Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife received her passport back on Monday and we crossed the Niagara/Rainbow Bridge border yesterday to get the POE stamp and activate the immigrant visa!

We opted to get the stamp ahead of our flight on Tuesday, as I've heard airports can be busier for this process, and additionally we would be stressed worrying about luggage on baggage carousels while we're activating the visa if there was a delay.

Even though we were successful, I don't recommend doing this for other couples.

Covid-19 has made this an ordeal (like everything else) and I (American) was almost refused entry back into Canada due to not having a negative Covid test, even though all we did was cross CA->US, technically stepped foot on US soil to activate the Visa, and turned around US->CA in less than an hour.

Now we just await the SSN and greencard!  We created a USCIS account for her and absurdly, ridiculously, my wife's profile information was entered with NMN right next to her middle name, so it reads FirstName MiddleName NMN LastName.  I found another thread where this didn't turn out to be a problem for that group of people, but the incompetence is mind-boggling.

On "my.uscis.gov" looking at her pending case for "i-551 permanent resident card", should there be more updates beyond 'payment received' or does it take a bit of time to update with another case status?  Just not used to this page, so trying to recognize what to look for.

I can't believe this process is finally done after such a long time and so many emotional hurdles.  Good luck to all the other couple out there and hang in there!  This forum is therapy for everyone going through this process, and I don't feel like we would have been able to get through without it.  We feel like we can breathe again

Timeline
23 minutes ago, 6ixtoSoCal said:

My wife received her passport back on Monday and we crossed the Niagara/Rainbow Bridge border yesterday to get the POE stamp and activate the immigrant visa!

We opted to get the stamp ahead of our flight on Tuesday, as I've heard airports can be busier for this process, and additionally we would be stressed worrying about luggage on baggage carousels while we're activating the visa if there was a delay.

Even though we were successful, I don't recommend doing this for other couples.

Covid-19 has made this an ordeal (like everything else) and I (American) was almost refused entry back into Canada due to not having a negative Covid test, even though all we did was cross CA->US, technically stepped foot on US soil to activate the Visa, and turned around US->CA in less than an hour.

Now we just await the SSN and greencard!  We created a USCIS account for her and absurdly, ridiculously, my wife's profile information was entered with NMN right next to her middle name, so it reads FirstName MiddleName NMN LastName.  I found another thread where this didn't turn out to be a problem for that group of people, but the incompetence is mind-boggling.

On "my.uscis.gov" looking at her pending case for "i-551 permanent resident card", should there be more updates beyond 'payment received' or does it take a bit of time to update with another case status?  Just not used to this page, so trying to recognize what to look for.

I can't believe this process is finally done after such a long time and so many emotional hurdles.  Good luck to all the other couple out there and hang in there!  This forum is therapy for everyone going through this process, and I don't feel like we would have been able to get through without it.  We feel like we can breathe again

I’m glad to hear your journey is done, and you can finally start living your life! Congrats, you must be so happy and relieved.

So ridiculous the border gave you a hard time coming back into Canada. I was thinking of doing that too, since I live 1 hour from the land border, and didn’t want to deal with that flying out West. Maybe just stick to going to the airport super early.

I feel like I’m one of the only Montrealers on this thread. Anyone had experience flying out of YUL and activating their visa?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, annierob said:

I’m glad to hear your journey is done, and you can finally start living your life! Congrats, you must be so happy and relieved.

So ridiculous the border gave you a hard time coming back into Canada. I was thinking of doing that too, since I live 1 hour from the land border, and didn’t want to deal with that flying out West. Maybe just stick to going to the airport super early.

I feel like I’m one of the only Montrealers on this thread. Anyone had experience flying out of YUL and activating their visa?

Thank you so much!

Yes I think maybe the airport is the better option given what was involved for us.  YYZ has customs before boarding, I imagine YUL is the same right?  I wasn't sure if the activation would be done in YYZ or LAX for us, but seems less stressful if you can get it done before boarding!  Good luck, and thank you for the kind words :)

Timeline
37 minutes ago, 6ixtoSoCal said:

Thank you so much!

Yes I think maybe the airport is the better option given what was involved for us.  YYZ has customs before boarding, I imagine YUL is the same right?  I wasn't sure if the activation would be done in YYZ or LAX for us, but seems less stressful if you can get it done before boarding!  Good luck, and thank you for the kind words :)

Yes, customs is always done before boarding (unless you have a connecting flight at another Canadian airport).

Is there anyone who crossed the border and has a good idea on how to get a temporary health insurance coverage till starting a new job?

I'm crossing the border this weekend and trying to find a short term policy but haven't been able to find one. 

Initially I thought I can just buy a travel insurance, but when I spoke with the online agent I was told that the travel insurance won't cover my situation because I will no longer be a Canadian resident once I cross the border. 

6 hours ago, John416 said:

Thanks darth vader I feel as if I am almost at the top of the hill or just over the hill tumbling down it hitting every pothole possible .

AP is for police, court docs and they ended up accepting the funds they just want all of it in our US account for one lump sum (easy to do I just thought with the funds being documented with the IRS as well it didn't really matter that half was in Canada half in USA but Ill transfer the rest and send in proof).

So looks like they "accepted" the finds in principle but technically you need to provide further proof once you have transferred all funds to the U.S. account.

I wanted to ask you:

1. What proof of these funds did you provide at NVC stage? Just online bank account statements or a signed letter from the bank also?
2. Did you upload to CEAC or take updated proof of funds statements/letter with you to the interview or the amount of funds did not change from NVC stage to interview?

Thanks!

