seekingthetruth

Online Marriage to a Filipina

55 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 10:38 AM, top_secret said:

4. File Report of Marriage.  $25
The Philippines San Francisco Consulate has consular jurisdiction over Utah marriages.
In addition to the listed requirements, it has been reported that the Philippine Consulate has been requiring a notarized affidavit stating that it is an online marriage and that the Filipino citizen was not present in the US.
https://pcgsanfrancisco.org/civil-registry/

5. Apply for Philippines 9a Visa. $30

https://pcgsanfrancisco.org/visa/

6. With your 9a visa and apostilled marriage certificate, travel to the Philippines and meet your new lifelong spouse for the first time.

After you file the ROM (#4), you are waiting to be able to request an authenticated marriage certificate from the PSA, which apparently can take more than 6-12 months (?) after ROM filing. Are you saying it's possible to get the 9a visa and enter the country with just the apostilled marriage certificate, no PSA marriage certificate? Here's a YouTuber who recently flew in through Manila and said they asked for the PSA marriage certificate: https://youtu.be/_8ExnGKkWIs?t=871 (14:33). I'm curious what they would have done if he presented an apostille instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Corgent said:

After you file the ROM (#4), you are waiting to be able to request an authenticated marriage certificate from the PSA, which apparently can take more than 6-12 months (?) after ROM filing. Are you saying it's possible to get the 9a visa and enter the country with just the apostilled marriage certificate, no PSA marriage certificate? Here's a YouTuber who recently flew in through Manila and said they asked for the PSA marriage certificate: https://youtu.be/_8ExnGKkWIs?t=871 (14:33). I'm curious what they would have done if he presented an apostille instead.

They will need the visa.  I've heard of people getting the 9a visa and successfully were allowed into the Philippines.  I assume the visa and the marriage (not necessarily PSA) certificate will allow entry.  One couple did this before they even met.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 9/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, Paul & Mary said:

You would either need an ANNULMENT in the Philippines or have the US Divorce properly processed by the Philippines.   Either is a pain to do, takes time and money.  

Nope, I was married to my first wife did the ROM then later divorced and remarried in the Philippines. The first marriage was registered in the Philippines when I went to get my CENOMAR but since my marriage and divorce were done in the US there was nothing needed to be done in the Philippines.  

15 hours ago, Kby175 said:

Nope, I was married to my first wife did the ROM then later divorced and remarried in the Philippines. The first marriage was registered in the Philippines when I went to get my CENOMAR but since my marriage and divorce were done in the US there was nothing needed to be done in the Philippines.  

Good to know

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, it's possible. My fiancée's acquaintance, the guy who took our engagement photos in the Philippines just had a virtual wedding with his American fiancée. They have never met in person. He is 24 and she is 19. They went through Utah County and I actually attended their zoom wedding. Kind of weird in my opinion. 

Filed: Other Timeline
On 9/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Corgent said:

I believe this is my question as well. After you submit the ROM to the SF Consulate, can you immediately apply for the 9A visa or are you required to wait for the Philippines to issue that barcoded official marriage certificate before you'll be allowed entry to PH? Any clear answers would be so appreciated; waiting another 6-12 months is quite significant!

2 hours ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

I believe this is my question as well. After you submit the ROM to the SF Consulate, can you immediately apply for the 9A visa or are you required to wait for the Philippines to issue that barcoded official marriage certificate before you'll be allowed entry to PH? Any clear answers would be so appreciated; waiting another 6-12 months is quite significant!

I've learned more since I posted that. You don't need the PSA marriage certificate to enter the Philippines. Just your certified ROM (the paper the SF Consulate will mail back to you with your original documents) and a 9a visa.

Right now my frustration is that the SF Consulate doesn't seem to want to share an authoritative list of all documents required for a 9a visa. The list they share on their website is generic and not specific to spouses (i.e. it doesn't mention apostilled marriage license or ROM, letter of invitation, etc.). No reply to my email and Facebook message about it. Other Consulates share this information but it's my understanding that every Consulate's requirements are different, so when it comes to the SF Consulate there is no being 100% certain that you are satisfying all of their requirements before you mail your visa application package to them.

Edited by Corgent

3 hours ago, Corgent said:

I've learned more since I posted that. You don't need the PSA marriage certificate to enter the Philippines. Just your certified ROM (the paper the SF Consulate will mail back to you with your original documents) and a 9a visa.

Right now my frustration is that the SF Consulate doesn't seem to want to share an authoritative list of all documents required for a 9a visa. The list they share on their website is generic and not specific to spouses (i.e. it doesn't mention apostilled marriage license or ROM, letter of invitation, etc.). No reply to my email and Facebook message about it. Other Consulates share this information but it's my understanding that every Consulate's requirements are different, so when it comes to the SF Consulate there is no being 100% certain that you are satisfying all of their requirements before you mail your visa application package to them.

Here is the requirements at the Honolulu Consulate. This is from 2 emails they sent me so it has some duplicates: Comments from me in red

Duly-accomplished Non-Immigrant Visa application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink I had to get this notorized

Copy of passport of applicant (valid at least 6 months from return date)

Travel Itinerary (duration of stay in the Philippines)

Proof of Financial Capacity (photocopy of latest bank statement and an employment certificate from the employer indicating position and salary, or affidavit of support), for Tourist Visa (for pleasure only).

