Armen Zatikyan

Why US based employers does not sponsor H1B visas?

28 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello,

I'm Software Engineer and I'm trying to migrate to USA by some work visa, but no one company (even giants) sponsors H1B visa?

There is always a row in the job posting that says, that company unable to sponsor work visa, and I also got a rejection from Google with that content (see attached screenshot).

So, what is wrong with this type of visa? I know a couple of software engineers who migrated to the USA by this visa, but now it's impossible to find a sponsor.

Regards,

Armen Zatikyan

image.thumb.png.58883548fba390a6c46b6d8910229bcc.png

Edited by Armen Zatikyan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The problem isn't the type of visa.  Maybe the supply of software engineers is adequate.  There has to be a need in a particular company.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

32 minutes ago, Armen Zatikyan said:

Hello,

I'm Software Engineer and I'm trying to migrate to USA by some work visa, but no one company (even giants) sponsors H1B visa?

There is always a row in the job posting that says, that company unable to sponsor work visa, and I also got a rejection from Google with that content (see attached screenshot).

So, what is wrong with this type of visa? I know a couple of software engineers who migrated to the USA by this visa, but now it's impossible to find a sponsor.

Regards,

Armen Zatikyan

image.thumb.png.58883548fba390a6c46b6d8910229bcc.png

there's plenty of companies that will / still sponsor H1B visa. it's not easy but doable. someone i know is in the US right now with OPT after graduate with master degree in US university. he has been looking for a job for 5 months, he finally get a job offer few weeks ago. its tough market even within US.

my husband is USC, he got laid off 2 years ago and been out of job for 14 months. during that time he interviewed with big name companies, sometimes for a position he has to do up to 5-8 rounds and still didnt get the job. so you are competing with people who live in the US as well.  

you just have to keep looking. let's put it this way,  it's basically hunting for the job itself, and not about the visa

Edited by Misscloud

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The problem isn't the type of visa.  Maybe the supply of software engineers is adequate.  There has to be a need in a particular company.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's make sense. There are a couple of positions that can be easily be owned by US citizens, and I need to look for some position where I can be the best applicant (also there are States with low immigration rate that can be ready to sponsor). I will keep looking and applying.

I just want to know: is it blocked to sponsor the visa for the foreign employee or not.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

there's plenty of companies that will / still sponsor H1B visa. it's not easy but doable. someone i know is in the US right now with OPT after graduate with master degree in US university. he has been looking for a job for 5 months, he finally get a job offer few weeks ago. its tough market even within US.

my husband is USC, he got laid off 2 years ago and been out of job for 14 months. during that time he interviewed with big name companies, sometimes for a position he has to do up to 5-8 rounds and still didnt get the job. so you are competing with people who live in the US as well.  

you just have to keep looking. let's put it this way,  it's basically hunting for the job itself, and not about the visa

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I just want to know: is it blocked to sponsor work visa for the foreign employee or not?

I looked at the "H1B Sponsor Database" here: https://h1bgrader.com/ and no one company is actually sponsor the work visa now.

If you're in the USA, maybe you can recommend some IT companies that are ready to sponsor the visa in 2021?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Armen Zatikyan said:

I just want to know: is it blocked to sponsor the visa for the foreign employee or not.

It's not blocked. They are issuing 80,000 or so H1B visas/status to foreign employees every year. You just have to find an employer that is willing to sponsor you.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

@Armen Zatikyan

I am an IT Recruiter and there are companies that sponsor H1B’s. These are consulting companies and you would be assigned to work on contract basis for companies that have a need for Software Engineers. We sometimes work with these companies to fill IT positions. Check out these companies: Infosys, Cognizant, Tata Services 👍🏻
Good luck! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

H1B visas are closed for this year because the yearly quota has been met. The following application is April. I don't see how someone would tentatively "hire" someone to work starting a year from now IF he/she gets selected by the lottery. It's a big gamble. One they would be willing to do for someone with incredible references, etc., but not for a regular position for which they can find someone that doesn't need a visa and isn't working for them already (like with OPT).

