LU SEE FURR

Question about CR1 and visiting US. (split)

26 posts in this topic

*** Mod action: Post split from another member's thread. Please do not ask questions in other member's threads. Please start your own thread.

VJ Moderation.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  The new spouse cannot live in the US during the CR-1 process.  Visiting is allowed if the foreign spouse can convince CBP that he/she will leave the US at end of the of the visit.

2.  A person cannot enter the US via a non-immigrant route (tourist visa) with the intent to stay and adjust status (exception is a K-1). 

Where is your fiance right now?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In the Philippines.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

In the Philippines.

/end thread......😃

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

1.  The new spouse cannot live in the US during the CR-1 process.  Visiting is allowed if the foreign spouse can convince CBP that he/she will leave the US at end of the of the visit.

2.  A person cannot enter the US via a non-immigrant route (tourist visa) with the intent to stay and adjust status (exception is a K-1). 

Where is your fiance right now?

The person entering would not know if they are getting married before entering the USA.  They are coming here on tourist visa after Christmas from the Philippines.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, LU SEE FURR said:

Please read my question before answering

I did and you answered crazy cat that person is still in Phillipines

so,  this is a planned venture and fraud  

not that the person is already here and you decide to marry and AOS

u can't plan to do this

the person is asked at POE "who they visit"   and many get turned back for visiting a BF or GF as officer may assume intent to AOS

and even if she doesn't know,  u do   /u can't plan to do this 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When applying for most non-immigrant visas, the foreign national makes a promise to the U.S. government that he/she will return to the home country after the purpose of the visa has been fulfilled. The visa is tied to a specific short-term purpose. Examples of short-term activities are tourism, business, education, and some employment. Non-immigrant intent means that the visa holder does not plan (and is not authorized) to stay permanently in the United States.

In fact, there is a presumption of immigrant intent in U.S. immigration law. There is a burden of proof for non-immigrant visa applicants to show they have sufficient ties to their home country that will compel them to leave the U.S. after the temporary stay. Many visitors may have had to provide evidence of ties to their home country in the visa interview.

Believe what immigration says in the above not me

Edited by JeanneAdil

5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I did and you answered crazy cat that person is still in Phillipines

so,  this is a planned venture and fraud  

not that the person is already here and you decide to marry and AOS

u can't plan to do this

I don't think so. Because we will not make USA our permanent home, after marriage I will move back to Philippines to live there. 

Have no plans to stay long term in the USA, just stay here long enough to see how the Covid situations shakes out in the Philipppines, and see what happens with the Presidential Election in March 2022 and if they have uprising like they did before.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It will take a couple of years, well seems you have yet to meet so maybe longer.

Hopefully Covid will have at least stabilized by then in which case all this become meaningless.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It will take a couple of years, well seems you have yet to meet so maybe longer.

Hopefully Covid will have at least stabilized by then in which case all this become meaningless.

We have been living together for the last couple years.  I had to leave due to my tourist visa expiring in the Philippines. My clothes are there, my dogs are there, my motorbikes are there and so is my tuk tuk and TV's, furniture, some of my clothes, etc. I sold or gave away most of US possesions, only thing I kept was a couple rental properties for passive income.

She will come here after Christmas I am thinking early February would be a good time, She has been to USA already on tourist visa before Covid started.  

I just wanted to know my options, as of now the best way and about only way for me to enter is the Philippines is to marry her, and enter with her.  

There is nothing pre conceived about marriage, it is purely based on the situation at the time.  If Philippines is in the same shape it is with Covid Issues, then it might be best for her to stay here for about a year and then we will return.  If they open up for tourism by July or August then I will just fly back to Philippines and do another extended tourist visa.

Timeline
Just now, LU SEE FURR said:

If Philippines is in the same shape it is with Covid Issues, then it might be best for her to stay here for about a year and then we will return. 

In what status would she stay here for a year? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.