NoMansLand2020

Keeping busy during pandemic in PHL

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What are people doing to keep busy in the Philippines during the pandemic? My fiancée is really struggling to stay positive and optimistic.. We haven't seen each other for a year and a half now and we filed for K1 at the end of 2019. 

She's stuck in a small studio apartment with two young kids. Because of the pandemic, they really aren't allowed to go anywhere. It feels like a prison to them. Because in person school is not happening, the kids are both attending online. It's a private school based out of Manila and it's all English. Because of this her non-English speaking parents aren't able to help out during the day so she can work. 

She's starting to get super upset and blame others... Mostly myself for her situation. She's tired of waiting, she wants to be able to work and she keeps making selfish statements such as the kids need to suffer so she can have what she wants.  She has a Bachelors degree and has tried looking for online work. The problem is the availability requirements want her working in the middle of the night or when the kids have class. 

I'm getting tired of hearing her complain and have these fits every month. I don't know what to do for her. 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

I think many people in Philippines are content with not doing much or just spending time with family.   There isn't much you can do for her in reality.  Who knows when their lockdowns and quarantines will be over in the Philippines, at this rate it could be years before they return to normal.  My girl is in the province and rural province and there just isn't much work and much anything to do. It would drive me crazy

Timeline
5 minutes ago, VanHalen said:

I think many people in Philippines are content with not doing much or just spending time with family.   There isn't much you can do for her in reality.  Who knows when their lockdowns and quarantines will be over in the Philippines, at this rate it could be years before they return to normal.  My girl is in the province and rural province and there just isn't much work and much anything to do. It would drive me crazy

Mine is in the Province too. But it's frustrating to see her so ungrateful after all I've done for her and her family. It's never enough. 

1 hour ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

What are people doing to keep busy in the Philippines during the pandemic? My fiancée is really struggling to stay positive and optimistic.. We haven't seen each other for a year and a half now and we filed for K1 at the end of 2019. 

She's stuck in a small studio apartment with two young kids. Because of the pandemic, they really aren't allowed to go anywhere. It feels like a prison to them. Because in person school is not happening, the kids are both attending online. It's a private school based out of Manila and it's all English. Because of this her non-English speaking parents aren't able to help out during the day so she can work.

She's starting to get super upset and blame others... Mostly myself for her situation. She's tired of waiting, she wants to be able to work and she keeps making selfish statements such as the kids need to suffer so she can have what she wants.  She has a Bachelors degree and has tried looking for online work. The problem is the availability requirements want her working in the middle of the night or when the kids have class.

I'm getting tired of hearing her complain and have these fits every month. I don't know what to do for her. 

My wife's life is not really affected. She can go out just as before but needs to wear a mask. But it is no where near prison like conditions. Everyone on her street is out chatting every day and all of the kids are out playing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Maybe you could meet her in a third country to help her spirits and yours. Looks like she can travel...

Can Filipino citizens travel abroad during COVID-19?

Filipino citizens are allowed to travel abroad, provided that they comply with the following conditions:

• Have a roundtrip ticket
  • Purchase travel and health insurance coverage that covers potential costs (such as hospitalization, rebookings, and accommodation) incurred if stranded
  • Abide by the visa and immigration regulations of the receiving country
  • Complete a Declaration Form acknowledging the risks associated with traveling
  • Follow the Guidelines of Returning Overseas Filipinos issued by the National Task Force (NITF)

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Maybe you could meet her in a third country to help her spirits and yours. Looks like she can travel...

Can Filipino citizens travel abroad during COVID-19?

Filipino citizens are allowed to travel abroad, provided that they comply with the following conditions:

• Have a roundtrip ticket
  • Purchase travel and health insurance coverage that covers potential costs (such as hospitalization, rebookings, and accommodation) incurred if stranded
  • Abide by the visa and immigration regulations of the receiving country
  • Complete a Declaration Form acknowledging the risks associated with traveling
  • Follow the Guidelines of Returning Overseas Filipinos issued by the National Task Force (NITF)

Yeah, I've thought about that. The issue is the kids have class now. If she left, no one would be able to help them. She would be gone at least a week and then have to quarantine two weeks in MNL when she comes back plus quarantine in her local area. 

We would most likely have to quarantine wherever we went. Who the heck wants to do that? 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

Timeline
11 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Yeah, I've thought about that. The issue is the kids have class now. If she left, no one would be able to help them. She would be gone at least a week and then have to quarantine two weeks in MNL when she comes back plus quarantine in her local area. 

We would most likely have to quarantine wherever we went. Who the heck wants to do that? 

quite a few countries don't have quarantine, and if the kids are remote learning, they can do that anywhere there is internet access. I see your point on the return though, a 14 day quarantine is rough. I heard they reduced it to 7 if you were vaccinated though. Still tough call.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

quite a few countries don't have quarantine, and if the kids are remote learning, they can do that anywhere there is internet access. I see your point on the return though, a 14 day quarantine is rough. I heard they reduced it to 7 if you were vaccinated though. Still tough call.

