2,964 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, SJLN said:

Hi @Demise@sandranj@TBoneTX

I hope you are doing well

I had an GC interview based on my vawa approval on 12/21/2021. The officer is very nice and friendly. She took 1 hour to go through the I-485 form and security questions with me then she said that the interview was done and she will contact us if she needs something and if my case is approve, I can see the approval from case status online. However,  my case hasn't been updated until now and I'm very worried. 

Do you think this is normal or do you have any thoughts to share with me?

Thank you very much 

Congratulations on your interview, hopefully, you will hear some great news after Holidays! 

do you mind sharing your timeline, please?

thank you.

14 minutes ago, Demise said:

It's been two days like right before the holidays during a time when most people mentally check out of their job. You will get approved once your case crosses a manager's desk and they actually issue the decision. Most ground level IOs don't have the power to straight up approve or deny a case and they just pass it onto the next level up with their observations.

Hi Demise,

Thank you for your nice words. I hope my case will be approved as you said. This processing is very frustrating. 

Happy Holidays to you all

3 minutes ago, SJLN said:

Thank you @Zzz___1

Oct 9 2019: Vawa filed then received 3 PFs 

Jul 29 2021: C31 was issued without any RFEs

Sep 9 2021: Approval letter received

Dec 21 2021: Interviewed and I'm still waiting for the result now.

Thank you.

Oh wow, that’s a super quick interview after the approval. I filed on Aug 19’ and got my official approval in Nov this year. What’s your field office? 
Have you received any transfer notices on your 485 after VAWA approval? 
thanks again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, SJLN said:

Thank you @Zzz___1

Oct 9 2019: Vawa filed then received 3 PFs 

Jul 29 2021: C31 was issued without any RFEs

Sep 9 2021: Approval letter received

Dec 21 2021: Interviewed and I'm still waiting for the result now.

Thank you very much for this information, could you please tell us if/when you received any I485 transfer notices, i693 / medical deficiency notice, request for evidence for medicals, interview notice, etc. I got my I360 approval on 11/22/21, hoping to get fast interview / green card processing like you. Its helpful to know when to expect these notices etc. Hearty congratulations on your soon to arrive green card!

Edited by shiva32

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

41 minutes ago, shiva32 said:

Thank you very much for this information, could you please tell us if/when you received any I485 transfer notices, i693 / medical deficiency notice, request for evidence for medicals, interview notice, etc. I got my I360 approval on 11/22/21, hoping to get fast interview / green card processing like you. Its helpful to know when to expect these notices etc. Hearty congratulations on your soon to arrive green card!

Hi @shiva32 and @Zzz___1

I didn’t received any updates about the transfer or I693 medical deficiency notices. After approval notice, I just got the interview notice on Nov 19 21’ and the notice shows that I should bring the new medical report with me on the interview date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, SJLN said:

my case hasn't been updated until now

Demise's reply is accurate.  A supervisor needs to sign off on interview approvals.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 hours ago, SJLN said:

Hi @shiva32 and @Zzz___1

I didn’t received any updates about the transfer or I693 medical deficiency notices. After approval notice, I just got the interview notice on Nov 19 21’ and the notice shows that I should bring the new medical report with me on the interview date

congrats on the interview and hoping for good news soon!!

could you please share your field office? I'm waiting for interview and timeline is similar to yours

Hi

I’ve been struggling looking for answers for a long time and the attorney isn’t really putting any effort with resources. 

My attorney submitted the VAWA for me on January 22 2020 while I was in California, did the biometrics in February 2020 and received the prima facie March 2020. Then I haven’t heard anything from USCIS after. The processing time went from 16 months, to 21 months, to 26 months, 28 months, and now 29.5 months and it just keeps adding more time so the attorney said I can’t inquire because it’s still not outside the processing time. 

In March 2021, my parents got extremely sick and was admitted to the ICU back in my home country and things were just beyond bad with my abusive spouse in the US. I was afraid to lose my parents before seeing them, so I contacted my attorney and she told me that i cannot apply for an advance parole before my I-360 was approved. But I can still process my case through consular processing with the US embassy in the home country. The struggle was real at this point with my abusive spouse and the fear of losing my parents. I had to leave the States so I can be with my parents who passed away few months after i arrived home. I already regret not seeing them for years so that short time seeing them was worth it. 

I contacted my attorney to ask her how I can process my case through the embassy. But she said all I can do is wait. Couple months after, she told me that the vawa program she has was not funded anymore and she cannot represent us anymore, so all the clients have to look for a new attorney. I was referred to her friend who is a vawa representing attorney, and she agreed to represent me and pay her when she does any work for me since all the papers were already filed and there’s no work left. So all she can do is receive any notices mailed by USCIS. So on November 20 2021 my case got updated to “name was updated” and that’s about it. No more update on my case. So every time I ask her a question, she tells me that I have to pay $250 for a consultation. 

