rheibss

Bringing my nephew to US

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'am a US resident and my husband is a citizen. Last month my sister passed away and my husband and I would like to bring her son who is 8 years in the US

Can you please tell me what is the best and legal way to take ?

I will appreciate your help, thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can not sponsor a nephew as a LPR or USC

Is the Father alive?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

You can not sponsor a nephew as a LPR or USC

Is the Father alive?

Oh ok, Yes he is alive but our family has been taking care of the boy since small.

There is no other solution?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Student Visa? Not going to be cheap.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

25 minutes ago, rheibss said:

Oh wow, he is 8 years old

Ok thanks a lot

Unfortunately you are not a parent of the child, and so there is no path to bringing him to the US. If there is no family to care for him at home you may need to return to look after him, this is what others have done in similar situations. 

8 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I think you might be able to adopt him if the father signs documents, but that depends on the laws of the country where the boy lives. I suggest contacting a lawyer there. If you and your husband adopt him, then you could get a green card for him.

Adoption for immigration is more complicated than that. The laws of the country may mean OP can adopt but that does not necessarily mean they can bring the child to the US. For example, if the child does not meet either Hague Convention (Ivory Coast is not a signatory) or orphan processes,  they have to have two years of physical (live with) and legal custody of the child abroad before bringing him to the US.

https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Unfortunately you are not a parent of the child, and so there is no path to bringing him to the US. If there is no family to care for him at home you may need to return to look after him, this is what others have done in similar situations. 

Ok thanks, i will have to discuss with my husband then 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I think you might be able to adopt him if the father signs documents, but that depends on the laws of the country where the boy lives. I suggest contacting a lawyer there. If you and your husband adopt him, then you could get a green card for him.

Thank you for your advice, i see another comment that says it is not possible. There is a link i will read

43 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Adoption for immigration is more complicated than that. The laws of the country may mean OP can adopt but that does not necessarily mean they can bring the child to the US. For example, if the child does not meet either Hague Convention (Ivory Coast is not a signatory) or orphan processes,  they have to have two years of physical (live with) and legal custody of the child abroad before bringing him to the US.

https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption

The 2 year requirement is only for the "family based petitions" and is required for children in countries that signed the Hague petition. So if Ivory Coast did not sign it, it seems they don't need the requirement.  I might be wrong. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Adoption-Process/how-to-adopt/adopting-a-relative-for-immigration.html

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

The 2 year requirement is only for the "family based petitions" and is required for children in countries that signed the Hague petition. So if Ivory Coast did not sign it, it seems they don't need the requirement.  I might be wrong. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/Intercountry-Adoption/Adoption-Process/how-to-adopt/adopting-a-relative-for-immigration.html

You are right i didn't se Ivory coast among the countries that signed. 

Thank you for the info, i do appreciate it.

20 hours ago, Coco8 said:

They could legally adopt him but unless there is an extreme circumstance (ie Dad is in jail) the adoption can be legal in the boy's home country and still not work for US family immigration :(. An absentee father is still a father. :( 

I wish this were different. We'd have adopted  nephews years ago if we could hav, and we even met the 2 yr living requirement for Hague countries (in our case).

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

They could legally adopt him but unless there is an extreme circumstance (ie Dad is in jail) the adoption can be legal in the boy's home country and still not work for US family immigration :(. An absentee father is still a father. :( 

I wish this were different. We'd have adopted  nephews years ago if we could hav, and we even met the 2 yr living requirement for Hague countries (in our case).

Sorry to hear that you couldn't, by reading the links posted and what others say it's not an easy process and the requirements don't allow us do it😒

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.