Additional documents for Foreign spouse and parent of Filipino nationals:

-   Proof of Marriage - PSA-issued Marriage Contract, for Philippines-issued documents or apostilled/authenticated, for documents issued by foreign governments If a Utah wedding needs to be apostilled/authenticated

-   Proof of the citizenship of the Filipino spouse (copy of Philippine passport or dual citizenship documents)

-   Proof that the Filipino spouse is living and currently in the Philippines (e.g. barangay certificate)

-   Proof of parentage to the Filipino child - PSA-issued Birth Certificate, for Philippines-issued documents, or apostilled /authenticated, for documents issued by foreign governments

-   Proof of the citizenship of the Filipino child (copy of Philippine passport or dual citizenship documents)

-   Proof that the Filipino child is living and currently in the Philippines (e.g. barangay certificate)

9 (A) Temporary Visitor’s Visa

1.            Actual passport of applicant (valid at least 6 months from return date) and one (1) photocopy of the data page This is sent with the check

2.            Duly-accomplished Non-Immigrant Visa application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, and notarized if sent by mail

3.            Travel Itinerary (applicant must be a holder of a roundtrip/onward flight ticket out of the Philippines)

4.            One (1) colored photo, 2” x 2”, taken within six months before the date of application, showing a clear front view of applicant’s face, with a white background. No sleeveless attire. Blurred or low quality photos are not accepted.

5.            Proof of Financial Capacity (photocopy of latest bank statement and an employment certificate from the employer indicating position and salary, or affidavit of support), for Tourist Visa (for pleasure only).

6.            Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps worth USD 7.95 for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, for mailing of passport with visa.

7.            Visa fee, according to fee schedule below (non-refundable), payable in postal money order or bank check made payable to "Philippine Consulate General". Personal checks are not accepted.

47 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Here is the requirements at the Honolulu Consulate. This is from 2 emails they sent me so it has some duplicates: Comments from me in red

To further illustrate my point, the requirements you cited for the Honolulu Consulate differ from the Los Angeles Consulate's requirements. The LA Consulate requires a notarized letter of invitation but those Honolulu requirements make no mention of such. "Letter request by the Filipino spouse addressed to the Consulate with copy of valid identification card issued by the Philippine government. This letter must be NOTARIZED by a notary public in the Philippines."

As another example, the Houston Consulate says a ROM is necessary but the New York Consulate says ROM or Marriage Certificate with Apostille (so in theory you could mail the ROM and 9a visa applications at the same time, significantly speeding up the process).

These are some examples of how requirements differ between Consulates and it is frustrating when a Consulate is not forthcoming with all of their unique requirements.

Thanks so much for the detailed response @RO_AH

@Corgent I can definitely see how that is frustrating. This is why I'm also trying to understand the requirements in advance. Perhaps there's some things my fiancé could send me ahead of time. Do you think the best way to prepare is to assume the SF consulate will require all things and be ready to submit all those? 

And I know it's frustrating but I want you to know how helpful this is for me--I appreciate you very much for sharing these details! I hope one of us can discover the best way to get a response from the SF consulate soon!

Edited by Mnhopeful22

6 hours ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

Thanks so much for the detailed response @RO_AH

@Corgent I can definitely see how that is frustrating. This is why I'm also trying to understand the requirements in advance. Perhaps there's some things my fiancé could send me ahead of time. Do you think the best way to prepare is to assume the SF consulate will require all things and be ready to submit all those? 

And I know it's frustrating but I want you to know how helpful this is for me--I appreciate you very much for sharing these details! I hope one of us can discover the best way to get a response from the SF consulate soon!

Just so you are clear. The ROM is done at the SF Consulate because they cover Utah where you get married. If you file a 9a visa it would be in Chicago, if you live in Minnesota.

vj.PNG.3e3e6864d156a3a13d3bf5744d3d6bf1.PNG

14 hours ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

Do you think the best way to prepare is to assume the SF consulate will require all things and be ready to submit all those? 

That's what I'm doing. Waiting for my ROM to be returned to me by the SF Consulate and then submitting my 9a visa to the SF Consulate. By necessity due to lack of information, the documents I submit for the 9a visa will meet the strictest requirements of all the other Consulates who do publish their requirements.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, RO_AH said:

Just so you are clear. The ROM is done at the SF Consulate because they cover Utah where you get married. If you file a 9a visa it would be in Chicago, if you live in Minnesota.

vj.PNG.3e3e6864d156a3a13d3bf5744d3d6bf1.PNG

Thank you--that makes more sense and am glad you pointed it out...so many moving parts!

On a related note--does anyone have an opinion (or better yet, experience) on whether or not it matters if you select "single entry" or "multiple entry" on the visa application form? I fully intend to visit multiple times, but I'm happy to select single entry if this will have an impact on the ease or speed at which my application is processed. I mean...if I select "MULTIPLE", will it slow down the processing or be more likely to be denied or make it less likely to be approved?

28 minutes ago, Mnhopeful22 said:

Thank you--that makes more sense and am glad you pointed it out...so many moving parts!

On a related note--does anyone have an opinion (or better yet, experience) on whether or not it matters if you select "single entry" or "multiple entry" on the visa application form? I fully intend to visit multiple times, but I'm happy to select single entry if this will have an impact on the ease or speed at which my application is processed. I mean...if I select "MULTIPLE", will it slow down the processing or be more likely to be denied or make it less likely to be approved?

They are only issuing single entry. If you will need to make a 2nd trip you’ll have to apply for a new visa. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.