danb1978

New Documents Needed For Interview After Being Dq'd for Over a Year?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm scheduled for my interview at the end of October after waiting at DQ since Sept 2020. I am F11 Category (Unmarried Son of US Citizen Over 21).

I filed my DS-260 in April 2020 with the necessary documents.

Due to the length of time between filing the DS-260 and now, i'm currently trying to work out if i need to upload new documents eg Police Certificate/AOS/Tax Return/Passport Pictures(as they are now over 12m old)  or if i can just simply take them to the London Embassy? Does anybody know the definitive answer? And if they need to be uploaded, where do i do that?

I haven't been instructed by the NVC or the Embassy that i need new documents but from reading a few posts on here it seems i will need them with it being over 12m since filing. I've got no issue getting them if needed but i just didnt want to turn up at the London Embassy and be denied because i hadn't uploaded them beforehand. 

I've dropped a Contact Us form on both USCIS and the London Embassy and i have had no reply. 

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. 

Dan 

1 hour ago, danb1978 said:

I've got no issue getting them if needed but i just didnt want to turn up at the London Embassy and be denied because i hadn't uploaded them beforehand.

Your visa will not be denied just because of outdated documents.  At most, the consul officer will give you a 221g letter to provide the updated document after the interview.  In that case, your visa status will be set as temporarily refused until you submit whatever is required on the 221g.

I suggest you bring updated passport photos and your sponsor's 2020 tax transcripts to the interview.  If there were any major changes with their financial circumstances, bring their updated I-864 as well.  Police certificate should be valid for 2 years, but the CO has discretion to ask for a more recent one.  The CO will tell you if any of the documents need to be uploaded to CEAC.

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Your visa will not be denied just because of outdated documents.  At most, the consul officer will give you a 221g letter to provide the updated document after the interview.  In that case, your visa status will be set as temporarily refused until you submit whatever is required on the 221g.

I suggest you bring updated passport photos and your sponsor's 2020 tax transcripts to the interview.  If there were any major changes with their financial circumstances, bring their updated I-864 as well.  Police certificate should be valid for 2 years, but the CO has discretion to ask for a more recent one.  The CO will tell you if any of the documents need to be uploaded to CEAC.

Thank you Chancy.

A couple more questions if i may?

Is there any way of uploading these documents in advance of the interview to CEAC to alleviate the possibility of being temporarily refused? The option is greyed out on my account due to their being existing documents and the case being passed to the embassy. 

If not and i get to the point of the interview and am temporarily refused until they receive the updated documents. Do you know by any chance how long these things take to clear up if the documents are uploaded immediately? Could it be a case of another few months of patiently waiting? Or is it usually quicker? Also is there a chance that the interviewer would just accept the documents there and then?

Dan 

5 minutes ago, danb1978 said:

Is there any way of uploading these documents in advance of the interview to CEAC to alleviate the possibility of being temporarily refused?

You may add the documents under the "Additional AOS Supporting Documentation" and/or "Optional Documents" sections in CEAC.  But I'm not sure if the COs in London prefer that approach over getting the paper documents at the visa interview.

Requesting input from @Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You may add the documents under the "Additional AOS Supporting Documentation" and/or "Optional Documents" sections in CEAC.  But I'm not sure if the COs in London prefer that approach over getting the paper documents at the visa interview.

Requesting input from @Wuozopo

I don’t know anything about the actual uploading process or what the screens look like. I was K1 and was in and out of NVC in two days.  

Lately the COs have given out 221g slips to IR1/CR1s who need to provide more documents. Even if they bring a copy of the document, they are told to go home and upload.

42 minutes ago, danb1978 said:

Do you know by any chance how long these things take to clear up if the documents are uploaded immediately? Could it be a case of another few months of patiently waiting? Or is it usually quicker?

I’d say give it three days average for them to get back to your case and finish the processing. You shouldn’t be delayed more than a week. They have been quite fast lately. 

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I don’t know anything about the actual uploading process or what the screens look like. I was K1 and was in and out of NVC in two days.  

Lately the COs have given out 221g slips to IR1/CR1s who need to provide more documents. Even if they bring a copy of the document, they are told to go home and upload.

I’d say give it three days average for them to get back to your case and finish the processing. You shouldn’t be delayed more than a week. They have been quite fast lately. 

Ah brilliant. I could handle a week! I was worried it was going to delay things by a lot longer if it had to go back to NVC and work its way through their system. When i was applying, i was missing something and it added another 2-3 months onto the process that's why i was worrying.

I've found the place on CEAC that @Chancy mentioned so i may as well just ask my sponsor to upload the new Tax Return and possibly an updated AOS to there so that its in place for the interview and i will upload new passport photos, i had already applied for a new police record thinking that it expired after a year, i didnt realise it was two years but i guess it wont harm anything uploading that also.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated!  It's all such a minefield but hopefully i'm getting there now 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
18 minutes ago, danb1978 said:

I was worried it was going to delay things by a lot longer if it had to go back to NVC and work its way through their system.

Nah. You’re done with NVC.  The consulate CO can see/access everything you upload. I think they just want it all digital and can’t be arsed to scan and upload themselves if you bring it to the interview. Both NVC and consulate are part of the Department of State so all on the same system for viewing documents. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.