Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, hellbob said:

We had our interview 4 Aug.  He did not get accepted.  I was so worried about all the other documents and double, triple checked everything and got updated sponsorship forms and updated tax returns etc.  Of course something we never thought of occurred.  He lived in Arizona as a teenager under his father's investor visa.  Apparently they found a mention of a court document for a Failure to Appear in 1994.  He had moved back to Canada in 1993 and when he came to visit in the US in 1994, he found out about the notice and went to court and it was dismissed.  At the interview, they said that they had record of a Failure to Appear in 1994, but no information on what it was or what happened to it so they could not approve his visa.  We're obviously devastated after waiting this long.  They did keep his passport, which is hopefully a kind of good sign but also means he can't visit.  We've called Arizona and they have no records of anything at all and said they don't keep them over 10 years so we are getting them to send a certified No Records Found letter.  This is so frustrating.  We had a year to do this if they had requested it last year when we were DQ'd.  

I don't know how to proceed however.  I guess we got the dreaded AP?  We just need to upload the No Records Found letter to CEAC?  I uploaded a lot of other documents after we got DQ'd and they never changed status from Submitted to Approved.  Do we just hope our file is flagged and they look at any new documents?  We thought he'd be coming home.  Feeling so devastated and helpless and have no idea what to do or expect. 

I'm so sorry. You're correct that them keeping his passport is a good sign because it means that they expect to issue the visa. I believe that missing documents have to be mailed to the consulate and not uploaded on CEAC, but I could be wrong. There are a bunch of people in this thread that have had to mail things in and hopefully one of them will chime in with the process. Alternatively, you can email the consulate and confirm what they would like you to do if none of the documentation they provided explicitly says what to do. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline

I was DQed Oct.6,2020

I believe I should have my IL soon I was wondering if anyone has any input into this question.

On my police background check there is a charge from 1993 that was withdrawn on court day and when I research the Police background requirements it clearly states provide court documents if you have ever been "convicted of a Crime" ( which I have never been).

Will there be any issues with a case that was "Withdrawn" and nothing else on my back ground check.

From the https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/approval-denial/ webiste. If your visa is approved, it will be placed in your passport and mailed to you together with a sealed IV packet envelope (do not open this envelope yourself). 

Do the consulate only send the passport with the visa back to you? And can you open that to check the passport when it's arrived?

What Iv packet envelope is the website talking about?

Edited by Fobosdaemios

So we finally got our visa today!!!

couple of questions about crossing border :

1. We want to go to usa to initially activate visa to green card , apply for ssn set up our bank accounts then come back to Canada for final packing .

2. Are we allow to cross by land to usa ? We are fully vaccinated is that enough or is there other requirements ? 
3. Will we have to get tested when we r returning back to Canada 

1 hour ago, Melody1920 said:

So we finally got our visa today!!!

couple of questions about crossing border :

1. We want to go to usa to initially activate visa to green card , apply for ssn set up our bank accounts then come back to Canada for final packing .

2. Are we allow to cross by land to usa ? We are fully vaccinated is that enough or is there other requirements ? 
3. Will we have to get tested when we r returning back to Canada 

Hello, does consulate only send back the passport with the visa inside it?

2 & 3. I'm pretty sure you still have to get tested for covid before entering USA or coming back to Canada. It's just that you're no longer required to quarantine when coming back to Canada. It's best to check with each country travel requirements before you're heading to the US or coming back to Canada though.

USA still hasn't lifted border restrictions for Canada yet but you shouldn't have any problem since your visa is approved. 

Edited by Fobosdaemios

56 minutes ago, Fobosdaemios said:

2 & 3. I'm pretty sure you still have to get tested for covid before entering USA or coming back to Canada. It's just that you're no longer required to quarantine when coming back to Canada. It's best to check with each country travel requirements before you're heading to the US or coming back to Canada though.

USA still hasn't lifted border restrictions for Canada yet but you shouldn't have any problem since your visa is approved. 

My understanding is that, if you are driving to enter the US through the land border, covid testing is not required, but if you fly to the US, the covid testing with a negative result is required within 3 days from your flight. Other VJ members who just got approved recently and crossed the POE should be able to share their experience. 

https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/

I believe the quarantine requirement is set by each state, so it depends on where you are headed. We checked the info of the state of PA, and it doesn't seem like there is any quarantine requirement. 

I also read that, currently there is no global standard to prove your vaccination status, so the US government might not recognize the proof of vaccination from the Canadian government. It appears the US government is not recognizing those who got vaccinated with pfizer/moderna in Japan when they arrive the US by air, so it might be the case for those who arrive from Canada either. 

Edited by Shumai84

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Crossed over the border this evening with my motorcycle without issue. CBP informed me that I would have to import my vehicles formally soon otherwise they will deny entry to my BC plated vehicles if I don't do it eventually. My VW should be fine as they issued me a letter of compliance, but my BMW motorcycle is going to be a pain as they are refusing to issue a letter. So I'm gonna be going through a registered importer later on in order to get that sorted.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
4 hours ago, John416 said:

I was DQed Oct.6,2020

I believe I should have my IL soon I was wondering if anyone has any input into this question.

On my police background check there is a charge from 1993 that was withdrawn on court day and when I research the Police background requirements it clearly states provide court documents if you have ever been "convicted of a Crime" ( which I have never been).

Will there be any issues with a case that was "Withdrawn" and nothing else on my back ground check.

Contact the court and get a "certified letter for immigration purposes" of no records found.  It was super easy to do through Arizona and was free and arrived in less than a week via mail.  If I had known this might even come up I would have done it a year ago!  

49 minutes ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Crossed over the border this evening with my motorcycle without issue. CBP informed me that I would have to import my vehicles formally soon otherwise they will deny entry to my BC plated vehicles if I don't do it eventually. My VW should be fine as they issued me a letter of compliance, but my BMW motorcycle is going to be a pain as they are refusing to issue a letter. So I'm gonna be going through a registered importer later on in order to get that sorted.

Nice! I'm just wondering if you got the passport with the visa back from the consulate only or you also received something else?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Fobosdaemios said:

Nice! I'm just wondering if you got the passport with the visa back from the consulate only or you also received something else?

Passport with visa attached and welcome to the USA letter too. That’s it…

7 hours ago, Fobosdaemios said:

Yes we just got the passport with visa stamped 

Timeline
6 hours ago, hellbob said:

Contact the court and get a "certified letter for immigration purposes" of no records found.  It was super easy to do through Arizona and was free and arrived in less than a week via mail.  If I had known this might even come up I would have done it a year ago!  

Thanks for the information.

I will do this just to be on the safe side.

I never thought this was an issue but saying that who knows anymore what will come out of the woodwork at the interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, Fobosdaemios said:

No, there isn't a packet anymore. Instead the notation on your visa "IV Docs in CCD" means that the 'packet' has been added to an electronic system that both DoS and DHS/CBP can access, so no need for the physical one.

44 minutes ago, Melody1920 said:

How do we pay fees after receiving visa ? Is the “registration number” the alien number ?

Yes!

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.