joy717

SSN and changing name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all

I applied for a SSN in person around 2 weeks ago. The lady said that it should all go ok and my details were all fine on the system. I have since got married and want to apply for AOS. I called today and the SSN office said that my details have been sent to DHS and I need to wait for them to "approve my status" or something like that which can take anything from 2-6 weeks. They told me I could try calling USCIS but I cannot seem to get through to a human on the telephone line. For me to go onto my husbands medical insurance we need a SSN and register within 30 days of marriage which is short of the 6 weeks that DHS might take to process me.

Would I be better to wait and apply for AOS once I have received my SSN or just go ahead and apply and would that make any difference to whether or not they issue a SSN now? Also I was going to apply for AOS in my maiden name and then change my name down the line, is that an issue ever or am I better to do it now?

Thanks

Did you apply for SSN in your maiden name? Otherwise, the verification will fail and they won’t issue you an SSN.

6 hours ago, joy717 said:

For me to go onto my husbands medical insurance we need a SSN and register within 30 days of marriage which is short of the 6 weeks that DHS might take to process me.

By law, health insurance must add you to your husbands plan even if you don’t have SSN. You need to be more firm with the insurance company. They can add zeroes in place until you get an SSN but SSN is not required and if they say it is they’re misinformed.

Would I be better to wait and apply for AOS once I have received my SSN or just go ahead and apply and would that make any difference to whether or not they issue a SSN now?

Go ahead and apply for AOS now. It makes no difference whether you have SSN or not.

Also I was going to apply for AOS in my maiden name and then change my name down the line, is that an issue ever or am I better to do it now?

Apply in the name you want now. Down the line it’s going to cost you $$$ and be a hassle. 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Did you apply for SSN in your maiden name? Otherwise, the verification will fail and they won’t issue you an SSN.

Yes I applied before marriage with my maiden name. If I apply for AOS now before getting the SSN should I apply for SSN on the EAD form? Could that result in getting a SSN in my maiden name and my married name?

1 minute ago, joy717 said:

Yes I applied before marriage with my maiden name. If I apply for AOS now before getting the SSN should I apply for SSN on the EAD form? Could that result in getting a SSN in my maiden name and my married name?

Yes go ahead and tick YES on that question (this is what I did too). You will get the same number, just with your married name and it’ll save you trip to the SSA office as you’ll get it in your married name. 

Note than the new edition of I-485 form now has a field for SSN. You might want to submit this renewed version of the form. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.