theRainwormNL

Register marriage in the US before starting CR-1 process

14 posts in this topic

Hello Forum, 

I (from netherlands) just recently married the love of my life (from Texas) and we are starting our my CR-1 application. 

The one bit of information i can't seem to find is wether or not my wife should register being married before the application or not. 

The county clerk in Texas told my wife that she has to do that at the appostile office and the appostile office told her she should do that at the county clerk. 

So what we are trying to figure out is if it is even necessary to do that or that applying for the CR-1 is doing that in itself. 

For info, we got married in the Netherlands on the 14th of August 2021. My wife is back in the US and i'm still in the Netherlands. 

I've been to the US several times, and my now wife has been to the Netherlands even more. 

Thank you in advance for anyone who responds.

50 minutes ago, theRainwormNL said:

The one bit of information i can't seem to find is wether or not my wife should register being married before the application or not. 

There's no national civil registry in the US, so there's no such thing as registering your foreign marriage in the US.  And there's no such requirement to be able to start the CR1 process.  Also, don't waste time and effort on apostille as it's not required for US immigration.  As long as you have a valid marriage certificate from the Netherlands, then your marriage is considered valid in the US.

When you search for US immigration info, I recommend you refer to the official sources first.  Start with the I-130 form instructions from USCIS -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

This DOS page describes the marriage certificate from the Netherlands that is acceptable for US immigration -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Netherlands.html

Edited by Chancy
typo

That might be a Texas state or Texas county thing. Never heard of it though.

But consider the fact that both offices are pointing back to each other shows that the county clerk is not sure and the appostile office just sent her back to the source

See "recordable documents" in the link below. it refers to documents issued by a Texas statewide officer

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/authinfo.shtml

USCIS accepts a valid marriage from any part of the world.

Complete whatever requirements are needed in Netherlands and file your petition.

Edited by randy32

Timeline

Save your time and money because we (German beneficiary, Texan petitioner) never did that. A marriage is a marriage and counts worldwide. I got my first green card without any problems, now we’re both living in Germany wanting to move back to TX and my petition got approved again. I’d just make sure to get enough international (= multilingual or English) marriage certificates for future purposes. But we really never registered our marriage anywhere in Texas (we got married in Germany). 

Edited by StrawberryKiss
Clarification

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did not know you could register a foreign marriage in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you all for the reactions. I couldnt find anything if it was necessary or not, and as you all now told me there even isn't such a thing as registering it. So we can just go ahead with starting the CR-1. 

This is so helpfull. Thank you all again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, theRainwormNL said:

Thank you all for the reactions. I couldnt find anything if it was necessary or not, and as you all now told me there even isn't such a thing as registering it. So we can just go ahead with starting the CR-1. 

This is so helpfull. Thank you all again. 

I live in Texas.  We married in Taiwan.  There is no need to register your foreign marriage in the US.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, theRainwormNL said:

What about changing last name? How would my wife go through that process? Or is that also done with the CR-1?

Your marriage certificate serves as your wife's legal name change document.  She may use her married name on the I-130 and all other immigration forms, if that's the legal name that she now prefers to use.  Just remember to list her maiden name in the sections for petitioner's "Other Names Used".

Note that it's ok for her not to have any IDs in her married name during your immigration process.  As for changing her name on her IDs and accounts, each government agency or company will have their own procedure that your wife will need to look up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, theRainwormNL said:

What about changing last name? How would my wife go through that process? Or is that also done with the CR-1?

I agree with @Chancy

BTW, I am in the Dallas area.  Shoot me a private message if you want to.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

I did not know you could register a foreign marriage in the US.

I don't know about Texas, but in NJ you can register your foreign marriage through a process called remarriage.

https://www.nj.gov/health/vital/registration-vital/marriage-licenses/

"Remarriage

For individuals who are currently married in New Jersey or are married in another state or country, the option exists to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.

To apply for a remarriage, the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines above to completing the license application. The process for a remarriage license is the same as for the marriage license, except that the remarriage license must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage. There is no 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued."

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
9 hours ago, theRainwormNL said:

Don't bother yourself with this. Registering marriage in US is not needed for immigration purposes. 

Edited by nastra30

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know you can get remarried in NY as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.