AmbraDillon

Beneficiary travelling from Netherlands to US with ESTA During CR1 Visa Processing

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have some questions:

my husband and I applied in august for the I130/CR1 spousal visa and next friday I am travelling to the US from the Netherlands to visit him and go to a family marriage.

1) I have already an approved esta that expires 2 weeks after my return from the US. I applied before we were married. will it be a problem that is expiring soon or is it ok?If in the meantime we got married and  applied for the spouse visa, is the current esta still valid or should apply for a new one?

2)Because of the travel ban I am bringing with me a copy of my husband birth certificate /passport to show that he is a US citizen and also our marriage certificate. Is this sufficient or what other documents do I need to bring with me?

3) I have a return ticket after 2 weeks but in addition I asked my employer for a letter stating that I am an employee at the company in the Netherlands and that I have a permanent contract, because I thought it is good to prove that I will return to the Netherlands.

what else should be stated in the letter? what other proof can you advise me to bring to prove that I will not stay? 

thank you in advance

Ambra & Dillon

8 minutes ago, AmbraDillon said:

is the current esta still valid or should apply for a new one?

You should be able to double-check online if it's still valid: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ "CHECK ESTA STATUS"

10 minutes ago, AmbraDillon said:

Is this sufficient

Also remember to not check-in for the flight online:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

If you travel, please follow the steps below:

• Do not attempt to check in for your flight online if you have an ESTA registration.
  • Arrive early for your flight.
  • Carry as many original documents as you have available that you believe demonstrate why you have been excepted from a travel restriction, such as a Permanent Resident Card (commonly known as a Green Card), a marriage certificate, or a birth certificate. We are unable to provide guidance about your documents or whether copies will be considered sufficient as such questions are a matter for CBP when you travel.
  • You may also wish to carry a printed copy of the Presidential Proclamation itself.
  • Your status will be reviewed in consultation with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials. Please note that smaller airports may not have CBP officials on site.
  • If applicable in your case, your ESTA will be reinstated in order to allow you to board.

24 minutes ago, DutchGuy said:

What is the reason for not checking in online if I may ask?

Because the online check-in for the flight unfortunately triggers APIS canceling the ESTA since the system just assumes that the traveler is not exempt. Thus why the US government has provided clear instructions not to use online check-in for the flight. Click on the FAQ page link:

On 9/15/2021 at 5:24 AM, HRQX said:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/

If you travel, please follow the steps below:

• Do not attempt to check in for your flight online if you have an ESTA registration.
  • Arrive early for your flight.
  • Carry as many original documents as you have available that you believe demonstrate why you have been excepted from a travel restriction, such as a Permanent Resident Card (commonly known as a Green Card), a marriage certificate, or a birth certificate. We are unable to provide guidance about your documents or whether copies will be considered sufficient as such questions are a matter for CBP when you travel.
  • You may also wish to carry a printed copy of the Presidential Proclamation itself.
  • Your status will be reviewed in consultation with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials. Please note that smaller airports may not have CBP officials on site.
  • If applicable in your case, your ESTA will be reinstated in order to allow you to board.

Hello everyone, I didn't check in online like I was advised but in any case my ESTA was cancelled before I was at the airport. We called CBP and they told us not to worry and that it was the airline responsibility to check my documents to see that I was an exception (marriage certificate and a copy of my husband's US passport). The airline contacted the CBP and send them information of my documents and CBP  then reinstated my ESTA!  Apart from the initial scare, it all went smooth and easy! ☺️

On 9/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, AmbraDillon said:

Hello everyone, I didn't check in online like I was advised but in any case my ESTA was cancelled before I was at the airport. We called CBP and they told us not to worry and that it was the airline responsibility to check my documents to see that I was an exception (marriage certificate and a copy of my husband's US passport). The airline contacted the CBP and send them information of my documents and CBP  then reinstated my ESTA!  Apart from the initial scare, it all went smooth and easy! ☺️

Thanks for the update! 

Enjoy the US for now :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.