Ann111

I-130 adult children of US citizen

9 posts in this topic

Hello. My mother is US citizen as of 2 years(she originally won a green card).   She filed for I 130 in 2019 after she got her citizenship.  for me and my sister , 39 and 30 years unmarried.  It now, as of  3 months,  says - Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS.

My question is, I have not worked anywhere officially. Most of the time i gave up my home for rent and lived in my mothers house. I have an apartment that casts about 65000$. And will have 10000$ on my account by the time of the interview. My mother periodically has send us money .  
Will i be refused on the basis of not working? Do i need to search for a job before the interview? 

Also, if i-130 gets approved, how long will it get to get an invitation to the interview? Thank you. 
Also, my father isn't with us. So the household is 3 people, me, sister and mother. Did I get right that as a sponsor my mother must have 26000$ yearly without taxes to be able to sponsor us?
Thank you for reading this long post. I truly appreciate any help that you can offer.

Edited by Ann111

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your mother is your sponsor and it is her financial situation that counts

You have some time to go are you married?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Ann111 said:

Will i be refused on the basis of not working? Do i need to search for a job before the interview? 

NO

10 minutes ago, Ann111 said:

Also, if i-130 gets approved, how long will it get to get an invitation to the interview?

At least 5 years depending on your nationality https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-october-2021.html

13 minutes ago, Ann111 said:

Did I get right that as a sponsor my mother must have 26000$ yearly without taxes to be able to sponsor us?

It will depend on the I-864P amounts at the time of the interview.  Google USCIS I-864P for details.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

10 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

NO

At least 5 years depending on your nationality https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-october-2021.html

It will depend on the I-864P amounts at the time of the interview.  Google USCIS I-864P for details.

So if during the interview i am asked where i work, and i answer that i have never worked anywhere except 2 years right after graduating, (I am 39 year old), it will not affect negatively my chances?  Will they not ask how i got money for living and what do i plan to do in US to support myself? Thank you for spending your time on helping me. I Truly appreciate it. 

12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Your mother is your sponsor and it is her financial situation that counts

You have some time to go are you married?

Thank you. I am not married. 

Edited by Ann111

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well they may ask what your plans are and they consider the totality of the circumstances 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

19 minutes ago, Ann111 said:

So if during the interview i am asked where i work, and i answer that i have never worked anywhere except 2 years right after graduating, (I am 39 year old), it will not affect negatively my chances?

This is a family visa.  You don't need to have a job it get it.

19 minutes ago, Ann111 said:

Will they not ask how i got money for living and what do i plan to do in US to support myself?

They can ask and you should have an answer.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

12 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

This is a family visa.  You don't need to have a job it get it.

They can ask and you should have an answer.

We have actually seen a couple of cases reported here where lack of work history of an adult beneficiary has negatively affected the visa outcome on a public charge basis. It’s not common but it happens. I seem to recall the one was in their late 20s or early 30s reporting being told to get a couple years work experience and try again. The sponsor meeting the minimum guideline is presumably not enough to avert public charge fears in such cases.

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

We have actually seen a couple of cases reported here where lack of work history of an adult beneficiary has negatively affected the visa outcome on a public charge basis. It’s not common but it happens. I seem to recall the one was in their late 20s or early 30s reporting being told to get a couple years work experience and try again. The sponsor meeting the minimum guideline is presumably not enough to avert public charge fears in such cases.

That is what i am afraid of.   Mothers advocate said the interview may be after a year, but here everyone says 5-7 years.  If it takes 5 years i have time to get official job. Wondering if they check how long you have your job? Or just saying i work here will be enough? I am wondering what proof they require of having job.  
Thank you telling me this. I truly appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, Ann111 said:

That is what i am afraid of.   Mothers advocate said the interview may be after a year, but here everyone says 5-7 years.  If it takes 5 years i have time to get official job. Wondering if they check how long you have your job? Or just saying i work here will be enough? I am wondering what proof they require of having job.  
Thank you telling me this. I truly appreciate it. 

No one can tell you what questions they will ask or what proof they may ask to see. It is up to the officer who assesses each case on an individual basis.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.