You could find work with an international company in your country and then try to relocate to the US within the company. For that, there are L1 visas and they don't have a quota.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

One big reason is because of the lottery. There are roughly 3 applications per one H1B slot and the result is they have to go through lottery to get it. The system used to be not that bad but it's been abused by many companies to hire cheap labor (both in tech and non-tech). Many companies would rather not go through this process altogether than to deal with the uncertainty of it. Also, H1B process takes time and requires a lot of effort (hence lawyer fee). It can only be filed once per year around April and the lottery takes place in August/September. So if a company hires someone now, they would have to wait for another year for the person to start working (if he's lucky enough to get pick in the lottery). If he's not lucky, the company doesn't have someone work that job for one year.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

@Armen Zatikyan

I am an IT Recruiter and there are companies that sponsor H1B’s. These are consulting companies and you would be assigned to work on contract basis for companies that have a need for Software Engineers. We sometimes work with these companies to fill IT positions. Check out these companies: Infosys, Cognizant, Tata Services 👍🏻
Good luck! 

These companies are from India and they mostly hire people from India. These are the companies who made H1B hard to get for those who really need it. One dirty trick they have been doing is to file multiple application for one applicant. This totally flooded the system. They also hire people with unknown credential. When I was about graduate 3 years ago and was looking for a job, one of these companies reached out to me and told me to lie to their clients about my skills set so that I can get a project for myself. Their "training" is simply pdf docs with some random questions, I just had to memorize them to answer the customers.

Edited by aznhouston

17 minutes ago, aznhouston said:

These companies are from India and they mostly hire people from India. These are the companies who made H1B hard to get for those who really need it. One dirty trick they have been doing is to file multiple application for one applicant. This totally flooded the system. They also hire people with unknown credential. When I was about graduate 3 years ago and was looking for a job, one of these companies reached out to me and told me to lie to their clients about my skills set so that I can get a project for myself. Their "training" is simply pdf docs with some random questions, I just had to memorize them to answer the customers.

That does not sound like a good experience.. Thank you for sharing! Just thought I would throw it out there because we have had some good experiences as well.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Some good advice was posted.

But wanted to add that not all companies have the proper resources to sponsor a work visa. For example, a Labor Condition Application is needed first before an employer applies to sponsor a foreign worker. Some employers may simply not want to deal with process.

https://flag.dol.gov/programs/lca

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Armen Zatikyan said:

The lottery and its uncertainty of success is one big reason why so many are unwilling to risk it, as others have explained.  Another reason is that it is easier to hire software engineers and other specialized tech employees in countries outside the US and pay them lower salaries.  One example is all the big tech firms have significant operations in places like Hyderabad and Bangalore, India.  They work for Google there instead of in Silicon Valley at the Mountain View headquarters.  One long-term suggestion would be to get a PhD in software engineering, computer science, or data analytics, at any good university in the world, and then apply for college/university faculty jobs in the US.  The demand is huge here and we do H1B visas all the time for faculty we hire, as colleges/universities are exempt from the H1B lottery.  Good luck!

20 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

The lottery and its uncertainty of success is one big reason why so many are unwilling to risk it, as others have explained.  Another reason is that it is easier to hire software engineers and other specialized tech employees in countries outside the US and pay them lower salaries.  One example is all the big tech firms have significant operations in places like Hyderabad and Bangalore, India.  They work for Google there instead of in Silicon Valley at the Mountain View headquarters.  One long-term suggestion would be to get a PhD in software engineering, computer science, or data analytics, at any good university in the world, and then apply for college/university faculty jobs in the US.  The demand is huge here and we do H1B visas all the time for faculty we hire, as colleges/universities are exempt from the H1B lottery.  Good luck!

This is becoming more and more common.  With the establishment of PEOs and GECs, many US, European, etc companies are finding out that they can hire in countries through these legal structures and save substantial costs without even having a physical location in the country.  The pandemic has made these companies realize these as feasible hiring options.  It will be interesting to see what develops, but I do see these structures as potential threats to "white-collar" employment in the US going forward. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.