Edited by darth vader

2 hours ago, annierob said:

Don't have experience when it comes to activating a visa, but from my experience, YUL US customs is by far the best 😂  they're always so nice and barely ask any questions besides what's needed. I'm sure that things will go very smoothly when it's time for you to go. The activating process itself will be very similar to how it is at other airports tho 

Edited by Danii

Timeline
4 hours ago, Shumai84 said:

Is there anyone who crossed the border and has a good idea on how to get a temporary health insurance coverage till starting a new job?

I'm crossing the border this weekend and trying to find a short term policy but haven't been able to find one. 

Initially I thought I can just buy a travel insurance, but when I spoke with the online agent I was told that the travel insurance won't cover my situation because I will no longer be a Canadian resident once I cross the border. 

Not an answer to your question, but wondering why you don’t just get your spouse to add you to their health insurance, provided by their employer?

That’s interesting to note about the travel insurance not covering you… good to know.

Just now, From_CAN_2_US said:

Not an answer to your question, but wondering why you don’t just get your spouse to add you to their health insurance, provided by their employer?

That’s interesting to note about the travel insurance not covering you… good to know.

My American spouse doesn't have health insurance in the US right now as we have been living in Canada and we are moving together to the US.

I already got a job lined up in the US starting later this month, but he doesn't, so we need a temporary health insurance at least until my start date. Initially we thought we can just buy a travel insurance for this gap period, but apparently it's not intended for a new immigrant who lives in the US and you have to be a resident of another country to be covered by a travel insurance.

I looked at an option of buying a short term monthly policy but the online agent said you have to have lived in the US at least for 12 months to qualify, so neither of my spouse or I will qualify.  I was told the only option I can qualify right now is a "fixed indemnity plan" which is basically a supplementary coverage that mitigates the risk of out-of-pocket expense but this is NOT a health insurance coverage. I guess this is better than nothing so I might go with this option if I can't find anything better. Unless my spouse can find a job immediately, probably he will have to do the same as the enrolment period for Affordable Care Act doesn't start till Nov 1st.  

I knew American healthcare system is crazy, but it's actually quite scary not being able to qualify for a decent coverage. Reading all these details of deductibles and payment limits makes me feel like there is a price tag to each of my body parts and life itself in the US....

Timeline
1 hour ago, Shumai84 said:

My American spouse doesn't have health insurance in the US right now as we have been living in Canada and we are moving together to the US.

I already got a job lined up in the US starting later this month, but he doesn't, so we need a temporary health insurance at least until my start date. Initially we thought we can just buy a travel insurance for this gap period, but apparently it's not intended for a new immigrant who lives in the US and you have to be a resident of another country to be covered by a travel insurance.

I looked at an option of buying a short term monthly policy but the online agent said you have to have lived in the US at least for 12 months to qualify, so neither of my spouse or I will qualify.  I was told the only option I can qualify right now is a "fixed indemnity plan" which is basically a supplementary coverage that mitigates the risk of out-of-pocket expense but this is NOT a health insurance coverage. I guess this is better than nothing so I might go with this option if I can't find anything better. Unless my spouse can find a job immediately, probably he will have to do the same as the enrolment period for Affordable Care Act doesn't start till Nov 1st.  

I knew American healthcare system is crazy, but it's actually quite scary not being able to qualify for a decent coverage. Reading all these details of deductibles and payment limits makes me feel like there is a price tag to each of my body parts and life itself in the US....

I am an immigrant in Canada (arrived in 2018), and I remember now checking up on travel insurance for me to have until my OHIP kicked in, and finding I wasn’t applicable to new immigrants. There were other options in Canada though - Private Health insurance plans for new immigrants.

I did a quick search and found this for the US; have you looked into it?

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-health-insurance/plans/

I can imagine how for a Canadian, with the wonderful healthcare we enjoy here (although not perfect), the healthcare in the US can be a shock. I agree ofcourse that is atrocious and I hope things will improve in the coming decades.

Myself, except for my childhood in the Bahrain, I lived in countries with no social healthcare. So getting that OHIP card when I moved to Canada, was a momentous occasion in my mind. I really value it, and sad to have to let it go.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
11 hours ago, darth vader said:

So looks like they "accepted" the finds in principle but technically you need to provide further proof once you have transferred all funds to the U.S. account.

I wanted to ask you:

1. What proof of these funds did you provide at NVC stage? Just online bank account statements or a signed letter from the bank also?
2. Did you upload to CEAC or take updated proof of funds statements/letter with you to the interview or the amount of funds did not change from NVC stage to interview?

Thanks!

We provided both online statements and some original statements we had that went back 5 plus years to show the funds has always been there not deposited recently and uploaded it to CEAC with a short note describing these funds at the NVC stage in 2020.
After we were DQ I never uploaded anything again to CEAC I brought everything that was on CEAC to the interview as well as all account statements from this year with updated balances from a few days before my interview.
The agent asked me for all the account updated information I brought with me.
The funds never really changed since NVC stage and was always over the min required amount needed.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Shumai84 said:

When I have lived as an expat in other countries, I have used Cigna international insurance. It is pricey, but you can cancel at any time and the coverage is comprehensive. They have a US option.

Timeline

Hey everyone! a quick update on our journey -

I've crossed at Rainbow Bridge on July 30th, received SSN about a week later and my GC today (September 3rd)!

A cool tip I noticed wasn't shared before, once you move - register your new address with USPS and signup for informed delivery. it costs 1 dollar and it's a daily message from USPS with screenshots of email and packages you'll receive today. it made it so easy and relaxing not anxiously fearing the card won't get delivered. I'm adding a screenshot so you'll see how it looks like.

Best of luck y'all. hang in there!!!

IMG_965421A2E300-1.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, NimF said:

A cool tip I noticed wasn't shared before, once you move - register your new address with USPS and signup for informed delivery.

actually, informed delivery has been discussed often & it has no cost

Edited by Hawk Riders

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.