yourboy911

RFE: Should I remove my household member??? PLEASE HELP

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

After about 3 months of waiting for my documents to be submitted they finally were, and i was given an RFE..... :(

I added my brother as my household member to meet income requirements, but the issue came when I also added his wife. The reason I also added my brothers wife as my 2nd household member was because my brother filed his taxes jointly with her. Keep in mind she does not have any income, he just filed his taxes jointly. I saw in many forums that if your household member/joint sponsor has filed jointly sometime the embassy can give you issues for not submitting the spouses information.

The RFE basically states that my sister in law is not qualified to be a household member and that I should re add her as a Joint Sponsor. I now know that I was definitely supposed to add my brother as the Joint Sponsor and his wife as HIS household member, but its now too late for that as NVC already accepted all his documents as my household member. 

My Question now is, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

1. Would it be an issue to have my Sister in law as my joint sponsor, and my brother who technically is the one making the income stay as my household member? This is what nvc is basically saying to do, but I feel like thats not right to have her added as my joint sponsor with barely any income?

2. Should I take the risk and just not include my brothers wife. Technically I dont need any other income to meet the requirments since my brother and me should be enough. But I am worried that the embassy might come back and potentially cause issues down the line. 

3. I also heard of people submitting a letter requesting nvc to remove someone so they can re add them but I also heard that sometimes this makes the case go into AP and get lost for while. Maybe I can potentially remove my brother as a household member and re add him as my joint sponsor?? 

4. Any other thoughts or ideas of how I should approach this would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Respond to the RFE by submitting a new I-864 for you and another I-864 from your brother as the joint sponsor.

Timeline

I

8 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Respond to the RFE by submitting a new I-864 for you and another I-864 from your brother as the joint sponsor.

If I submit new forms, how will I remove my old I-864 for myself and my brother before adding the new one? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, yourboy911 said:

I

If I submit new forms, how will I remove my old I-864 for myself and my brother before adding the new one? 

NVC should take care of that when you respond to the RFE.  Include a cover letter explaining your mistake on the original I-864 and ask them to replace it with the new ones.

Timeline
1 minute ago, N900 said:

Did your brother file I864 or I864a?

he filed i864a, i added him as my household member. problem is i also added his wife as my household member. they gave me an RFE saying his wife is not qualified to be my household member and to add her as my Joint sponsor. she only has like 6k income a year and the only reason i added her was because i needed my brothers income to meet requirements which is 60k a year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.