Kids are too young to be vaccinated. So they wouldn't be able to get out of it. 

The Philippines really created a problem with these nonsensical lockdowns and quarantines. They aren't helping in my opinion. Especially when you have to pay to be tested. What percentage of the population have money to spare for that? Especially with the lack of government assistance and the fact that a lot of people are out of work. 

Plus the stigma that goes along with testing positive... Local barangay lockdown/quarantine... Sanitization.. Everyone will know who it was.. Then you face the possibility of being placed in a quarantine facility. What a joke. The virus continues to spread lockdown or not. 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

Timeline
1 minute ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Kids are too young to be vaccinated. So they wouldn't be able to get out of it. 

The Philippines really created a problem with these nonsensical lockdowns and quarantines. They aren't helping in my opinion. Especially when you have to pay to be tested. What percentage of the population have money to spare for that? Especially with the lack of government assistance and the fact that a lot of people are out of work. 

Plus the stigma that goes along with testing positive... Local barangay lockdown/quarantine... Sanitization.. Then you face the possibility of being placed in a quarantine facility. What a joke. The virus continues to spread lockdown or not. 

I hear you on that. I am hoping to get to Thailand this year ( November) but who knows. My friends wife has to fly back to Thailand next week and deal with the quarantine and everything( Her mom is sick, not from covid, but needs dialysis due to kidney problems). I have another friend whose fiancee is arriving from Thailand on the 29th of this month. It was a long road for him also. she came to Bangkok for the medical, and had to quarantine in her hometown for 2 weeks when she returned, then same thing when she came back to Bangkok for her K1 interview. Now it's just a matter of one last trip to Bangkok to get a covid test and hopefully get out of there and make it to LAX. They are almost as bad as PH with the "red zones" and lockdowns, but they are getting thru it. It sucks for you because they definitely aren't moving too fast in PH with interviews or anything. All I can say is hang in there, and good luck, hopefully things get better soon.

Timeline

Hello this is V I think she just feeling bored being locked up at home. But this is our situation here. She needs to learn on how to deal with the current situation. I also live in a studio type apartment by myself and I treat my day just another normal day. Pretty much I'm just holing  up in my cave doing things I enjoy such as exercising, hand sewing, watching tv and playing games. I only go out when I have important appts  or doing my grocery shopping. I don't deny that I'm also struggling of being away from my fiance. We haven't seen each other for more than 2 years now. But the things I enjoy doing and the hours of video calling with him keeps me going every single day.  

On 8/22/2021 at 6:47 AM, NoMansLand2020 said:

She's starting to get super upset and blame others... Mostly myself for her situation.

I'm here in the Philippines too and I've been apart from my husband for a year and a half now.  I can relate to the stress and frustration from feeling stuck and bored because of the current restrictions.  I distract myself with my hobbies and keep my spirits up with daily video calls with my husband.

That said, we are not in prison.  People here can and do go out if they need to.  Working-age adults are allowed to travel for work.  Other people (like my close family members) find a way to make online schooling of their kids work with their graveyard-shift online jobs.

If she really wanted to, your fiancee can make arrangements to enable her to work.  She's an adult and has the power to make choices and act to improve her life even in this situation.  Millions of Filipinos with kids are doing it, so I don't see why she can't.  Blaming someone half a world away and who can't even travel to the Philippines isn't a very productive use of one's time and energy.  Maybe it's time for a heart-to-heart talk with her.  I'm sure you realize that this will not be the last stressful situation you'll both have to overcome as you go through life together.  Playing the blame game is a path to misery, not the happily-ever-after we all want.

Timeline
On 8/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, NoMansLand2020 said:

My fiancee is in the situation, even worse since we missed the interview on the August 12. She and her daughter in Manila right now have their medical exams. Once they reschedule the interview she will be ready to go regardless of quarantine status. 

The Philippines would not be a place I could tolerate to live at the moment, Way too much governmental control of personal freedoms and from what I am hearing many places that cater to westerners are now ghost towns and hopefully they won't pull out of the Philippines. Places like Texas Roadhouse, TGIF, Red Lobster.  

Edited by Joe Kano

8 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

The Philippines would not be a place I could tolerate to live at the moment, Way too much governmental control of personal freedoms and from what I am hearing many places that cater to westerners are now ghost towns and hopefully they won't pull out of the Philippines. Places like Texas Roadhouse, TGIF, Red Lobster. 

I would go live there in a heartbeat. More freedom there than in the state I live in.

13 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I would go live there in a heartbeat. More freedom there than in the state I live in.

Hawaii is strict and locked down?  Come to Texas home of the free, and with our Governor executive orders it illegal for government to require masks, or vaccine passports, lots of freedom in Texas.  

September 1st you are no longer required to have a handgun licenses to carry in concealed in Texas, before you had to keep it concealed in your car if you didn't have a license.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.