Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to post my timeline as I finally received my green card. The process was pretty straight forward for me. The only thing I'd recommend is when you cross the border... ask to see what information the border agent is putting in the system. They changed my address and also put my name in wrong so it was a bit of a headache getting my SSN fixed. My green card did arrive with all the correct information.

I really appreciate all the information in this forum and everyone on it! It made the process much easier. 

Sent i-130 - November 14, 2019 (Also my priority date) 

i-130 Approved - June 24, 2020

Filed with NVC - July 23, 2020

DQ'd - August 11, 2020

Interview Date: April 21, 2021

Passport Returned: April 26, 2021

Crossed Border: May 4, 2021

Green Card Received: August 30th, 2021

Thanks so much everyone! So glad to finally have the card in hand! 

Timeline
On 8/31/2021 at 11:18 AM, Flowergirl 737 said:

Hello everyone, what is the time waiting for the green card and SSN, if you have crossed the border with your VISA in the past 3 weeks can you let me know if you got anything ? Still waiting after 3 weeks. Do I need both green card and SSN to work ? Thank you guys in advance. 

Your green card will probably take over 90 days to arrive. I just received mine and crossed May 4th. The SSN is fairly quick, I see most people getting it within 2-3 weeks. You can call your social SSN office and ask them if there is a SSN on file for you. They can tell if one has been created as you answer a few security questions. In my case it was lost in the mail so I had to make an appointment and visit them in person and get a new one. 

You don't need your green card to work. You can use the visa in your passport for proof of residency. 

Edited by Leah123

Timeline
22 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

How are you "living" in the US? On a TN visa?

On A TN, so have gone back to Canada once since the police clearance, and going again in September.

Timeline
53 minutes ago, HD_BIRDS said:

On A TN, so have gone back to Canada once since the police clearance, and going again in September.

The rule is:

"Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate."

It does not matter how many times you visit Canada. The certificate expire after 2 years. So long as you have your interview within two years of having the certificate issued you are good. If it crosses two years, you would have to get a new one.

What others are asking is a different case. Say you had lived in France from 2005 to 2016. You have a police certificate from France issued in  2017, and have an interview in 2021. It has been more than 2 years since the police certificate was issued. So long as you haven't visited France since the police certificate has been issued, you do not have to worry about its expiry. It will still be valid.

Timeline
1 hour ago, darth vader said:

Do we know the reason why?

I suggest you turn back several pages, there is in depth discussion and analysis about this.

Montreal processed up to 3 times as many visas for IR1/CR1 as pre-pandemic days between March and June 2021. It is now maintaining the same number of visas per month as pre-pandemic days. If the number of DQs for IR1/CR1 had remained the same through the pandmemic, Montreal would have significantly reduced teh time between DQ and interview. Yet, this period is only exponentially increasing. 

This clearly tells us that the number of DQs being issued per month increased after the pandemic hit for months of June, July, August,  September, October 2020.

We have some evidence to believe teh number of DQs may have reduced for the months of Nov 20. Dec 20. Jan 21, Feb 21 and Mar 21. But may have increased again after April 21. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

15 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The rule is:

"Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate."

It does not matter how many times you visit Canada. The certificate expire after 2 years. So long as you have your interview within two years of having the certificate issued you are good. If it crosses two years, you would have to get a new one.

What others are asking is a different case. Say you had lived in France from 2005 to 2016. You have a police certificate from France issued in  2017, and have an interview in 2021. It has been more than 2 years since the police certificate was issued. So long as you haven't visited France since the police certificate has been issued, you do not have to worry about its expiry. It will still be valid.

Thank you!!! This is very clear. I know I have read this on the forum before, but thank you so much for clarifying!

Edited by HD_BIRDS
quoted two posts instead of the relevant one

On 8/30/2021 at 4:45 PM, MiloPinkman said:

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. What happened to the birth certificate since you marked it not available. What was the alternative you provided?

We got a new version through a relative in China while we were waiting for the interview. The 2000 version had all the info and a translation, but was missing a page that certified the translation as accurate. NVC would not accept a separate translation verification, so we had to get a new notarial birth certificate. Resubmitting documents with NVC in fall 2020 took about two weeks for a response each time, which definitely slowed us down, so in the end we just marked the document as not available to get in line for the interview.

Also we forgot in our earlier account - the embassy also asked for the original police certificate, which was a month or two past one year old. So a data point on the new 2 year policy.

Edited by Davidjgrey
Typo

On 8/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, rainbow-skies said:

GREAT NEWS!

As I am leaving the airport to return to Canada after visiting my wife for a month (hardest goodbye ever -they never get easier) - we get an email saying our expedite request was approved (DQd April 30th 2021) and is in transit to the embassy. I just called my wife and we are just ecstatic. We got notice last week it was under review.  

Now I am on my way back to Canada and time to prepare for the last stage. 

We do have a question, because the email from NVC says "The Embassy/Consulate General will contact you soon to schedule a visa interview"   but then when we go onto CEAC to check status it says "Your case is in transit to the Consular Section. Your interview date was provided to you by the National Visa Center".

Am I supposed to wait for them to contact me for the interview date or is there somewhere I should be looking?

Thanks to all and best of luck to everyone!

Mel 

Congrats! May I ask for your reason for requesting expedite?

6 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

@darth vader May I request you update your timeline? Is your consulate Mumbai, India or Montreal, Canada?

I will. As soon as I submit NVC docs. There is a slight chance we may change my consulate to Mumbai, so right now it is just like a placeholder. Hope that helps.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I will. As soon as I submit NVC docs. There is a slight chance we may change my consulate to Mumbai, so right now it is just like a placeholder. Hope that helps.

I see. Mumbai Consulate is a couple of months ahead of Montreal, but can't tell how things will change going forward.

Timeline

My case is finally being moved to NVC and I'm in the process or looking for requesting a police cert through commissionairies while my husband is visiting in the US.

Has anyone requested a police cert without having to go in person to a local police office? I've read through forums that if one doesn't have a criminal record, you don't need to be finger printed. How long did it take to get a police certificate in hand?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Booey_US_CA said:

My case is finally being moved to NVC and I'm in the process or looking for requesting a police cert through commissionairies while my husband is visiting in the US.

Has anyone requested a police cert without having to go in person to a local police office? I've read through forums that if one doesn't have a criminal record, you don't need to be finger printed. How long did it take to get a police certificate in hand?

You absolutely need to get yourself fingerprinted. You do not need to go to the police office. Most of us here did it at the commissionaires who are a third party authorised agent. 

Time frame varies for receipt of certificate. Some have gotten it within a week, but most wait 3 to 4 weeks. Some have had bad luck and needed to wait even longer.

Note - it is cheaper to get the Canadian police certificate done in Canada than in the US.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
8 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

You absolutely need to get yourself fingerprinted. You do not need to go to the police office. Most of us here did it at the commissionaires who are a third party authorised agent. 

Time frame varies for receipt of certificate. Some have gotten it within a week, but most wait 3 to 4 weeks. Some have had bad luck and needed to wait even longer.

Note - it is cheaper to get the Canadian police certificate done in Canada than in the US.

Right, I'm more concerned that we need to get this done and he won't be back in Canada until early October so we wanted to get this done or started in some way. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.