2,964 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Demise said:

Pretty much.

Now technically nothing prevents you from having multiple concurrent EADs. However SandraNJ mentioned that USCIS doesn't really like to renew C09 EADs after they issued the C31 one while that's valid, so on the I-360 you should probably just check no.

@Demise hmm.. I posed this question to my attorney actually and he said it doesn't really matter. I have a valid C09 on hand right now but we had checked off 'yes' on my I-360. Given that my C09 validity is 2 years, I could probably renew it under C09 for another 2 years when it expires as I do not foresee I-360 being approved before my EAD expires (there is several months lapse). Out of curiosity, what differences are there between a C31 and C09 based EAD, and can an applicant apply for I-131 to tag on C31 EAD?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Nick2020 said:

Hi VJ family I got an update on my i-485. " New Card is being produced".

Finally it is over after 3 years.

Superb!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  joke worked again... joke worked again...]

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

19 hours ago, Nick2020 said:

1-VAWA can be filed before or after AOS interview? Is there any VAWA interview?

- Yes you can file before AOS interview and you should, you can take to Interview ask them to hold I-485 for VAWA. after pandemic many of the VAWA applicants got their interview waived. 

2-  How & when you get EAD? Can be expedited?

- Currently about 12 to 18 Months, you can request expedited service under extreme hardship.

3- What documents or evidences we would need to apply? Police Report needed? How i can prove the torture/bad behaviour?

- You need to prove 3 things, Your spouse is USC or GC Holder, you were married under good faith, and you were abused.

- To prove good faith marriage you can use, Joint Lease , Bank or Credit card account, Insurance policy, affidavits from your neighbor, landlord, friends or relatives, as many pictures as possible, these are just the ideas but there are many documents that can help. Your personal Statement and your story will be very helpful.

- To Prove Abuse you can use Police report, Psychiatrist evaluation, affidavits for friends and family and your Personal affidavit.

4- how long it takes (if approved) to get GC? GC is for 2 years or 10 Years

- If spouse is USC then 10 Years, else 2 years. It takes between 2-4 Years.

5-If USC spouse don't attend the AOS interview; shall i still go ahead w/ interview? 

- Yes you should,

6- Any Post/Notes or link providing good VAWA info

- Just google it.

7- After VAWA approval, when citizenship can be applied?

- If spouse is USC and still married to Him or Her then 3 Years or 5 years.

8. Do we need to be Divorced while applying? How Divorce timing plays in the process?

- You should not file divorce as once you file divorce you can apply VAWA only within 2 years of Divorce, now if you VAWA is denied or  something goes wrong and you need to file again then you might run out of time, so it is best not to apply for divorce.

All this info are based on my personal experience and knowledge, and i might be wrong in some scenario, but this will give you a start, this forum has lost of information on VAWA and answer to every possible question you just need to go through the posts.

Good Luck.

You're Awesome, @Nick2020

Thanks for your detailed replies!!

51 minutes ago, luminarc said:

If your personal statement is too long, can it affect your case? I read on several sites, the shorter the better, but I have like 27 pages, telling my whole life story 

Meme Spacing Out GIF by MOODMAN

Mine was 4 pages with my RFE response being 3 pages. Like you want to be logical and to the point in your writing. You don't want something that was really bad (e.g. marital rape) to get lost in sea of petty concerns.

2 minutes ago, GeraldSG said:

@Demise hmm.. I posed this question to my attorney actually and he said it doesn't really matter. I have a valid C09 on hand right now but we had checked off 'yes' on my I-360. Given that my C09 validity is 2 years, I could probably renew it under C09 for another 2 years when it expires as I do not foresee I-360 being approved before my EAD expires (there is several months lapse). Out of curiosity, what differences are there between a C31 and C09 based EAD, and can an applicant apply for I-131 to tag on C31 EAD?

Like I agree that it shouldn't matter but I am willing to defer to Sandra when she says that she'd get denials for C09 renewals because the client recently got a C31.

C09:

Basis of eligibility: Pending I-485

Cost: Free (unless you had a fee waiver for I-485, where you have to pay the fee or get another fee waiver for renewals)

Validity: 2 years

Automatic 180 day extension: Yes

Can have advance parole (combo card): Yes

C31:

Basis of eligibility: Approved I-360

Cost: Initial is free, renewals are $410 or you'll need a fee waiver

Validity: 1 year

Can have advance parole (combo card): No

Like I've been saying this for a while, just go with the C09, keep renewing it, and for the most part ignore the C31. Only focus on the C31 one if you're in a situation where it is impossible or imprudent for you to file I-485 (e.g. you have admin closed removal proceedings and you don't want to poke that bear just yet).

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Just now, Pinkrlion said:

yes

I really think you are putting a very tall order on VolksWagon99. That's like 3000 pages of posts.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

1 hour ago, shiva32 said:

I asked @Demisea similar question, and your assumption of "that one" IO is correct. There is no law against marrying after VAWA I360 approval prior to approval of green card, but its a very good idea to wait to remarry until after GC is approved. 

Yes, I’ve seen your previous communication here, I believe. As far as I remember, you’ve been inquiring about sponsoring a new(future) spouse. My fiancé is a USC, so no immigration paperwork is going to be involved whatsoever. But I see your point. 

