Joe Kano

Adult Adoption - USA

25 posts in this topic

Fairly simple process at least in Texas to do an adult adoption.  So once that happens and say for example an US Citizen is married to pinay and they are living in USA, and the pinay adopts the stepson whom is age 25 will he become a legal Philippines Citizen and be able to get a Philippines Passport?

I would also assume he would inherit any land/house in the Philippines in case the father (USC) dies, or at least half of it if a will was made, if and when purchase land/houses in the Philippines

So this would be a work around of US not being able to own land in the Philippines? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sorry but i do not understand this sentence

"So this would be a work around of US not being able to own land in the Philippines?"

and why couldn't any of us own land in the Philippines / is there a law or rule?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1st off the child must be adopted before the age of 16 in the Philippines.     The rest  ....    😵

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/adoption/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
24 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

"So this would be a work around of US not being able to own land in the Philippines?"

and why couldn't any of us own land in the Philippines / is there a law or rule?

He probably meant USC and yes, foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

He probably meant USC and yes, foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines. 

thank u for information

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

1st off the child must be adopted before the age of 16 in the Philippines.     The rest  ....    😵

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/adoption/

Son is US Citizen, born in the USA and living in the USA.   His wife is from the Philippines and the adoption would all take place in Texas.  It is her stepson my marriage

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

Same reason US Citizens can't work at most any job that requires a professional License in the Philippines, you must be a Philippines Citizens to even sit for the exams even if you went to school in the Philippines.

Same reason you see a employment ad in the Philippines and it says must be Female,  between age 18 to 24, above 5' 2" tall, clear complexion with a nice smile and no acme, it's just the way the country is ran.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joe Kano said:

Son is US Citizen, born in the USA and living in the USA.   His wife is from the Philippines and the adoption would all take place in Texas.  It is her stepson my marriage

Same issue in regards to child obtaining Philippine citizenship, adoption would have to meet Philippine law.  The adoption may be all fine and good in Texas, but ... always a butt ...    the adoption has to be accepted by the Philippines and the age requirements are different.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Fairly simple process at least in Texas to do an adult adoption.  So once that happens and say for example an US Citizen is married to pinay and they are living in USA, and the pinay adopts the stepson whom is age 25 will he become a legal Philippines Citizen and be able to get a Philippines Passport?

I would also assume he would inherit any land/house in the Philippines in case the father (USC) dies, or at least half of it if a will was made, if and when purchase land/houses in the Philippines

So this would be a work around of US not being able to own land in the Philippines? 

Highly doubt that Philippines citizenship works like this.  Automatic citizenship to an adult 25 years old adoptee.  How many countries do you know allows this?

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Same issue in regards to child obtaining Philippine citizenship, adoption would have to meet Philippine law.  The adoption may be all fine and good in Texas, but ... always a butt ...    the adoption has to be accepted by the Philippines and the age requirements are different.

Incorrect:  This would be done inside the USA and outside Philippines jurisdictions

This is for Inheritance rights first and foremost.

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

What gets decided in an adult adoption case?

An adult adoption:

• Makes the adopted adult the son or daughter of the adoptive parent(s)
  • Creates the adopted adult’s right to inherit from the adoptive parents
    • The adopted adult no longer inherits from or through the adopted adult’s biological parents.

Adult Adoption in Texas - FAQs | Texas Law Help

9 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

would also assume he would inherit any land/house in the Philippines in case the father (USC) dies, or at least half of it if a will was made, if and when purchase land/houses in the Philippines

How would the father own land in the Philippines in the first place that the son (stepson of the Philippines mother) could inherit?

31 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

How would the father own land in the Philippines in the first place that the son (stepson of the Philippines mother) could inherit?

Excellent question, I will ask him when when we chat again, I finally talked to him via FB Messenger phone call this morning, He says he spends most of his day watching them build the house.

I suspect he has made her sign some type of contract saying he has 1/2 ownership in the house/land and in case it is sold without both parties agreement she would owe him so much money, that is my guess.  He was my business partner for year and I know they did a prenup before she came to the USA 20 years ago and they did a few post nups each time he acquired another house.   All there cash is still in USA bank, and her 401K, etc.   He has 3 fully paid off rent houses in USA that he gets income on and he has a social security disability he is drawing as well.  They are cash heavy and living in a house in Philippines they built for her mother, who passed away about 3 months after they arrived there, which was one reason they moved to spend time with her.  

But that is good question I will find out the answer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.