sb3570

I-134 joint sponsor

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

I have a question about the i134 affidavit of support. 
my fiancé lives with me in Ireland so he has no American income, i know we will need a joint sponsor for the i134.

we are thinking of asking his mom to be the joint sponsor however she is retired. Will she be able to use her retirement payments for the i134 and also how much income will she need. Does her income have to be enough for a household size of her own household and then also my fiancé and I or just on a 2 people household of my fiancé and I.

thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

2 important things

1 has he been filing US tax returns 

2 age of the mom   /this is invasive question but if mom is 90 her future income is not that secure 

if mom just retired (or did it early like me) then future income is more likely secure 

he does need US residency and he will be the primary sponsor filing out the I 134/ she will be joint sponsor 

i believe it is her household size plus the 1 immigrant (from reading other posts on this issue)

He is going to need US income ASAP as the AOS is $1225 to adjust your status after marriage in US

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

2 important things

1 has he been filing US tax returns 

2 age of the mom   /this is invasive question but if mom is 90 her future income is not that secure 

if mom just retired (or did it early like me) then future income is more likely secure 

he does need US residency and he will be the primary sponsor filing out the I 134/ she will be joint sponsor 

i believe it is her household size plus the 1 immigrant (from reading other posts on this issue)

He is going to need US income ASAP as the AOS is $1225 to adjust your status after marriage in US

hi thanks for replying!

1. He filed taxes this year for 2020 but other than that he hasn’t filed in a good few years

2. His mom is around 75

3. He plans on finding a job before moving/when we get there but we will have all the money saved up before we move to pay for our wedding and AOS etc

Will her age be a problem? Would we better off getting someone else to be the joint sponsor?

Timeline
1 hour ago, sb3570 said:

hi thanks for replying!

1. He filed taxes this year for 2020 but other than that he hasn’t filed in a good few years

2. His mom is around 75

3. He plans on finding a job before moving/when we get there but we will have all the money saved up before we move to pay for our wedding and AOS etc

Will her age be a problem? Would we better off getting someone else to be the joint sponsor?

if he has US income , then  i wouldn't think her age would be an issue 

NVC stage will decide if the joint sponsor is good to go/  i was able to use my retirement with a little difficultly as it is non taxable as it appears on tax returns 

but keep in mind ,  i was dealing with high fraud country and u are not

Timeline
22 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

if he has US income , then  i wouldn't think her age would be an issue 

NVC stage will decide if the joint sponsor is good to go/  i was able to use my retirement with a little difficultly as it is non taxable as it appears on tax returns 

but keep in mind ,  i was dealing with high fraud country and u are not

I just had a look at the i134 form and can I ask what you put down for the employment details questions since you were retired. Did you just write N/A?

Timeline
1 minute ago, sb3570 said:

I just had a look at the i134 form and can I ask what you put down for the employment details questions since you were retired. Did you just write N/A?

well  mine was I 864 and i put retired

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.