2,964 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gheorghexxx said:

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!!!!! 
Finally I got my interview in December 6!!!!! Can anyone tell what kind of questions they ask?

Congratulations for your interview. Can you please Share which is your uscis office and when you filled i485 and your vawa was approved.  All the best to you!

1 hour ago, marcoisland777 said:

Congratulations for your interview. Can you please Share which is your uscis office and when you filled i485 and your vawa was approved.  All the best to you!

Filled Vawa to Vermont Center Feb 2018 no updates till this year (i360 i485 i765)

- March 2021 request help from congressman 

- September 2021 Vawa approved 

- December 6 interview 

Edited by Gheorghexxx

Thank you everybody! I am so extremely excited, when I am with friends sometimes I remind myself that I GOT A GREEN CARD and I just say it randomly, and all my friends are screaming and cheering and we are jumbing! I am so happy!  I still can't believe it!!! I keep checking my USCIS case on the website, even tho it clearly says CASE WAS APPROVED haha :D 

The only sad thing is that my family, back in my country didn't even bother to call me and ask how was my interview... They still don't know ( it was on the 23rd of November!!!!) , yet my friends from here called me right after the interview :( 

On 11/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, Sparkle said:

Congratulations to all those with recent approvals! @hazel.60 and all others, accept my heartiest felicitations on your grand approvals :)

We thank God for this forum daily :)

On 11/25/2021 at 6:57 PM, Lifeline_god said:

Congratulations.!! God is great.!! All the best for your new beginning.!!💪 

On 11/24/2021 at 11:35 AM, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

This is how the favor of God plays out…all things will work for our good! I’m smiling from ear to ear!😃 God will never share HIS glory with anyone! To God alone be all the adoration!🙏 Congratulations once more!🍾🥂🥳🌟💫

On 11/26/2021 at 1:19 PM, AJJU said:

Hello Family,

Finally after a long wait since i received the notice "Your Case has be transferred to another office on March 2nd". i received this notification.

Thanks for all your support and to my lawyer as well she has been very supportive every time also many times didn't even charged fees.

She kept a very strict fallow up on my case as well. May god bless her and all of you here. 

Regards

226085739_ScreenShot2021-11-26at3_05_44PM.jpg.ea28dff1d17cf283bf496325771aa817.jpg

Thats awesome! You should have your interview in about 4 weeks then! I would recommend you to start looking for the cheapest Medical exam, since most of them are about $350, I actually found one for $190! 

You have to have yor covid shots as well as a flu shot, many places offer flu shots for free, make sure you get that so the doctor at the Exam doesn't charge you extra for that 

On 11/25/2021 at 6:57 PM, Lifeline_god said:

Congratulations.!! God is great.!! All the best for your new beginning.!!💪 

Thank you darling ❤️ 

On 11/26/2021 at 7:24 AM, Gheorghexxx said:

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!!!!! 
Finally I got my interview in December 6!!!!! Can anyone tell what kind of questions they ask?

I was so lucky, I had an officer who was actually learning, and the "teacher" officer was right next to her, who turned out to know my lawyer lol.

They just went over the I 485 and made notes, as few things changed she was updating the form, they asked me all the questions, I provided my divorce decree as well as my work permits. 

BTW working without authorization is forgiven with  VAWA  so don't worry girls, and boys :)

Edited by hazel.60

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hi All, I am a Green Card holder that I got through VAWA. I divorced by abusive spouse 5 years ago and I filed for VAWA. It took me 4 years and it was last year when I got my Green card. This year I got married and my spouse is from outside of US and I am trying to sponsor my spouse for Green Card. I wanted to understand about this rule on the USCIS website which says as a Lawful permanent resident I cannot sponsor for new spouse. However, I want to understand if the green card that I got through VAWA is considered as a green card through prior marriage or not, and if this rule applies to me or not. Did anyone here file for their spouse
image.thumb.png.1a1a90a748155160513cdcf55e5481b7.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
7 hours ago, Desert Storm said:

