seekingthetruth

BI asks Filipinos to be patient in waiting for foreign partners

18 posts in this topic

https://mb.com.ph/2021/10/07/bi-asks-filipinos-to-be-patient-in-waiting-for-foreign-partners/

BI asks Filipinos to be patient in waiting for foreign partners

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is asking restless Filipinos with foreign partners to be more calm and patient in waiting for their loved ones, promising that they would eventually be reunited.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente made the appeal as growing number of binational couples are joining the Internet hashtag “LoveIsNotTourism.”

The movement is aimed at the government to ease travel restriction to reunite couples with different nationalities who were separated by the global pandemic.

Morente said the final decision to relax the travel ban is with the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases (IATF).

“Once the IATF declares it is safe to travel, we will welcome you,” Morente told the restless and separated couples.

Morente expressed optimism that travel ban would soon ease as the government continues it’s massive vaccination drive.

Presently, only Filipinos and foreign nationals with valid and existing visas are allowed entry. Tourists are still banned.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

14 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Presently, only Filipinos and foreign nationals with valid and existing visas are allowed entry. Tourists are still banned.

I thought spouses of Filipinos could enter too. Is this incorrect? 

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 minute ago, jg121783 said:

Spouses can.  They fall under the "foreign nationals with valid and existing visas."  As a souse, you need to get a 9a before you go or receive a balikbayan on arrival.

Finally done.

10 minutes ago, Talako said:

Spouses can.  They fall under the "foreign nationals with valid and existing visas."  As a souse, you need to get a 9a before you go or receive a balikbayan on arrival.

I forgot about getting the 9a ahead of time as the last time I went to the Philippines they were issuing visas at the airport upon arrival. So if I understand correctly I can travel with my wife and receive the balikbayan on arrival without needing anything else ahead of time? Would this apply to our 3 year old who was born in the US? Next year if everything goes to plan will be my first time traveling to the Philippines since my wife and I got married. I know the balikbayan visa has been around for a while but other than that it seems like a lot has changed since my last visit.

Edit: Another question. My wife and step son will be applying for US citizenship soon (as soon as we save up for the application fee). Should they by chance become naturalized before our trip how would that affect our ability to enter the Philippines if at all and what additional steps would we have to take if any?

Edited by jg121783

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

40 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Would this apply to our 3 year old who was born in the US?

Edit: Another question. My wife and step son will be applying for US citizenship soon (as soon as we save up for the application fee). Should they by chance become naturalized before our trip how would that affect our ability to enter the Philippines if at all and what additional steps would we have to take if any?

Yes

When she gains US citizenship, she loses her Philippine citizenship.  So she can file to become a dual citizen or fall under the balikbayan program as a former Philippine citizen.  https://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/the-philippines-2/balikbayanprogram/

Finally done.

13 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Typical poor wording and lack of detail.  What Talako said it correct.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

On 10/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, seekingthetruth said:

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is asking restless Filipinos with foreign partners to be more calm and patient in waiting for their loved ones, promising that they would eventually be reunited.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente made the appeal as growing number of binational couples are joining the Internet hashtag “LoveIsNotTourism.”

To me it seems to show that the pressure is working. Every post that the BI makes gets flooded with complaints of keeping loved ones away who have not got married yet.

Follow up.  The BI Facebook page has a new post.  The comments are interesting and relevant, especially in the second link....

https://www.facebook.com/immigration.helpline.ph

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=232122982281885&set=a.224609806366536

Spouse

Stepdaughter

15 hours ago, RO_AH said:

To me it seems to show that the pressure is working. Every post that the BI makes gets flooded with complaints of keeping loved ones away who have not got married yet.

Is the person who does the Facebook post just someone they hired to post stuff?

Have you seen the US Embassy in Manila Facebook page, they have some idiot posting all their Facebook information, and I can promise you they are not american by the posts they always put out.

3 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Is the person who does the Facebook post just someone they hired to post stuff?

I believe they have BI staff that manage their page. They try real hard to keep a good image for BI. They also have people that respond to PM's with accurate correct information.

15 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I believe they have BI staff that manage their page. They try real hard to keep a good image for BI. They also have people that respond to PM's with accurate correct information.

Agree.  Everyone I know says positive things about the BI Facebook page and their responses.  I have used them several times and the responses were quick and helpful.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

10 hours ago, Butziee said:

Hi, i will be traveling with my wife (filipina citizen), do i need to apply for 9a visa as well?

I am pretty sure that you do not need a 9a visa when traveling with your Filipina spouse. If I were you I would ask that question to the BI on their FB page. Send them a PM, and they will respond.

13 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Yes I have asked them a few question via DM and they were quick to respond and on point, I will say I was impressed and they provided excellent customer service

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.