Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I know the validity of the Canadian police check is extended, but does anyone know if that also applies to police checks from other countries as well? I lived in Europe for a few years, so I got a police check from there and translated it, but it's already over a year old now. 

Any insight into this would be appreciated!

18 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

so I got a police check from there and translated it, but it's already over a year old now.

Since you no longer live there it's still valid: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.
Edited by HRQX

14 hours ago, HRQX said:

Since you no longer live there it's still valid: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than two years ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.

If we go back to my home country for vacation for a couple of weeks, it would require us to get a new certificate?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, usaBoundSud said:

If we go back to my home country for vacation for a couple of weeks, it would require us to get a new certificate?

My assumption from your question - you live is Canada and have another home country which you visited for 2 weeks for vacation.

1. If you ever lived in your home country for more than 6 months in your life you have to provide a police certificate for that country.

2. This certificate is valid for 2 years from the date it is issued.

3. If your interview falls within this 2 years period, you do not require a new police certificate.

4. If your interview falls outside this 2 year period and you have returned there since the date it was issued, you will need to provide a new police certificate. (One can interpret a 2 week vacation visit as a return, so I would get a new certificate to be safe in this case.)

Source - 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued.”

Timeline

I am quite a bit disappointed to have July come to an end with no more interviews scheduled for CR1/IR1 for the last week of August. I REALLY was expecting there would be more letters issued this month.

I was proved wrong, and despite green zone and everything, I suppose Montreal is going to just proceed with issuing about 100 visas per month, exponentially increasing the backlog... 

At this point, as a May 2021 DQ, I am now expecting a wait time of 14-16 months from DQ for my interview. ☹️

Our only hope is Montreal hiring more staff or training staff at other consulates to conduct the interviews...

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline

Side note - While I am in this IR1/CR1 process I am also closely watching the Canadian immigration citizenship processes as I am going to be applying for it in a couple as months as well.

Unlike the US consulates rigid rules which they are refusing to change, Canada has adapted their citizenship processes much better to pandemic.

1. Tests, oaths and interviews have moved to being online

2. Interviews are actually being waived for majority of candidates for the first time in history

3. Canada is even allowing for applicants to take the tests while abroad (for those who are facing travel restrictions).

I applaud Canada for being so adaptive. All we hear from DoS when questioned about online interviews is “it’s in the statutes...” 🙄

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I REALLY was expecting there would be more letters issued this month.

Why?

They batch once a month, with previous exception having been rescheduling canceled interviews.

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
45 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I applaud Canada for being so adaptive. All we hear from DoS when questioned about online interviews is “it’s in the statutes...” 🙄

As do I, but to be fair to the DOS it actually is and they're not just saying that as an excuse. To change it would be a long and potentially fruitless process (considering how many in congress would probably like to restrict immigration further and this would be asking to make it easier). 

Edited by DGF

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

2 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

My assumption from your question - you live is Canada and have another home country which you visited for 2 weeks for vacation.

1. If you ever lived in your home country for more than 6 months in your life you have to provide a police certificate for that country.

2. This certificate is valid for 2 years from the date it is issued.

3. If your interview falls within this 2 years period, you do not require a new police certificate.

4. If your interview falls outside this 2 year period and you have returned there since the date it was issued, you will need to provide a new police certificate. (One can interpret a 2 week vacation visit as a return, so I would get a new certificate to be safe in this case.)

Source - 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued.”

Your assumption is right, I reside and work in Canada and I would like to return to India for a 2 weeks vacation within the 2 year time time frame since the certificate was issued. It was a hassle to get it the 1st time so I am hoping to not have to do it again. 

4 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I am quite a bit disappointed to have July come to an end with no more interviews scheduled for CR1/IR1 for the last week of August. I REALLY was expecting there would be more letters issued this month.

I was proved wrong, and despite green zone and everything, I suppose Montreal is going to just proceed with issuing about 100 visas per month, exponentially increasing the backlog... 

At this point, as a May 2021 DQ, I am now expecting a wait time of 14-16 months from DQ for my interview. ☹️

Our only hope is Montreal hiring more staff or training staff at other consulates to conduct the interviews...

They only post once a month. There was a job posting add I seen but not 100% on it as it was on glassdoor. We have a very very long wait a head of us unless something changes as soon the tier system maybe removed. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, G_K said:

Quick question, do you need an ESTA when flying to the US with your visa stamp ?

No. ESTA is not required if you have any visa in your passport. It is specifically for visa-free tourism/business travel to the US under the Visa Wavier Program. As you are not using the VWP you do not need an ESTA. If I recall correctly, your ESTA may also get cancelled as a result of receiving an immigrant visa.

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

5 hours ago, Mgill91 said:

Hey everyone! 

A little update. My visa was issued on Tuesday, July 27. I got the notification it was sent out yesterday (30th) and it's out for delivery today (31st)! I'm in Alberta for anyone who is trying to estimate their times as well!

Delivered as of 2:30 pm! Much quicker turnaround than I anticipated. I'll be flying out Tuesday! Good luck to everyone still waiting, I hope the process speeds up because I know how draining it can be. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, DGF said:

As do I, but to be fair to the DOS it actually is and they're not just saying that as an excuse. To change it would be a long and potentially fruitless process (considering how many in congress would probably like to restrict immigration further and this would be asking to make it easier). 

I believe it was in Canada’s législation that the citizenship test has to take place on Canadian soil and that every single citizenship candidate is to be interviewed (it still says so on their website actually.) Yet, in practice, Canada adapted.... while US is sticking to status quo.

Thèse are unprecedented circumstances, it requires unprecedented measures.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.