I am dealing with death threats for honor killing  as a female, and I’m not safe here back home and after my dad passed away things just got worse because he was the only one protecting me. so being in the US I was away from death threats before ending up with an abusive spouse and him knowing I have no support did not help at all. 

Now I want to ask if anyone is dealing with a pending vawa outside the US and waiting for approval to go through the consular processing, or even dealing with something similar as me? and if this will affect my case in anyway. Is there any way I can get any updates or details on my case? Or if there’s a way I can get my case processed faster? Or if I can contact a Congressman in the US or a tier 2 agent from abroad. Is there anyway I can go back to the States even if my vawa is still pending?

Any information can help, I’ve been traumatized, depressed, and struggling trying to be stress free and settle down somewhere safe. 

2 hours ago, Mubja said:

Hi

I’ve been struggling looking for answers for a long time and the attorney isn’t really putting any effort with resources. 

My attorney submitted the VAWA for me on January 22 2020 while I was in California, did the biometrics in February 2020 and received the prima facie March 2020. Then I haven’t heard anything from USCIS after. The processing time went from 16 months, to 21 months, to 26 months, 28 months, and now 29.5 months and it just keeps adding more time so the attorney said I can’t inquire because it’s still not outside the processing time. 

In March 2021, my parents got extremely sick and was admitted to the ICU back in my home country and things were just beyond bad with my abusive spouse in the US. I was afraid to lose my parents before seeing them, so I contacted my attorney and she told me that i cannot apply for an advance parole before my I-360 was approved. But I can still process my case through consular processing with the US embassy in the home country. The struggle was real at this point with my abusive spouse and the fear of losing my parents. I had to leave the States so I can be with my parents who passed away few months after i arrived home. I already regret not seeing them for years so that short time seeing them was worth it. 

I contacted my attorney to ask her how I can process my case through the embassy. But she said all I can do is wait. Couple months after, she told me that the vawa program she has was not funded anymore and she cannot represent us anymore, so all the clients have to look for a new attorney. I was referred to her friend who is a vawa representing attorney, and she agreed to represent me and pay her when she does any work for me since all the papers were already filed and there’s no work left. So all she can do is receive any notices mailed by USCIS. So on November 20 2021 my case got updated to “name was updated” and that’s about it. No more update on my case. So every time I ask her a question, she tells me that I have to pay $250 for a consultation. 

I am dealing with death threats for honor killing  as a female, and I’m not safe here back home and after my dad passed away things just got worse because he was the only one protecting me. so being in the US I was away from death threats before ending up with an abusive spouse and him knowing I have no support did not help at all. 

Now I want to ask if anyone is dealing with a pending vawa outside the US and waiting for approval to go through the consular processing, or even dealing with something similar as me? and if this will affect my case in anyway. Is there any way I can get any updates or details on my case? Or if there’s a way I can get my case processed faster? Or if I can contact a Congressman in the US or a tier 2 agent from abroad. Is there anyway I can go back to the States even if my vawa is still pending?

Any information can help, I’ve been traumatized, depressed, and struggling trying to be stress free and settle down somewhere safe. 

Sorry for all what you are going through. 

Is your spouse a USC or a LPR?

Do you have any pending I-485?

Your answer of these two questions will determine a lot and help those experimented on this forum to give their own advices. 

1 hour ago, Rhema1 said:

Your answer of these two questions will determine a lot and help those experimented on this forum to give their own advices. 

Hi thank you very much for responding, appreciate you. 

sorry my story is long and complicated I wanted to cover the overall story and forgot to mention some important info. 

yes my spouse is a USC, we still haven’t finalized the divorce since I’m overseas now. 

the attorney submitted the papers for me, and I can only see the form of I-360 I don’t see the I-485. She did not even tell me that I can get a work permit while waiting, she kept telling me that I have to wait for the I-360 to get accepted for me to be able to get a work permit. 

The notice I received from USCIS doesn’t have a priority date so I don’t know if that’s the case for all vawa applicants. 

2 hours ago, Rhema1 said:

thank you very much for responding, appreciate you. 

sorry my story is long and complicated I wanted to cover the overall story and forgot to mention some important info. 

yes my spouse is a USC, we still haven’t finalized the divorce since I’m overseas now. 

my spouse was gaslighting with the application to control me, then told me that he doesn’t have money to apply for me and kept delaying it for almost a year after while it was dealing with physical, financial, and psychological abuse. So he never applied for me so I only have the vawa case pending with USCIS.

the attorney submitted the papers for me, and I can only see the form of I-360 I don’t see the I-485. She did not even tell me that I can get a work permit while waiting, she kept telling me that I have to wait for the I-360 to get accepted for me to be able to get a work permit. 

The notice I received from USCIS doesn’t have a priority date so I don’t know if that’s the case for all vawa applicants. 

