seekingthetruth

Online Marriage to a Filipina

55 posts in this topic

Is this possible?  I only have 3rd person knowledge of the situation.

1.  Filipina meets American man online.

2.  Filipina has not met American man physically.

3. Filipina marries American man with a Utah County online marriage.

https://www.utahcounty.gov/Dept/ClerkAud/WebCeremonyFAQ.html

4.  American man, with Utah marriage license in hand, now plans to get visa to visit his spouse in the Philippines.

I was surprised to learn that the Utah County Web Conference Marriage does not require a physical meeting??  I wonder how CFO fits in here?

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Do you mean the two have never met in person before getting married online? I haven't heard of any successful stories, either. I imagine CFO would only apply if the couple decided to pursue US immigration, not the USC moving to the PH.

2 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Do you mean the two have never met in person before getting married online? I haven't heard of any successful stories, either. I imagine CFO would only apply if the couple decided to pursue US immigration, not the USC moving to the PH.

Yes, never met in person.  Seems you can marry without meeting in person.  The normal Utah law says you have to apply for the marriage license in an office with both parties present, but this Utah County online says, if that is not possible, no issue.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

I have heard it's possible to do the Utah online marriage without both parties physically present.

But marrying someone online without ever having met in person, not even once... sounds real skeevy to me. Actually, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Just now, Adventine said:

I have heard it's possible to do the Utah online marriage without both parties physically present.

But marrying someone online without ever having met in person, not even once... sounds real skeevy to me. Actually, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

My thoughts as well.  Ripe for abuse.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

It is entirely possible I couldn't imagine doing that.   We met online at first, chatted over a monthm and things were great.  But after the first time we meet in person I never would have considered being ready to marry.  9 more months and 3 more meetings before we were ready and then we did a month long Asia trip just to make sure.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

My step son is getting married online with Utah County next week.  We had a call with them last night and the license is all set.  My step son's fiancee is in Manila.  He will file the CR-1 in early October as he has a trip planned.  There is conflicting information on whether to file before meeting again or after.  We will play it safe and file after meeting which is only a week or so delay.  Utah marriages are working and if you go on their site they offer this to any country in the world.  It is a great service and like it or not, it is a legal marriage.  

While getting married before meeting in person sounds scary to most of us, it is their life and it seems that if they are legally married and consummated, they can do that.  He can get a 9a visa and they can meet.  I imagine that may be a bit awkward though.  Meeting a woman for the first time and she is already your wife.  If anything, that makes a great story to share.

All I can say is good luck and Godspeed.  It isn't my life they are living, it is theirs.  Us old timers understand the culture shock that they will both face and it is challenging.  Be strong and stay in love and you will be fine.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My step son is getting married online with Utah County next week.  We had a call with them last night and the license is all set.  My step son's fiancee is in Manila.  He will file the CR-1 in early October as he has a trip planned.  There is conflicting information on whether to file before meeting again or after.  We will play it safe and file after meeting which is only a week or so delay.  Utah marriages are working and if you go on their site they offer this to any country in the world.  It is a great service and like it or not, it is a legal marriage.  

While getting married before meeting in person sounds scary to most of us, it is their life and it seems that if they are legally married and consummated, they can do that.  He can get a 9a visa and they can meet.  I imagine that may be a bit awkward though.  Meeting a woman for the first time and she is already your wife.  If anything, that makes a great story to share.

All I can say is good luck and Godspeed.  It isn't my life they are living, it is theirs.  Us old timers understand the culture shock that they will both face and it is challenging.  Be strong and stay in love and you will be fine.

USCIS website states the need to meet in person after the marriage and before filing

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

26 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

USCIS website states the need to meet in person after the marriage and before filing

I have seen that too.  That is what we will follow.  There are cases where USCIS has approved the CR visa before the couple met and the consummation took place after filing.  They got their visa.  I assume USCIS doesn't ask about a meeting requirement for CR-1 and they would have proof of relationship because they have been physically together even if only before filing.  That is why it is somewhat gray.  They would be consummated before the interview and the State Department states that consummation after the wedding will be considered a legal wedding at the date of marriage.  DoS approved the visas so if USCIS doesnt ask, the petition would be approved and from there the DoS has authority.  

We aren't taking a chance.  They will file after they are together again after the marriage.  I do understand the confusion though.  Unless USCIS asks about meeting the petition can be approved as is.  Definitely a loop hole and we have seen a few couples with green cards that didn't meet after the wedding and before filing.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

For me getting married online without meeting is too risky.

If I need to get married in the Philippines that is my ace card I will save in case it is needed for a visa.  Once you get married in the Philippines it almost impossible to do it again, unless you want to waste alot of time and spend some money.

Too easy to do multiply K1's and get approved, if for some reason they deny your K1 then you can get married in Philippines and get approved, is what I have seen.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I have seen that too.  That is what we will follow.  There are cases where USCIS has approved the CR visa before the couple met and the consummation took place after filing.  They got their visa.  I assume USCIS doesn't ask about a meeting requirement for CR-1 and they would have proof of relationship because they have been physically together even if only before filing.  That is why it is somewhat gray.  They would be consummated before the interview and the State Department states that consummation after the wedding will be considered a legal wedding at the date of marriage.  DoS approved the visas so if USCIS doesnt ask, the petition would be approved and from there the DoS has authority.  

We aren't taking a chance.  They will file after they are together again after the marriage.  I do understand the confusion though.  Unless USCIS asks about meeting the petition can be approved as is.  Definitely a loop hole and we have seen a few couples with green cards that didn't meet after the wedding and before filing.

I have read of some filing the petition before meeting as well, but for handing out info I tend to follow the USCIS  website in this case. 

I seriously doubt the I-130 was modified to ask about meeting in person before filing (unlike the K-1) so that may be the loophole, USCIS states it on their website but has no documentation to confirm.

I have a friend that is going this route, they have meet numerous times but she is just now completing the annulment process  (this beer virus BS  messes up everything)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

22 hours ago, top_secret said:

Yes.  it is possible and has been widely tested.  Utah is issuing the marriage certificates. The Philippine Consulate in San Francisco has been processing the Reports of Marriage with full disclosure that they are an online marriage.  9a Visas are being issued. 

If you file a ROM and decide to divorce, and you later decide you want to marry someone in the Philippines will you be allowed? Or would one have to get a some type of paperwork done to get clearance to marry in the Philippines again?

22 minutes ago, LU SEE FURR said:

If you file a ROM and decide to divorce, and you later decide you want to marry someone in the Philippines will you be allowed?

You would either need an ANNULMENT in the Philippines or have the US Divorce properly processed by the Philippines.   Either is a pain to do, takes time and money.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.