. They did take my SSN and my accounts are working properly, I've no idea what they needed the GC for.

The other potential snag is trying to set up a mortgage, again, Caliber Home Loans seem to want a physical GC but I'm hoping they'll accept the endorsed IV.

I've also had issues with WA DOL who initially didn't want to accept my endorsed IV, but I was able to argue it with them and they eventually did. Because DoL appts are so backed up, I had to drive 6 hours out to Moses Lake so I don't think they get many immigrants there.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The only issue I ran into without the GC (it took 180 days) was the local SSA has no clue that a MRIV equates to a GC, despite what the federal site says.  I needed SSN's for my kids for tax purposes and it was a cluster to try and get them.  

Overseas travel shouldn't be impacted as long as your validation stamp is good.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 hours ago, mam521 said:

The only issue I ran into without the GC (it took 180 days) was the local SSA has no clue that a MRIV equates to a GC, despite what the federal site says.  I needed SSN's for my kids for tax purposes and it was a cluster to try and get them.  

Overseas travel shouldn't be impacted as long as your validation stamp is good.  

I've heard that the local SSA offices can be hit and miss. They're a federal agency, they really should know better. >:c

Hey All,
I have a bot setup for checking changes in this page: https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/ .

It was updated today to indicate that invitation letters are being sent to those DQ'd in October 2021 as of Dec 1st:
image.png.64afbfbc0f3888184a744a967529d46d.png

However yesterday's version says July 2021 though for the same date (Dec 1st):
image.png.e9e61c0a72d01daadae9a47d3ba08d07.png

Anyone has any ideas what that means?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MJ & FEK said:

Hey All,
I have a bot setup for checking changes in this page: https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/ .

It was updated today to indicate that invitation letters are being sent to those DQ'd in October 2021 as of Dec 1st:
image.png.64afbfbc0f3888184a744a967529d46d.png

However yesterday's version says July 2021 though for the same date (Dec 1st):
image.png.e9e61c0a72d01daadae9a47d3ba08d07.png

Anyone has any ideas what that means?

Not exactly sure, but if it’s true, it would be incredible!

The December round of letters might extend all the way to October 2021 DQ

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.