7 hours ago, Mubja said:

Hi

Hi. First of all I am soo sorry about your parents. May their soul rest in Peace Ameen !

second- your attorney messed up. Why the hell she didn't file I485 along with I360? If that was the case, you could have received work permit and travel document so that you could travel to your home country without parole.

third- " name has been updated " means uscis has touched your file and you will receive a notification on your case soon.

forth- do you have a visa to enter to states? If yes, you can come on that visa otherwise i don't think you are eligible to enter into usa without visa or travel document. Now i am not sure if you can file for i485 in your home country with pending i360. If yes, immediately file for it and also form i765 and i131 and come back once you get your combo card with in few months. 

fifth- since your spouse never filed for i130 i assume you don't have pending i485 with uscis. 

sixth- your current attorney is a piece of ... sorry about my language but some attorneys don't even know the process and file cases without any knowledge to get money from clients! 

Edited by Shroy123

29 minutes ago, Shroy123 said:

Hi. First of all I am soo sorry about your parents. May their soul rest in Peace Ameen !

second- your attorney messed up. Why the hell she didn't file I485 along with I360? If that was the case, you could have received work permit and travel document so that you could travel to your home country without parole.

third- " name has been updated " means uscis has touched your file and you will receive a notification on your case soon.

forth- do you have a visa to enter to states? If yes, you can come on that visa otherwise i don't think you are eligible to enter into usa without visa or travel document. Now i am not sure if you can file for i485 in your home country with pending i360. If yes, immediately file for it and also form i765 and i131 and come back once you get your combo card with in few months. 

fifth- since your spouse never filed for i130 i assume you don't have pending i485 with uscis. 

sixth- your current attorney is a piece of ... sorry about my language but some attorneys don't even know the process and file cases without any knowledge to get money from clients! 

Thank you so much.. And you are totally right, I felt like the attorney isn’t giving me enough info and not putting much effort to help. She just told me that my case is strong and straightforward. I checked my file and I don’t think she filed any other form but the I-360. She told me that i cannot work till my I-360 is approved which made my abuse situation even worse because I couldn’t do anything or work or move out. 

the new attorney said I can’t apply for anything but wait for the I-360 since I am abroad, therefore, I won’t be eligible for a work authorization at this point. 

Unfortunately my F1 student visa expired on February 2021 so I won’t be able to come back on that visa, I am willing to apply for another visa but the attorney said it might not be accepted because I have a pending vawa case therefore I have an intent to stay in the U.S.  if there’s a chance to get a visa, I would do that. 

the updated status “name was updated” is because I have a different attorney, so I’m not sure if that means anything, but I do hope that this will help process the case. 

In January 2022, it will be my 3rd year waiting with no update. 

if anyone has information for a nonprofit pro bono attorney, or if I can contact the congressman or tier 2 agent as I other suggested before please let me know.

Thank you all, I appreciate it  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mubja said:

Thank you so much.. And you are totally right, I felt like the attorney isn’t giving me enough info and not putting much effort to help. She just told me that my case is strong and straightforward. I checked my file and I don’t think she filed any other form but the I-360. She told me that i cannot work till my I-360 is approved which made my abuse situation even worse because I couldn’t do anything or work or move out. 

the new attorney said I can’t apply for anything but wait for the I-360 since I am abroad, therefore, I won’t be eligible for a work authorization at this point. 

Unfortunately my F1 student visa expired on February 2021 so I won’t be able to come back on that visa, I am willing to apply for another visa but the attorney said it might not be accepted because I have a pending vawa case therefore I have an intent to stay in the U.S.  if there’s a chance to get a visa, I would do that. 

the updated status “name was updated” is because I have a different attorney, so I’m not sure if that means anything, but I do hope that this will help process the case. 

In January 2022, it will be my 3rd year waiting with no update. 

if anyone has information for a nonprofit pro bono attorney, or if I can contact the congressman or tier 2 agent as I other suggested before please let me know.

Thank you all, I appreciate it  

You need to hire better attorney, and file file I-485,I-765 and I-131, it does cost you for this but it will get you work permit and travel permit which will make you life little easier.

Good Luck.

Feb - 18 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765 Filled  ( Vermont )

Feb - 25 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765  Received

Sep - 17 -2019   - I-765 Approved. (C9)

Jun - 20 - 2020  - I-765 Renewal Sent

Sep - 08 - 2020  - I-765 - Approved (C9)

Oct - 15 - 2020  -  RFE Received ( Good Faith Marriage )

Nov - 15 - 2020  - RFE Sent

Mar - 05 - 2021  - EAD Approved ( C31 )

Mar - 05 - 2021  - I-360 Approved 

Mar - 08 - 2021  - I-485 Case Moved to new office. 

May - 25 -2021  - I-360 Approval Notice Arrived

Nov - 12 -2021  - i-693 - Notice to Submit Medical

Nov - 17 -2021  - i-693 - Sent to USCIS 

Dec -16 2021 - I-485 Approved, GC in Production.

Field Office : Long Island, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.