2,964 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, saraa88 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for i485 after VAWA approval in New York? I intend to fly on advance parole for 3 weeks at the end of December. Should I not travel on the off chance my interview is scheduled while I am away? My VAWA was approved April 2021. Thanks

When was your vawa was approved & how long it took? Any update on I-485 yet? Expecting Interview or approval?

Edited by VolksWagon99

6 hours ago, Zizigragnon said:

That is great to know. I can't wait to travel again. I traveled on advance parole before Covid started and came back without issue.

Did you've any overstay or Unlawful presence? Had to file any waiver before travel?

On 10/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, Optimistic1986 said:

Yup thank you, it was finally approved after a long time. I just wonder what kind of instructions are in the notice, biometrics?

Pls share your timeline & office

On 12/17/2021 at 7:22 PM, Demise said:

I wouldn't recommend looking at random cases because you will drive yourself mad. I've done it for mine, I looked like 200 cases before and after mine and I swear that I was one of the last ones to get a decision on mine.

If you want to look at stats just get the chart from USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/I360_VAWA_performancedata_fy2021_qtr4.pdf

Looks like for FY 2021 the approval rate for spouses was about 68.8%, which seems a bit down. Maybe they're clearing out the backlog by denying cases that lack merit.

Self-Petitioning Parent of a U.S.C. Son or Daughter - In this category is there any minimum age of abuser?

On 12/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, anita21 said:

CARD FINALLY IN HAND.>>YAY!!!!!..I HAVE ALREADY BOOKED MY FLIGHT LOL

My journey is finally over

this is a 2/3 years of exreme anxiety of depression.

eversince i got my card im feeling an internally healing in me.

-

2years ago i was in a nightmare.. this thread gave me hope. God bless everyone helping people here.. esp Sandra and the rest.

This place is a place of refuge.

I will try my best to always come back to answers questions as best as i can.

I know someone here is wishing to be like me right now.  i want to encourage you that your time will come. believe me i never thought i would see this day...  2yrs ago i couldnt even visualize it but God made it possible becuase He hads broken the gate of brass.

God bless everyone...PEACE!

Pls share your timeline & office

2 minutes ago, VolksWagon99 said:

Self-Petitioning Parent of a U.S.C. Son or Daughter - In this category is there any minimum age of abuser?

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

7 hours ago, VolksWagon99 said:

When was your vawa was approved & how long it took? Any update on I-485 yet? Expecting Interview or approval?

I did overstay , no waiver was filed , no criminal background. Entry was smooth(JFK). I went to secondary inspection there was bunch of people in front of me ,but on my turn cpb just asked  me where I live in the US , stamped my passport and that's it. Good to go. I recommend traveling if you have advanced parole. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, Demise said:

2. There's two options. The usual one is a C09 EAD due to a pending I-485. Alternatively you can check a box on the I-360 and they will issue you a C31 EAD upon I-360 approval. The first option is faster and takes about 6-8 months these days. If you already have a C09 EAD and you transfer I-485 to the I-360 that EAD will remain valid and you can keep renewing it.

2- Usually we get combo card of EAD & AP. Is that right? How it is when EAD expedited?

On 10/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Mkenyan said:

Mine expired on January 2021, to date I didn't get an automatic renewal.

Also my attorney doesn't help that much.

I filled my l-360 on June 2019. Got two PFs then no renewal.

What exactly PF is? Why we need to renew PF? Is it automatically or we need to apply?

On 10/19/2021 at 6:01 AM, balo101 said:

I got mine after the expiration of first one.

Give it 2 to 3 weeks. hopefully you will get it.

or you can write to Vermont and request the PF. something you can do your own as well. 

good luck. 

How long it takes after writing to them?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, Sparkle said:

You can request renewal. Write a letter to vermont for that. 

Is there a limit to renew PF?

11 minutes ago, VolksWagon99 said:

What exactly PF is? Why we need to renew PF? Is it automatically or we need to apply?

How long it takes after writing to them?

Is there a limit to renew PF?

With PK you basically can get public benefits as well as the financial aid for your school. 

some times USCIS send it automatically and there are folks here who has to request. I received 3 so far and i never requested it.

there is no limit to renew PF. If you are taking advantage of it then you must want to renew before it expire. 

after writing to Vermont you can not really tell how long it will take.

Whew! I need some guidance.

2018: Filed VAWA.

2020: Relocated to a different state and missed a letter that was mailed to my old address during the move. (Admittedly, my fault so I changed my address on file).

Throughout 2020 and 2021, I sent letters to USCIS pleading to resend this letter to my new address to no avail. I contacted my congressman to intervene with no help. I still don’t know what this letter entails till this day. 

2021: May - applied for EAD/AP renewal. It’s been over 6 months and still waiting.

September 2021: I received C31 EAD in the mail from my I-360. It’s been 3 months and I’m still waiting on the VAWA approval letter while my EAD/AP has been pending for over 6 months.
I-485 is still in biometrics/fingerprints status since 2018!! 😮😮 

Clearly, USCIS doesn’t process applications in sequence cos I’m seeing fast VAWA approvals here. I’m confused. 

Do I need to take any action or seek support from my congressman? 

Edited by Double

21 minutes ago, Double said:

Whew! I need some guidance.

2018: Filed VAWA.

2020: Relocated to a different state and missed a letter that was mailed to my old address during the move. (Admittedly, my fault so I changed my address on file).

Throughout 2020 and 2021, I sent letters to USCIS pleading to resend this letter to my new address to no avail. I contacted my congressman to intervene with no help. I still don’t know what this letter entails till this day. 

2021: May - applied for EAD/AP renewal. It’s been over 6 months and still waiting.

