Justaguy27

Do I have to meet with my spouse after the CR-1 visa if we have already met before?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys sorry if this question has been asked before. 

We filed for the k1 visa back in September 2020 however we have been stuck in NVC hell since summer 2021. 

We are pllaning to move to the CR-1 visa now and just get married online. 

My question is since we have already met a few times in 2019 do we need to meet again after we get married next week? 

Meeting in costa risca or another country is an option however I'd rather avoid the expense if we can. 

A second question I have is so my SO is 23 will she need parental consent of any kind? 

Thanks in advance. 

7 minutes ago, Justaguy27 said:

We filed for the k1 visa back in September 2020 however we have been stuck in NVC hell since summer 2021. 

My question is since we have already met a few times in 2019 do we need to meet again after we get married next week? 

Meeting in costa risca or another country is an option however I'd rather avoid the expense if we can. 

A second question I have is so my SO is 23 will she need parental consent of any kind? 

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you will need to provide proofs that you are together during or after Online wedding on your I-130 petition.

Are you just waiting for K1 interview in Manila?  That seems to be moving along already.  Starting an IR-1, you will have new Priority Date, but at least spouse is coming in green card upon entry 1-2 years.

23 is adult, I do not think PC is needed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Justaguy27 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Online marriage/wedding need to be consummated to be relevant for Spousal visa. So you'll have to be physically together for the online wedding or you'll have to meet physically after the online wedding before sending spousal petition.

Yes, you still have to meet physically in order to satisfy the consummation requirements before filing the I130. You need proof like passport stamps, airline tickets, hotel bookings, etc. to prove you were in the same place at the same time after your marriage.

You only need parental advice (different from parental consent) if you were applying for a Philippine marriage license. Source: https://www.brides.com/get-married-in-the-philippines-2303484

However, if you're getting married online (I assume via Utah county), you just need to follow Utah county's requirements.

You could get 9a visa after online marriage and meet her in Philippines but you have to do 10 day quarantine I believe. But a lot cheaper than Costa Rica route.

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! 

Our K1 case is still stuck in NVC it has been stuck since April 2021 so I'm wondering if it would be faster for us to just switch over to the CR1 since we have not recieved any sort of status update as of yet. Not to mention from what I understand we are wayyy in the back of the line in k1s for the phillipines. We are almost at the point that we would rather have a gurantee of us knowing within atleast a year or so we can be together rather than still being stuck in the limbo that we are in. 

We are thinking things will begin to pick up for k1s the closer elections get...but really I feel like we are just taking a chance with that.

At the sametime however I do not want to waste a bunch of money  quartining for 10 days only to be able to spend 7 days with her afterwards...that sounds like a massive waste of money and time, but eh if that's the fastest way I might as well... 

6 minutes ago, Justaguy27 said:

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! 

Our K1 case is still stuck in NVC it has been stuck since April 2021 so I'm wondering if it would be faster for us to just switch over to the CR1 since we have not recieved any sort of status update as of yet. Not to mention from what I understand we are wayyy in the back of the line in k1s for the phillipines. We are almost at the point that we would rather have a gurantee of us knowing within atleast a year or so we can be together rather than still being stuck in the limbo that we are in. 

We are thinking things will begin to pick up for k1s the closer elections get...but really I feel like we are just taking a chance with that.

At the sametime however I do not want to waste a bunch of money  quartining for 10 days only to be able to spend 7 days with her afterwards...that sounds like a massive waste of money and time, but eh if that's the fastest way I might as well... 

There are some assumptions in your post which we need to address:

- "we would rather have a gurantee of us knowing within atleast a year or so we can be together rather than still being stuck in the limbo that we are in."

Be aware that there are no guarantees when it comes to US immigration. You may have an extremely fast spousal visa process. You might not. Typical timelines pre-COVID were 1.5 to 2 years. Some people on this board filed for the spousal visa pre-pandemic and are still waiting as of today. Others filed during the pandemic and already have the visa in hand. It depends on the background checks, the quality of your evidence, if there are any complications with your case, and plain old luck. Don't set yourself up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations.

- "We are thinking things will begin to pick up for k1s the closer elections get"

Do you mean the US midterm elections or PH national elections in 2022?

- "At the sametime however I do not want to waste a bunch of money  quartining for 10 days only to be able to spend 7 days with her afterwards...that sounds like a massive waste of money and time"

Whether you meet inside the PH or in a third country, the PH quarantine requirement still stands. If you go to the PH, you have to quarantine. If she travels abroad, she still has to quarantine after her return. It's just a matter of which one of you can better afford to spend that much time in quarantine.

22 minutes ago, Adventine said:

At the same time however I do not want to waste a bunch of money  quartining for 10 days only to be able to spend 7 days with her afterwards...

They just announced that fully vaccinated only have to quarantine for 7 days or less and can be let go to in house quarantine after the results are released after the 5 day test.  It saves a few days.  Total of 10 days instead of a total of 14.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

56 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

They just announced that fully vaccinated only have to quarantine for 7 days or less and can be let go to in house quarantine after the results are released after the 5 day test.  It saves a few days.  Total of 10 days instead of a total of 14.  

Still not good enough for me, I will not entertain being locked in a room alone on arrival.  Will they provide companionship at the hotels? Or do I need to stay in SOGO Hotel 😈

Since the first of this month Thailand's "Phuket Sandbox" is now open without quarantine to vaccinated Filipinos and Americans.  Thailand is also talking seriously about opening much of the rest of the country for vaccinated tourists on November 1 (although they haven't done it yet).  It makes Thailand an attractive third country for quarantine free meetings.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Thanks for the news, but the post you quoted was not from me. It was OP who said that, and I quoted what he said in my own post.

I quoted a quote.  Sorry about that. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, top_secret said:

Since the first of this month Thailand's "Phuket Sandbox" is now open without quarantine to vaccinated Filipinos and Americans.  Thailand is also talking seriously about opening much of the rest of the country for vaccinated tourists on November 1 (although they haven't done it yet).  It makes Thailand an attractive third country for quarantine free meetings.

Are they gonna make a single young female from Philippines do CFO to go to Thailand?   Have you heard any news on this?

How long does a US Citizen get to stay upon arrival in Thailand?  

12 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

Are they gonna make a single young female from Philippines do CFO to go to Thailand?   Have you heard any news on this?

How long does a US Citizen get to stay upon arrival in Thailand?  

Currently CFO is not a requirement for tourism travel by Filipinas and it never has been...... unless at the personal discretion of some BI Officer somewhere they say it is a requirement.  In that case it is a requirement.  But then again they can be offload someone for any reason, or no reason at all with or without CFO.  So the rules on that is that there are no rules.

The new Thai system is a vast improvement in that you can get in there without quarantine so it is doable.  However there are still some convoluted requirements that are rapidly changing.  I 'think' now an American still needs an online travel authorization but can get a visa on arrival for 60 days, extendible for another 30 days????  I believe Filipinos need a visa and a travel authorization which they can get online and is actually possible to get.  It's still a big mess and anyone going there should very carefully research the latest requirements but simply having ANYPLACE in Asia where someone can travel without quarantine is a game changer.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Justaguy27 said:

Thanks in advance. 

It's a gable either way. We have been at NVC since summer 2020 and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. I've seen people cancel their K1 and file CR1 and already have visa. But they filed late last year. It's frustrating to wait. It's taking a huge toll on my fiancée, her two kids and myself. There are days when I think we will probably not make it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.