AbdulAhad

How to get a High School student visa?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey, I'm 15 years old living in Pakistan, I want a high school student visa, I'm currently in the board of secondary education of karachi, I'm okay at academics but this year it didn't go good due to COVID, BSEK (Board of Secondary education of Karachi) is quite unfair on checking too, you can check it's reputation, how do I start the whole process?

Timeline
1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

You can apply to a private high school and get an I-20.  Then you can file for an F1 student visa.  You will need to show that you have the money for tuition and living expenses.

If you are looking for just 1 year, then you can do a student exchange program. 

Being realistic, does your family have $20,000 to spend on your US high school education every year for the next 3-4 years?

Hey, thank you for the quick reply, So private high school is gonna be a good option? Any good school recommendations in Chicago, because my mom's friend lives there, forgot to mention sorry, he's gonna cover all my expenses, and yes I want to move there forever, and not an exchange progam, so I should get started pretty quickly, thank you for all the advice!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

You can look into exchange programs. Rotary Club for instance, but I don't know if they are in Pakistan. Some churches also have exchange programs. Maybe the state department has something, but it might be for college students (I remember they having some programs in the Middle East).

Hey, thank you for the reply, but I'm planning to move permanently, so I don't think exchange programs will work, thanks for the help though!

13 minutes ago, AbdulAhad said:

Hey, thank you for the reply, but I'm planning to move permanently, so I don't think exchange programs will work, thanks for the help though!

Any student visa is not an immigrant visa, so moving permanently is NOT an option. You will only receive the visa if you have strong ties to your country. If they think you only want to stay in the US, then you will be denied. Using a student visa as a means of immigrating to the US is fraud and you can end with a ban.

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

You can apply to a private high school and get an I-20.  Then you can file for an F1 student visa.  You will need to show that you have the money for tuition and living expenses.

If you are looking for just 1 year, then you can do a student exchange program. 

Being realistic, does your family have $20,000 to spend on your US high school education every year for the next 3-4 years?

The above.

to add/clarify, you can get a F1 for a public high school, but it can’t be for longer than one year and you have to pay the full unsubsidized cost of school attendance. If you want to complete high school in the US then a private school is the only way to do it. (I’d also add a lot of private schools charge a lot more than $20k a year in fees, and then there is also living expenses, flights etc.)

32 minutes ago, AbdulAhad said:

Any good school recommendations in Chicago, because my mom's friend lives there, forgot to mention sorry, he's gonna cover all my expenses

You have to look for boarding schools in Chicago, then. It's going to be very expensive because on top of tuition, you have to pay extra for living on campus and all of your meals. You have to add medical insurance on top of that, which, if I have to guess, could be 500 dollars per month. There is NO WAY you can leave with this family friend, because he is not a parent or guardian. Thus, living in Chicago is not necessary.

Boarding school can be AT LEAST 35,000 a year. And that's IF you get admitted, because many of these schools are very restricted. Moreover, I'm guessing you are not Catholic so that restricts the schools you could go to (and probably those are the cheapest). 

Also, I'm not sure how you can prove someone that's not a relative is going to pay for tuition and all the expenses. He might have to pay ahead or something, I just don't know.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Any student visa is not an immigrant visa, so moving permanently is NOT an option. You will only receive the visa if you have strong ties to your country. If they think you only want to stay in the US, then you will be denied. Using a student visa as a means of immigrating to the US is fraud and you can end with a ban.

Can't I later on just apply for an immigrant visa inside the US?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
34 minutes ago, AbdulAhad said:

A student visa is a NON-IMMIGRANT visa.  Wanting to move permanently to the US is the MOST COMMON reason to DENY a student visa applicant.

There is NO PATH to live permanently in the US with a student visa.

Has your mom's friend look into the cost of private high school?  It seems that you all may be misguided into thinking that you can come and go to public school in the US for free.  Is your mom's friend willing to pay $100,000 for you to go to a US high school?  That's very generous and will be very suspicious to the US Embassy.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
1 minute ago, AbdulAhad said:

Can't I later on just apply for an immigrant visa inside the US?

Your CURRENT intention to VIOLATE the NON-IMMIGRANT requirements of a STUDENT VISA by wanting to IMMIGRATE AT THIS POINT is the MOST COMMON reason to deny you a STUDENT VISA.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, AbdulAhad said:

Oh, I guess I am asking for the wrong visa then, how do I exactly immigrate to the US then as a minor?

You would need to have a qualified US family member who can sponsor you for an immigration visa.

If wanting to immigrate to the US as a minor was a thing, there would billions of kids who would immigrate to the US by themselves.  Minors with no parents.  Not something that happens in life.  So, it's not a thing.  There is no immigrating to the US because you are a minor.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.