Hi All, I am a Green Card holder that I got through VAWA. I divorced by abusive spouse 5 years ago and I filed for VAWA. It took me 4 years and it was last year when I got my Green card. This year I got married and my spouse is from outside of US and I am trying to sponsor my spouse for Green Card. I wanted to understand about this rule on the USCIS website which says as a Lawful permanent resident I cannot sponsor for new spouse. However, I want to understand if the green card that I got through VAWA is considered as a green card through prior marriage or not, and if this rule applies to me or not. Did anyone here file for their spouse

imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe

I believe yes its considered to be obtained from a previous marriage, so I would suggest you get your citizenship,  but that's just my thoughts.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
11 hours ago, Desert Storm said:

From @Demise - (I copy pasted her answer to a similar question I asked - see page 52 and 53 of this thread for further details):

"In regards to sponsoring another spouse, VAWA technically falls under "gained lawful permanent resident through a prior marriage to a USC or LPR". The requirements in this case are basically:

1. You've been an LPR for at least 5 years, or;

2. You've naturalized, or;

3. The prior marriage terminated due to death of your spouse, or;

4. You can establish by clear and convincing evidence (75% confidence, vs 51% confidence that US immigration benefits generally operate under) that you did not enter the prior marriage to evade any immigration laws.

So basically, either you wait until you naturalize, or you gather up any and all evidence that the prior marriage was legit and send that with the I-130 for the new spouse."

Even if your green card was approved through VAWA and the I360 approval required evidence that your marriage was legit, USCIS doesn't give a rat's patootie for the I130 for spouse. They wont refer to this past evidence/approval when adjudicating a new I130 for your spouse, you have to send evidence that previous marriage was legit along with your spousal I130 again. That is unless you have been an LPR for at least 5 years already, or you have already become a citizen. And they will use a higher standard of evidence, basically a rectal probe in to your past all over again. If you dont want to have to do this, sponsor spouse after 5 years of LPR or after you become a citizen, whichever is earlier. Please keep us posted of developments in your spousal sponsorship. I am going to be in a similar situation after I get my green card, and would like to keep in touch. You can also direct message me at any time. Let me know if any follow up questions. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 hours ago, Desert Storm said:

yes this rule applies to you.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 11/25/2021 at 8:42 PM, GeraldSG said:

"No i don't have to pay since i already paid for 1-485." that doesn't sound right?  I am pretty sure EAD/AP renewals, even though you first got them through I-485, are not free? They are only free if its the initial application with I-485, no?

No Fees payment required for EAD renewal for VAWA applicants. 

Feb - 18 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765 Filled  ( Vermont )

Feb - 25 - 2019  - I360/I-485/I-765  Received

Sep - 17 -2019   - I-765 Approved. (C9)

Jun - 20 - 2020  - I-765 Renewal Sent

Sep - 08 - 2020  - I-765 - Approved (C9)

Oct - 15 - 2020  -  RFE Received ( Good Faith Marriage )

Nov - 15 - 2020  - RFE Sent

Mar - 05 - 2021  - EAD Approved ( C31 )

Mar - 05 - 2021  - I-360 Approved 

Mar - 08 - 2021  - I-485 Case Moved to new office. 

May - 25 -2021  - I-360 Approval Notice Arrived

Nov - 12 -2021  - i-693 - Notice to Submit Medical

Nov - 17 -2021  - i-693 - Sent to USCIS 

Dec -16 2021 - I-485 Approved, GC in Production.

Field Office : Long Island, NY

19 minutes ago, balo101 said:

correction,

Fee is required if you did not pay for i-485 or do not send fee wavier. 

My marriage based I-485 was paid, and I received my EAD through that I-485. But I switched my I-130 with I-360. Therefore my understanding is that future EAD/AP renewals will be free of charge, correct? How early before the expiration date should I be renewing?

6 minutes ago, GeraldSG said:

My marriage based I-485 was paid, and I received my EAD through that I-485. But I switched my I-130 with I-360. Therefore my understanding is that future EAD/AP renewals will be free of charge, correct? How early before the expiration date should I be renewing?

Yes, you do not have to pay for your renewal since you already paid for i-485 which is pending now. 

it is advised to send 5 to 6 months before the expiration. 

Hi VJ family,

I know with covid Vermont is backed up. I have sent in my I360 a while ago and still not received the receipt notice. During this time I also requested the local office to hold my i485 in abeyance and they said they will do so if I show that my i360 was filed. 

What can I send them to prove this since I do not have the receipt notice yet and I have been waiting for a long time. Should I mail them the FedEx proof of service? Ie tracking number and screen shot package was delivered to Vermont USCIS office?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.