It just sucks to wait two more years to be able to marry again. We’ll see how it goes, I suppose.

thank you.

Edited by Zzz___1

31 minutes ago, Demise said:

Mine was 4 pages with my RFE response being 3 pages. Like you want to be logical and to the point in your writing. You don't want something that was really bad (e.g. marital rape) to get lost in sea of petty concerns.

Like I agree that it shouldn't matter but I am willing to defer to Sandra when she says that she'd get denials for C09 renewals because the client recently got a C31.

C09:

Basis of eligibility: Pending I-485

Cost: Free (unless you had a fee waiver for I-485, where you have to pay the fee or get another fee waiver for renewals)

Validity: 2 years

Can have advance parole (combo card): Yes

C31:

Basis of eligibility: Approved I-360

Cost: Initial is free, renewals are $410 or you'll need a fee waiver

Validity: 1 year

Can have advance parole (combo card): No

Like I've been saying this for a while, just go with the C09, keep renewing it, and for the most part ignore the C31. Only focus on the C31 one if you're in a situation where it is impossible or imprudent for you to file I-485 (e.g. you have admin closed removal proceedings and you don't want to poke that bear just yet).

Now I feel stupid for writing my whole life story with him ehn, it is what it is I guess. 

36 minutes ago, luminarc said:

Now I feel stupid for writing my whole life story with him ehn, it is what it is I guess. 

If by your ‘Whole life story’ you mean the narrative of how you met your spouse and how things progressed into marriage and on to the abuse then you’re on point. Your ‘whole life story’ when it comes to proving your immigration case shouldn’t be from the point of your birth lol…mine was about 19 pages long I think… about 19 or 20. But very detailed. The affidavit not only explained my situation but answered some rfe in the process. You might also consider re-writing or editing it to capture only the important things..thereby reducing the volume. Everyone’s case is different.👍

4 hours ago, Nick2020 said:

Hi VJ family I got an update on my i-485. " New Card is being produced".

Finally it is over after 3 years.

congratulations, this is great!  God is good! so happy for you

can you please share when did you send your i693, and when did it arrive to uscis?  and how long did it take from the moment your i693 arrived to uscis to get your i485 approved?

I received a i693 rfe for my i485, I sent it and arrived to uscis on last week dec 9th, I am wondering how long it takes for the queens office to approve it once they have my i693, please let me know

4 minutes ago, Aadi135 said:

I agreed but i wrote my first statement which was 17 pages including photos. Story started how i met her in 1-2 pages and how we got married, why we got married and yet I received 4 page long RFE. I agreed all cases are different i lived barely 4 months with my wife and did not have much supporting documents. 

Agreed, 

Please dont feel like that. After I received my 2nd rfe which was 4 page long. I wrote detailed statement composing 27-28 pages. In my first statement i was more focused on abuse. In my second statement i was very perticular about all events that was missing from my first statement like how we met. How we dates. Where we been, what we did, what day, what time, how we met family, friends, celebrations, wedding apartment, where we kept what, when we bought what, how we bought. Everything. Got 3 supporting statements. However in 2nd statement I did not write anything about abuse I stopped writing where mu first statement started. Together it will go beyond 40 pages but thats all my heart out on those pages. Not everyone great at writing. Despite Stillwinning knows better than us still got 2-3 RFE’s. So I would say it all depends. I have seen people with 4 pages approved. More pages means more risk of making mistake. We might can even contradict our own story unknowingly but it is what it is. I really have left nothing more to offer as proof. So i wrote i all could. 

In all, nothing is as consistent as the truth! Complications arise mostly when the narrative is far fetched, bogus and all of that. When you pour out your heart, it flows from beginning through the end. I came to this family when I knew nothing about vawa already filed with the guidance of an opportunistic attorney (another story). I started researching more while thoroughly perusing VJ threads. I then realized I would be getting an rfe even before it came. Long story. It’s all behind me now.😊👍

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
24 minutes ago, marcoisland777 said:

congratulations, this is great!  God is good! so happy for you

can you please share when did you send your i693, and when did it arrive to uscis?  and how long did it take from the moment your i693 arrived to uscis to get your i485 approved?

I received a i693 rfe for my i485, I sent it and arrived to uscis on last week dec 9th, I am wondering how long it takes for the queens office to approve it once they have my i693, please let me know

I send responses on Nov 17 2021, it took exactly 1 month.

Feb - 18 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765 Filled  ( Vermont )

Feb - 25 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765  Received

Sep - 17 -2019   - I-765 Approved. (C9)

Jun - 20 - 2020  - I-765 Renewal Sent

Sep - 08 - 2020  - I-765 - Approved (C9)

Oct - 15 - 2020  -  RFE Received ( Good Faith Marriage )

Nov - 15 - 2020  - RFE Sent

Mar - 05 - 2021  - EAD Approved ( C31 )

Mar - 05 - 2021  - I-360 Approved 

Mar - 08 - 2021  - I-485 Case Moved to new office. 

May - 25 -2021  - I-360 Approval Notice Arrived

Nov - 12 -2021  - i-693 - Notice to Submit Medical

Nov - 17 -2021  - i-693 - Sent to USCIS 

Dec -16 2021 - I-485 Approved, GC in Production.

Field Office : Long Island, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.