September 2021: I received C31 EAD in the mail from my I-360. It’s been 3 months and I’m still waiting on the VAWA approval letter while my EAD/AP has been pending for over 6 months.
I-485 is still in biometrics/fingerprints status since 2018!! 😮😮 

Clearly, USCIS doesn’t process applications in sequence cos I’m seeing fast VAWA approvals here. I’m confused. 

Do I need to take any action or seek support from my congressman? 

i would say wait may 1 to 2 months if you do not get your approval notice then contact USCIS or congress person. You should get approval notice by then.

EAD/AP are taking longer than usual now. 

but good thing is you have C31 EAD so you can work.

On 12/3/2021 at 2:14 AM, NiceGuyXLE said:

Its been a while since i was here, im a 2018 October filler and still nothing happened...crickets

Lawyer saying need to wait... paid twice for a work permit application due to her saying that some rules changed and 2 years so far and nothing, all i hear is that need to wait and if she will have news for me she will be the one reaching out to inform and pretty much not to bug her with this type of question. 

I asked the lawyer recently if we are doing everything possible to somehow maybe expedite or at least get a freaking answer it just cant be only silence for that long... lately thinking more and more of just call it a good 15 year journey in us and just move to a different country in europe and leave everything behind...

Anyone here in same situation like mine?

By the way congratulations to everyone on their applications!

This is crazy!! Similar timeline here. 😮😮 

Some cases still pending since 2018.

It’s one of those things that we can’t control without divine intervention. 

1 minute ago, balo101 said:

i would say wait may 1 to 2 months if you do not get your approval notice then contact USCIS or congress person. You should get approval notice by then.

EAD/AP are taking longer than usual now. 

but good thing is you have C31 EAD so you can work.

Thank you. I initially planned to expect the approval letter in approx. 4 months but I’ve seen recent posts of VAWA approvals in less than 2 months. Wondering if my case requires additional review after the C31 EAD has been issued. 

1 hour ago, balo101 said:

With PK you basically can get public benefits as well as the financial aid for your school. 

some times USCIS send it automatically and there are folks here who has to request. I received 3 so far and i never requested it.

there is no limit to renew PF. If you are taking advantage of it then you must want to renew before it expire. 

after writing to Vermont you can not really tell how long it will take.

Is getting benefits only use of PF? Do we need at any step in VAWA journey too?

On 12/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, shiva32 said:

I asked @Demisea similar question, and your assumption of "that one" IO is correct. There is no law against marrying after VAWA I360 approval prior to approval of green card, but its a very good idea to wait to remarry until after GC is approved. 

Generally speaking how long it takes to get GC approval after I360 approval?

Hello fam!

First post here. Please help me. Any information is appreciated.

My wife hid the interview appointment from me. I got to know from USCIS that it is in next 2 weeks (on Jan 06, 2022). Now she is refusing to go and even slapped me. The past 6 months have gone horribly - I was slapped, spat on, humiliated, beaten (have injury photos), and some sexual exploiation also (which I am very ashamed to disclose). One day, she denied me entry to home and I had to sleep on street. I beared all this because she said sorry after everytime. I thought things will get better after green card but now hope is gone. I read about VAWA, and after crying for 3 continuous days, now I am planning to file VAWA. I have a marriage based C9 EAD which will expire in April/2022. I have filed for renewal and I got the 180 days extension.

I cannot file VAWA right now because I do not have resources, and I am sure my I-485 will get denied, and my EAD will not be renewed.

Senior members, please advise. @Demise  @sandranj @TBoneTX @Engineering-rocks @Shiva

If I file for I-360 by end of January/2022, with new I-485, I-765 (EAD), and I-131 (AP) together, can I still keep my EAD category as C9 (as I still will be married). Will I get my EAD in C9 category or will I have to file for C31 category.

Also, when should I expect me to get the EAD?

What I am terrified is to be financially dependent on someone as I do not have any family here.

4 minutes ago, Mahi Bansi said:

Hello fam!

First post here. Please help me. Any information is appreciated.

My wife hid the interview appointment from me. I got to know from USCIS that it is in next 2 weeks (on Jan 06, 2022). Now she is refusing to go and even slapped me. The past 6 months have gone horribly - I was slapped, spat on, humiliated, beaten (have injury photos), and some sexual exploiation also (which I am very ashamed to disclose). One day, she denied me entry to home and I had to sleep on street. I beared all this because she said sorry after everytime. I thought things will get better after green card but now hope is gone. I read about VAWA, and after crying for 3 continuous days, now I am planning to file VAWA. I have a marriage based C9 EAD which will expire in April/2022. I have filed for renewal and I got the 180 days extension.

I cannot file VAWA right now because I do not have resources, and I am sure my I-485 will get denied, and my EAD will not be renewed.

Senior members, please advise. @Demise  @sandranj @TBoneTX @Engineering-rocks @Shiva

If I file for I-360 by end of January/2022, with new I-485, I-765 (EAD), and I-131 (AP) together, can I still keep my EAD category as C9 (as I still will be married). Will I get my EAD in C9 category or will I have to file for C31 category.

Also, when should I expect me to get the EAD?

What I am terrified is to be financially dependent on someone as I do not have any family here.

You have to file for your I-360 ASAP before your I-485 interview. That way you may receive your 797C before your interview and ask the officer to hold your 485 in abeyance. In my case, I had to postpone my 485 interview due to being sick and my attorney wrote in to request for my 485 to be held in abeyance due to filing of I-360. As for your C9 EAD, since you already have it, it is valid for as long as your 485 is still pending case and will continue to be so until a decision is rendered on the 485..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.