seekingthetruth

Online Marriage to a Filipina

55 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

On a related note--does anyone have an opinion (or better yet, experience) on whether or not it matters if you select "single entry" or "multiple entry" on the visa application form?

What @flicks1998 said is correct. Single entry and you are allowed to stay up to 90 days.

2 hours ago, RO_AH said:

What @flicks1998 said is correct. Single entry and you are allowed to stay up to 90 days.

Actually you can extend up to 3 years without leaving the country, same as the normal 9a. Your entry is good for 59 days before you have to extend the 1st time. The visa is good for 90 days to 1st enter the country on that particular visa. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: Other Timeline

Two more questions related to this topic (so many, I know) on the visitor visa (Chicago Consulate actually uses FA Form No.2A for this):
1. Assuming my spouse's name on her existing ID, passport, etc. will not match her new married name, which should I use on the form if I list her as my "Reference in the Philippines"?

2. How long will it take them to process my visa request? Without knowing this, I don't know how far out to book my flight and lodging accommodations and they require the flight number on the form.

She will have to sign the ROM forms and get them notarized.  Then she has to mail them back.  The Consulate requires wet signatures and original notary stamps.  After you receive them you need to sign and notarize your signature.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 10/6/2021 at 8:23 AM, Mnhopeful22 said:

Two more questions related to this topic (so many, I know) on the visitor visa (Chicago Consulate actually uses FA Form No.2A for this):
1. Assuming my spouse's name on her existing ID, passport, etc. will not match her new married name, which should I use on the form if I list her as my "Reference in the Philippines"?

2. How long will it take them to process my visa request? Without knowing this, I don't know how far out to book my flight and lodging accommodations and they require the flight number on the form.

Any thoughts on this one? Also would like to confirm the validity of the 2A visa that Chicago consulate directed me to...all the BI and Embassy resources seem to reference only the "9A" visa. Will this 2A visa be able to get me into the Philippines?

23 minutes ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

Any thoughts on this one? Also would like to confirm the validity of the 2A visa that Chicago consulate directed me to...all the BI and Embassy resources seem to reference only the "9A" visa. Will this 2A visa be able to get me into the Philippines?

"Form  2-A" is the application form to apply for a 9A visa.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord it looks like I didn't understand something quite right. I sent my ROM application to SF Consulate and my 9a visa application to Chicago Consulate (I live in MN) at the same time. Chicago contacted me to say they need the "signed ROM from SF Consulate" to process my visa. I sent Chicago the apostilled marriage certificate thinking that's what satisfied this requirement. Now SF Consulate tells me it takes an average of TWELVE WEEKS to process my ROM?!?! I'm so disappointed right now as it seems impossible I'll see my daughter on her birthday or spend Christmas together with my family 😔

My next step is to contact Chicago to try clarifying exactly what's needed...maybe there's a misunderstanding. I really don't know what else to do at this point. Any other ideas? Prayers are appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

Good Lord it looks like I didn't understand something quite right. I sent my ROM application to SF Consulate and my 9a visa application to Chicago Consulate (I live in MN) at the same time. Chicago contacted me to say they need the "signed ROM from SF Consulate" to process my visa. I sent Chicago the apostilled marriage certificate thinking that's what satisfied this requirement. Now SF Consulate tells me it takes an average of TWELVE WEEKS to process my ROM?!?! I'm so disappointed right now as it seems impossible I'll see my daughter on her birthday or spend Christmas together with my family 😔

My next step is to contact Chicago to try clarifying exactly what's needed...maybe there's a misunderstanding. I really don't know what else to do at this point. Any other ideas? Prayers are appreciated!

This is frustrating because policies vary between Consulates. I recently received my 9a visa but I do not have my signed ROM yet. I went through the SF Consulate for both. My only suggestion is to try to get confirmation from the SF Consulate that your ROM was received and is in processing, and attempt to get the Chicago Consulate to accept that in lieu of the signed ROM. The SF Consulate's Civil Registry section was responsive to me when I emailed them, so you would most likely receive confirmation via email if you asked. Perhaps send a copy of the confirmation email along with delivery receipt from USPS to Chicago and hope for the best.

Otherwise, yes, it's taking far too long for the ROM. I believe right now they are just barely working on ROMs that were delivered to the Consulate in early August; mine was delivered on Sept 13th and I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

I have heard from people who got ROM back within 2 weeks.  That was a while ago but 12 weeks is ridiculous.  My step son is in Manila now getting the papers signed and notarized.  He just filed the I-130 so his long journey has begun.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

19 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I have heard from people who got ROM back within 2 weeks.  That was a while ago but 12 weeks is ridiculous.  My step son is in Manila now getting the papers signed and notarized.  He just filed the I-130 so his long journey has begun.

I think the issue with the SF Consulate now taking 12 weeks to process a ROM is due to them getting flooded with a torrent of Utah online marriages due to the current travel situation created by the Philippine Government.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

26 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I think the issue with the SF Consulate now taking 12 weeks to process a ROM is due to them getting flooded with a torrent of Utah online marriages due to the current travel situation created by the Philippine Government.

That makes perfect sense.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

I would hope they would respond to the increased demand with an increase in the staff to handle that demand but that's probably wishful thinking 🤔 

Perhaps they could make some of those folks that Biden pays to stay home (and laughs about it ) do the work.

I just got my 9a visa last week from the Houston consulate, they only took 2 days to complete my visa. The visa is good a single entry for 90 days but once entering the Philippines it's only good for a 59 day stay is on the visa itself.  If you want to stay past the 59 days you have to extend at the local BIR office of where you are staying.  

Each consulate has slightly different requirements that they want you to provide to them.  The LA consulate wanted credit card statements, investments and other things.  I just had to produce an employment letter and bank statements.  

https://houstonpcg.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/consular-services/visa-services/visa-services-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

Edited by Kby175

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.