Jason926

Next Steps After NVC Notification

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I received an email with a letter stating that my case was forwarded to the consulate for processing and I'm just a little bit confused about the next steps.

I know now is the time to begin collecting the various support documents (police reports, affidavit of support, etc) but I'm not sure how to log in and create an account to pay the fees.

It says the consulate will reach out, but how does the consulate affect paying my NVC fees?  According to this timeline: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

my next step is paying the fees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

K1 applicants do not pay any fees to NVC. Per London instructions uploaded here on VJ by others, once your status is ready and the consulate receives your case file, you can begin scheduling your interview. It also says you need to have your medical done for you to be able to schedule your interview.

This  is the link with info:

https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United Kingdom&cty=London

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 8/26/2021 at 7:45 AM, Jason926 said:

I received an email with a letter stating that my case was forwarded to the consulate for processing and I'm just a little bit confused about the next steps.

As a K1, you aren’t doing NVC processing. The embassy in London will handle all your documents and fee collecting  They provide the London K1 instructions on the embassy website as well. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

When you have all your documents gathered, you will choose your own interview appointment. At the same time the online process will  have you pay your K1 Visa fee and make your courier arrangements. You will get confirmations of doing that to show at the interview that you are all paid up and have the courier arranged.

Meanwhile read the things you need to bring to your medical exam in London and get prepared ASAP.  
https://visamedicals.co.uk/united-states/

And do get your shots sorted before attending your medical. It will save you time and money later in the US to get signed off on shots now. 

There is a UK Forum on here where you can ask questions specific to London medicals, appointments, documents, courier, NHS summary care record, etc. 

UK FORUM https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

As a K1, you aren’t doing NVC processing. The embassy in London will handle all your documents and fee collecting  They provide the London K1 instructions on the embassy website as well. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

"If more than 2 weeks have passed since your petition has been approved and you have not received a letter from the Embassy, please contact us through the contact form."

So I guess at this point, I'm waiting to receive a letter from the consulate?  I received the letter from the NVC 10 days ago, so I should contact the consulate in a few more days if I haven't received the letter?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jason926 said:

"If more than 2 weeks have passed since your petition has been approved and you have not received a letter from the Embassy, please contact us through the contact form."

So I guess at this point, I'm waiting to receive a letter from the consulate?  I received the letter from the NVC 10 days ago, so I should contact the consulate in a few more days if I haven't received the letter?

Specific to LONDON. Other embassies may work differently.
You don’t really need the letter. It is just going to give you the link to the instructions online. Nobody collects the letter, but  wait on one if you prefer. 

I would do things in the following order. It will work for London.

1. Submit your DS-160 online. Nobody looks at it before your interview, and it doesn’t trigger anything. It is something you can do now while getting your ducks in a row. 
  2. Review the documents you need and get on those. Open each arrow for the details they explain. The list: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/
  3. Get your immunizations in order and your Summary Care Record from your GP. NHS is often slow helping you.   Police certificate is needed at medical too. You want to have everything in order before making interview and visa medical appointments. Find help on this in the UK forum. 
  4. Register on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/iv  Select “I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment” (whether you got a letter or not). That’s what tracks you to the K1 part. Don’t pick an appointment if you aren’t ready with all your documents for interview and medical. Just go back later with the login you created. Once you are ready and find an available date then—
  5. Call the medical clinic and arrange a medical appointment at least a week before that interview date you are eyeballing. Medical appointments are usually easily available. You do not have to attend the medical before booking the interview, but have a medical appointment lined up. Your visa is going to expire 6 weeks from the medical date so you don’t want to go too early if no interviews are showing on the calendar (and sometimes they don’t have any to offer), . Best scenario is try to work out medical and interview at same sitting to coordinate the timing. K1 interviews are just now getting back in full swing so maybe the calendar will have plenty of dates now. 
  6. Book your interview. Print the confirmation to show the medical folks you have a date and to show at the embassy on interview day.  (That’s what you show, not that original letter of instruction from the embassy you asked about and I said you don’t actually present to anybody.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.