2,964 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, dreamer1 said:

yes, vawa approved

I have all my renewed EADs

I think I should get my medicals done ASAP 

Inquire about case through congressman. And sending your medicals without RFE is not going to hurt, but its a toss up if they will misplace it or not. Also check your processing time for I485, you might already be eligible for an out of normal processing time request. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Filed: Other Timeline
Just now, shiva32 said:

Inquire about case through congressman. And sending your medicals without RFE is not going to hurt, but its a toss up if they will misplace it or not. Also check your processing time for I485, you might already be eligible for an out of normal processing time request. 

I had actually sent and inquiry last week and they said they will get back to me in time. I just e-mailed my lawyer as well, Calling docs to get medical appointment set now. It will be ok. Perhaps they know and remember I am a Nurse lol, they check for everything USCIS does for work anyway, apart from STI

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, dreamer1 said:

I had actually sent and inquiry last week and they said they will get back to me in time. I just e-mailed my lawyer as well, Calling docs to get medical appointment set now. It will be ok. Perhaps they know and remember I am a Nurse lol, they check for everything USCIS does for work anyway, apart from STI

You give them too much credit. How kind of you. 

Try to get two sealed copies of medicals from doc. USCIS waived the requirement that medicals need to be sent within 60 days of doc issuing them, back in November 2021 I think. So even if they lose the copy of medicals you send initially, you will have a backup sealed copy to send if they send RFE for medicals later. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Just now, shiva32 said:

You give them too much credit. How kind of you. 

Try to get two sealed copies of medicals from doc. USCIS waived the requirement that medicals need to be sent within 60 days of doc issuing them, back in November 2021 I think. So even if they lose the copy of medicals you send initially, you will have a backup sealed copy to send if they send RFE for medicals later. 

yea, I just set up an appointment. Will push for 2 sealed copies even if i need to pay extra

and at this point in my life, things don't easily shake me up lol. been through enough to have nerves of steel :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, J2020 said:

Hi guys, 

I think upon receiving the approval notice, I have to file an i824 for USCIS to transfer my file to NVC so I can start the consular processing to get the immigration visa. 

1- does anyone know if the fees for i824 can be waved since I’m a vawa applicant? 

2- does anyone have an idea how I can file this form?

Do I mail it to Vermont service center?

if there’s any other thread that is discussing this kind of process, please share the link with me if possible 🙏

thank you all ❣️

You have to file a I-485, if you have never filed one in order to apply for your green card.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

4 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

You have to file a I-485, if you have never filed one in order to apply for your green card.  

Unfortunately I cannot adjust status with a 485 because I’m currently overseas with no advance parole or a visa to go back to the States. I have to file form i824 and go through consular processing 

Good evening  all. My husband has previously filed for me and I went for the i485 interview and requested it be kept in abeyance as I was advised here , however the office denied it immediately even after the officer officer assured me they would. So my ead was not renewed and I have been unemployed . My lawyer applied for a new ead for me but then I realized it was c31 and I learned that would only be approved after vawa approval which can take months to years . So I asked her I filed new i485 to get ead co9 . I applied for feee waiver . We submitted this since first Wk December and till now it has not been acknowledged. No receipt notices . The lawyer said the only option now is to refile as we cannot make an inquiry to Vermont without a receipt notice. Please is that the only option because it would then take longer to get an ead and this are already hard enough considering I also have to take care of my child. I asked if it was ignored because I applied for fee waiver but she said no. Please what is the best way to have this resolved . Other applications she put in after mine have all been acknowledged. I feel very exhausted already . Thank you somuch 

2 hours ago, Angelmia said:

Good evening  all. My husband has previously filed for me and I went for the i485 interview and requested it be kept in abeyance as I was advised here , however the office denied it immediately even after the officer officer assured me they would. So my ead was not renewed and I have been unemployed . My lawyer applied for a new ead for me but then I realized it was c31 and I learned that would only be approved after vawa approval which can take months to years . So I asked her I filed new i485 to get ead co9 . I applied for feee waiver . We submitted this since first Wk December and till now it has not been acknowledged. No receipt notices . The lawyer said the only option now is to refile as we cannot make an inquiry to Vermont without a receipt notice. Please is that the only option because it would then take longer to get an ead and this are already hard enough considering I also have to take care of my child. I asked if it was ignored because I applied for fee waiver but she said no. Please what is the best way to have this resolved . Other applications she put in after mine have all been acknowledged. I feel very exhausted already . Thank you somuch 

When i sent my renewal in the first week of October 2021. I did not receive my receipt notices until end of December.

So i reached out to my congress person. I provided them my A# and they were able to get me the receipts in 3 weeks.

I would say reach out to your congress/senator. They will help you to get the receipts. 

28 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

I’m guessing it’s the GC…actually praying it is! 🙏 do update us when you know more.🥳🎊🎉

I also think the same, actually also praying it’s the same. Going to get my medical Monday as I am sure they would realize that they missed asking for it soon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is Sunday, meaning that it's time for our Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke*:

*guaranteed to evoke approvals and positive progress, if correlation = causation

===============================

"WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ME, DOC?"

Into a doctor's office burst a frantic man who had a banana in his left ear, a carrot in his right ear, and a zucchini up his nose.

"What's the matter with me, Doc?!" he cried.

"You're not eating properly," said the doctor.

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

2 hours ago, J2020 said:

Hi everyone, 

Do you all pay $220 for the USCIS immigrant fee to issue and mail your actual green card? Or is it just the petitioners abroad?

Inside USA no you do not pay  mailing fee. 

I am not sure if USCIS charge to delivery abroad. Please consulate with an attorney or wait for someone knowledgeable give you any input. 

56 minutes ago, balo101 said:

Inside USA no you do not pay  mailing fee. 

I am not sure if USCIS charge to delivery abroad. Please consulate with an attorney or wait for someone knowledgeable give you any input. 

I’ve done a long research about the consular processing for vawa self petition because honestly there’s almost no helpful information about VAWA cases abroad on this website or anywhere 

unfortunately I have to pay all these fees and the green card immigrant fee to USCIS so they issue and mail my green card to my US address when I arrive in the US. Aside from the attorney’s legal fees, I’m looking at approximately $1000+ in USCIS and NVC consular processing and immigrant visa fees. On top of that I’ll have to pay other travel expenses. 

However looking at the bright side, I’m glad I don’t have any dependents to worry about paying all these fees for as well. 

Because it was so hard for me to find any information regarding the consular processing for vawa self petition and I had to spend a lot of time doing research and consulting with many attorneys, I’ll write a detailed post of my full process when I’m done to help others who are in the same situation.

Not many attorneys know what they are talking about esp for vawa consular processing and that’s a real issue. I honestly don’t want anyone to go through the same stress of looking for helpful information. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.