Joe Kano

Duterte announces his retirement from Politics

32 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Drug dealers will be happy and so will the criminal element, but at least now Philippines should open after the May 2022 Presidential Elections:

Rodrigo Duterte, Philippines President, says he is retiring from politics at the end of his term - CNN

Manny Manny 

12 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Manny Manny 

Duterte did a lot to get rid of drugs and criminals in the Philippines.  Davao City used to be known as the murder capital of the Philippines.  He cleaned up Davao City

Do you remember when Davao Airport was bombed? When you fly in look opposite of the Terminal you use now and it's on the other side.  Will ABU-Sayaff return back to bombing and kidnapping in and around Davao City,  They did the night market bombing in Davao couple years ago and they also kidnapped and beheaded a couple of tourist from Samal Island couple of years ago, I am afraid they will return in to Davao City.

I was a fan of Duterte for the most part, I just didn't like how he handled the Philippines with all the lockdowns and quarantines. But he was doing his best to get rid of drugs, criminals and corruptions.  

I hated how Davao City had gotten bad in traffic the last few years due to so many people moving there, but last I heard from my nephew is traffic is much better now of day and many people have left Davao City and moved due to the stringent lockdown in Davao City.

Me myself I like the Philippines being kinda like the Wild West of the USA back in the late 1800's where it not many laws or at least they are not enforced.  

4 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Duterte did a lot to get rid of drugs and criminals in the Philippines.  Davao City used to be known as the murder capital of the Philippines.  He cleaned up Davao City

Do you remember when Davao Airport was bombed? When you fly in look opposite of the Terminal you use now and it's on the other side.  Will ABU-Sayaff return back to bombing and kidnapping in and around Davao City,  They did the night market bombing in Davao couple years ago and they also kidnapped and beheaded a couple of tourist from Samal Island couple of years ago, I am afraid they will return in to Davao City.

I was a fan of Duterte for the most part, I just didn't like how he handled the Philippines with all the lockdowns and quarantines. But he was doing his best to get rid of drugs, criminals and corruptions.  

I hated how Davao City had gotten bad in traffic the last few years due to so many people moving there, but last I heard from my nephew is traffic is much better now of day and many people have left Davao City and moved due to the stringent lockdown in Davao City.

Me myself I like the Philippines being kinda like the Wild West of the USA back in the late 1800's where it not many laws or at least they are not enforced.  

While I'm not a fan of his heavy handed tactics regarding drugs I think his heart was at least in the right place and he did a lot of good in other areas.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

While I'm not a fan of his heavy handed tactics regarding drugs I think his heart was at least in the right place and he did a lot of good in other areas.

I wish the pandemic hadn't hampered his tenure, I agree his heart was in the right place.  My best friend in Davao worked under Duterte for 30 years.  As far as the heavy handed tactics they did their due diligence on people the DDS went after, My first wife in the Philippines was from a fairly wealthy family and the father was a lawyer and also tax revenue when he passed the son became a trust fund son and got so much per month from real estate holding and also got an allowance. He turned into a drunk and gambler and drug user in Davao City.  Back in 2011 they put him on the hit list but I was told he was removed because of his family history.  

4 hours ago, jg121783 said:

While I'm not a fan of his heavy handed tactics regarding drugs

You can't look at the Philippines with Westerner glasses. imagine if where you live in America there was no 911. How would you get help fast if needed? Imagine if law enforcement had no shared database platforms to capture criminals from state to state and all a wanted person had to do is move?

Did you know that the year that Duterte started the killings in the Philippines the murder rate was below the previous year even if you counted all the drug dealers/users as being in that group?

I can't speak for all provinces, cities,, and barangays but where my wife lived warnings were posted all over to stop using drugs, go into rehab, or be killed. They were all warned.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, RO_AH said:

You can't look at the Philippines with Westerner glasses. imagine if where you live in America there was no 911. How would you get help fast if needed? Imagine if law enforcement had no shared database platforms to capture criminals from state to state and all a wanted person had to do is move?

Did you know that the year that Duterte started the killings in the Philippines the murder rate was below the previous year even if you counted all the drug dealers/users as being in that group?

I can't speak for all provinces, cities,, and barangays but where my wife lived warnings were posted all over to stop using drugs, go into rehab, or be killed. They were all warned.

Sorry I can't go along with the ends justifies the means mentality. As stupid as it is to use drugs you shouldn't be killed for simple drug use. I would argue you shouldn't even be killed for selling drugs. All of that aside assuming the penalty for such crimes is death you should at least have a fair trial before you are executed.  I agree the Philippines is different from the US and that is why I said Duterte's heart is in the right place. I just can't go along with summary executions under any circumstances.

2 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Sorry I can't go along with the ends justifies the means mentality. As stupid as it is to use drugs you shouldn't be killed for simple drug use. I would argue you shouldn't even be killed for selling drugs. All of that aside assuming the penalty for such crimes is death you should at least have a fair trial before you are executed.  I agree the Philippines is different from the US and that is why I said Duterte's heart is in the right place. I just can't go along with summary executions under any circumstances.

Back when I first started going to the Philippines back in 2007 time frame, the penalty for Drug Trafficking was the Death Penalty in Philippines.  I remember when you entered the Philippines on the plane they would give you the customs/duty paper work to fill out and it was in red bold letters stating Drug Trafficking in Philippines is the Death Penalty.  

