GreenDoggie

No detail given on Misrepresentation 212(a)(6)(C)(I) on the refusal letter

90 posts in this topic

Received a notice from the US embassy that the visa was refused on the basis of Misrepresentation 212(a)(6)(C)(I). The part of the refusal letter where the details of 212(a)(6)(C)(I) was left BLANK. My lawyer asked twice via email for details so she can craft an appropriate response for the I-601 waiver. All she got from the embassy was quote, "212(a)(6)(C)(I) was already associated with the beneficiary from another agency’s finding."

When asking for clarification, the embassy repeated this sentence-literally. The embassy refuses to give any details, forcing my lawyer to craft a waiver in the dark. 

My lawyer is looking back in the record to see what the embassy can possibly mean by "another agency's finding" and crafting a wavier based on that. I feel that the embassy is deliberately being ambiguous to set us up for failure. 

Can they do this legally? They deny, and give no details about it. I think they're making this up, hoping that I'll just give up and go away. 

What can/should be done?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for asking. 

They asked a lot of question, but how do I know which is what they want to know about? On the I-601, if I take a guess about what they're asking about and I get it wrong, won't they use that as ground for denial? I feel like that's how they're setting me up for failure.

It said on the denial letter: "212(a)(6)(C)(I) was already associated with the beneficiary from another agency’s finding." Despite asking for specifics about this, they refused to say anything. Maybe they're keeping it obscure because they don't have solid reasoning for outright denial and hope I'll go away?

I've been looking in the forum, but I have yet to find a case where the reason for 212(a)(6)(C)(I) is left blank. 

Edited by GreenDoggie

1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

They must have solid evidence to determine inadmissibility due to misrepresentation.

Try going through your interview in detail: was there anything the interviewing agent insisted on? If you were in the US before, criminal records, previous applications?

Yes, but which one are they asking about? You'd think they tell you, unless they're being deliberately difficult. 

14 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Which one? So there is indeed misrepresentation in your case?

I thought you asked if I been in the US before; if there's a criminal record (case which got dropped, so no); and a previous application. 

I meant yes to some of them, and those were asked during the interview. None of them is a misrepresentation because I explained it in details in the application (in the I-130, I think?) and during the interview. It's not a misrepresentation if I'd been upfront and truthful about everything, no?

5 minutes ago, GreenDoggie said:

I thought you asked if I been in the US before; if there's a criminal record (case which got dropped, so no); and a previous application. 

I meant yes to some of them, and those were asked during the interview. None of them is a misrepresentation because I explained it in details in the application (in the I-130, I think?) and during the interview. It's not a misrepresentation if I'd been upfront and truthful about everything, no?

If you've had previous applications, the misrepresentation can be related to that old one, not necessarily the most recent one.

10 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you've had previous applications, the misrepresentation can be related to that old one, not necessarily the most recent one.

It could be, although I don't know how, since I've been truthful and upfront about everything...But that the thing: What if it's NOT about that, and I wrote the I-601 based on it? Won't they deny it because I didn't give them what they were looking for? Also, if I told them everything already, what more can I add? 

That's why I think they're setting me up to fail, and I got to find another way, to which I don't know yet. 

Edited by GreenDoggie

Appreciate the help.

This may sound like I'm just bitching, but why wouldn't they straight-up tell me what they perceive to be the misrepresentation other than wanting to be difficult, or trying to make me fail? If they MUST have evidence for misrepresentation, why don't they disclose it? Doesn't it work like that in court?

They don't have the obligation to disclose anything? Then they are just being difficult; no intention to help. 

Anyways...Thank you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.