I think that changed somewhere in the 2011 to 2015 time frame, but it's there country their rules, I just play the game there

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Joe Kano said:

Back when I first started going to the Philippines back in 2007 time frame, the penalty for Drug Trafficking was the Death Penalty in Philippines.  I remember when you entered the Philippines on the plane they would give you the customs/duty paper work to fill out and it was in red bold letters stating Drug Trafficking in Philippines is the Death Penalty.  

I think that changed somewhere in the 2011 to 2015 time frame, but it's there country their rules, I just play the game there

Iirc that's pretty standard for Southeast Asian countries.  Shame we don't have Duterte in the Southwest to clean up the Mexican cartels.

My girlfriend is a Marcos fan.  From what I understand his policies are basically the same as Duterte except with more corruption?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Regardless of what your political side is, whether you're pro or anti Digong... I think it's refreshing to see a different kind of politician as the President.  Yeah, I think I am biased because I grew up in Davao City, where I experienced De Guzman and Duterte as mayors.  De Guzman as a mayor, there were a lot of kids sniffing solvent and looking for a chance to pick pocket.  I go to a college where you see a lot of these activities, in fact I was a victim of this.  I remember when Duterte was not the mayor, motorcycle tandem tried to grab a nurse student's bag, and when she resisted, she was shot point blank.  When Digong became the mayor, I remember, my cousin's brother in law, who is a member of a gang said that he is going to CDO because of Digong.  Who then was enjoying all these?  Me, my family, and the rest of the law-abiding Dabawenyos.  Honestly, if you are not doing anything illegal, why will you be afraid?  When I was in college, where we had to study long nights for an exam the next day, we can safely/freely go to a minute burger around the corner around 1:00 or 3:00 in the morning and not worry that a drug addict will attack us.

Law and Order is important.  If there is law and order, progress will follow.  

Also, I will never side with the drug lords and drug pushers, they ruin the filipino children, the future of the Philippines.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also, people thinking that since Digong because the president, there were a lot of EJK.  I mean, who knows if these are the doings of other drug lords to silence their drug pushers.  Or policemen who wanted to kill the drug pushers that they are connected so that no one will point them.  There are a lot of possibilities.  And the elaborated numbers of "killing" are ridiculous.  If it is true, then everyday, you will see bodies in the gutter.

9 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Also, people thinking that since Digong because the president, there were a lot of EJK.  I mean, who knows if these are the doings of other drug lords to silence their drug pushers.  Or policemen who wanted to kill the drug pushers that they are connected so that no one will point them.  There are a lot of possibilities.  And the elaborated numbers of "killing" are ridiculous.  If it is true, then everyday, you will see bodies in the gutter.

Do you think there was a DDS?

12 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Regardless of what your political side is, whether you're pro or anti Digong... I think it's refreshing to see a different kind of politician as the President.  Yeah, I think I am biased because I grew up in Davao City, where I experienced De Guzman and Duterte as mayors.  De Guzman as a mayor, there were a lot of kids sniffing solvent and looking for a chance to pick pocket.  I go to a college where you see a lot of these activities, in fact I was a victim of this.  I remember when Duterte was not the mayor, motorcycle tandem tried to grab a nurse student's bag, and when she resisted, she was shot point blank.  When Digong became the mayor, I remember, my cousin's brother in law, who is a member of a gang said that he is going to CDO because of Digong.  Who then was enjoying all these?  Me, my family, and the rest of the law-abiding Dabawenyos.  Honestly, if you are not doing anything illegal, why will you be afraid?  When I was in college, where we had to study long nights for an exam the next day, we can safely/freely go to a minute burger around the corner around 1:00 or 3:00 in the morning and not worry that a drug addict will attack us.

Also, I will never side with the drug lords and drug pushers, they ruin the filipino children, the future of the Philippines.

Thanks for the insight from someone who grew up and lived in Davao City.

I am always nervous giving young kids money in the Philippines, I have been told they will only go out and buy rugby to sniff.  I have seen some street children in Legazpi area who live in parking lots and need food, these poor kids are truly street kids and it just amazes me the Philippines Government allows street children to have to live like that.

I do give out food from fast food, but once you start to give out food or money they will come out of the woodworks and swamp you.   That is one of my biggest complaint about the Philippines is how children and animal are treated over there.

19 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Honestly, if you are not doing anything illegal, why will you be afraid?

Except that they might summarily execute the wrong person. That is why I believe in due process and innocent until proven guilty. 

Law and order means you get a fair trial where you are found guilty of the crime you are accused of before you are punished instead of being taken out back and having a bullet put in your head based merely on an accusation.

Also , I will never side with the drug lords and drug pushers, they ruin the filipino children, the future of the Philippines.

I will never side with them either. That doesn't mean I have to side with people who support summary punishment.

7 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

I am always nervous giving young kids money in the Philippines, I have been told they will only go out and buy rugby to sniff.  I have seen some street children in Legazpi area who live in parking lots and need food, these poor kids are truly street kids and it just amazes me the Philippines Government allows street children to have to live like that.

When I was in the Philippines I gave some money to some young children living on the streets. My wife got upset and told me not to do that. I asked why and she said because they will buy drugs with the money. The next time we bought them some food instead.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, jg121783 said:

Law and order means you get a fair trial where you are found guilty of the crime you are accused of before you are punished instead of being taken out back and having a bullet put in your head based merely on an accusation.

It would be nice to live in a nation so vastly wealthy and where crime is so scarce that resources are available to provide a fair trial for each accused.  Even in wealthy western nations the system would collapse immediately if defendants stopped taking plea deals.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.