Captain Ewok

US developing plan to require foreign visitors to be vaccinated

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

What about people who contracted the disease?  What purpose does it serve to vaccinate them since their immunity is at least equal to the vaccine's artificial immunity.  There is risk to vaccination.  I am vaccinated.  But my wife chooses not to until the vaccines become fully vetted.  I suspect this is about power.  Never let a crisis go to waste?

If the vaccines are effective you don't need to tell others to vaccinate.  You need to.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:11 PM, millefleur said:

I'm curious how this would even work? I imagine that a lot of countries don't even issue vaccine papers in English?

Still unclear what the process would be for visitors, etc. but below is new info ("effective from October 1, 2021") for the medical exams for immigrants (including K categories) and refugees.

Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/civil-surgeons/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

On 8/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, commocean said:

What about people who contracted the disease?  What purpose does it serve to vaccinate them since their immunity is at least equal to the vaccine's artificial immunity.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html "The applicant is required to receive the vaccine series regardless of evidence of immunity or COVID-19 infection. The duration of immunity due to natural infection is still being investigated and might not protect the applicant throughout the immigration process. Also, COVID-19 antibody tests are not reliable indicators of active infection."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, HRQX said:

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html "The applicant is required to receive the vaccine series regardless of evidence of immunity or COVID-19 infection. The duration of immunity due to natural infection is still being investigated and might not protect the applicant throughout the immigration process. Also, COVID-19 antibody tests are not reliable indicators of active infection."

If you replace "natural infection" with "vaccination" it reads the same.  Vaccinated people may not be protected through the immigration process. Of course, if it's the law we must obey it.    It's a shame that the once well-respected CDC is now doubted by a lot of knowledgeable people. 

There isn't anything "natural" about this infection.  There are no bats in Wuhan in the wintertime.  It's cold there.  Bats cant handle cold.  There is however a lab there that experiments bioengineering bat viruses to be more infective to humans.  While any real questioning about what went on there is very aggressively covered up, the good folks there swear that it couldn't be one of 'their' bioengineered bat viruses.

I constantly find myself wondering why the same people who are terrified by the best defense against this virus anyone has proposed, are fearless and apparently almost insistent that everyone should just man up and take their exposure to Chinese bioengineered virus because after all "it kills less than 1% of the people it infects".

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/26/2021 at 12:12 PM, HRQX said:

Still unclear what the process would be for visitors, etc. but below is new info ("effective from October 1, 2021") for the medical exams for immigrants (including K categories) and refugees.

Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/civil-surgeons/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

Thanks for sharing. What does this mean for those of us in Canada that received a cocktail?

I received Pfizer as first shot and moderna as second shot.

1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

What does this mean for those of us in Canada that received a cocktail?

Looks like the Panel Physicians would take into consideration the mixed doses: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html "The applicant should be vaccinated in accordance with the specific instructions for the formulation used in the country where the examination occurs."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife, who I’m sponsoring for a green card, just got her first moderna shot last week. 

Hopefully she gets her second dose on time, but that’s looking very iffy. I’m assuming that if she doesn’t get it, or gets it much later than 28 days, or even a different vac like pfizer or something, they’ll still approve or waive it. 

I can’t imagine they’ll deny visas because visa applicants couldn’t get their shots on time due to supply constraints. 

Edited by Bill Hamze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 8/5/2021 at 2:32 PM, Mike E said:

But Biden said there would be no vaccine passports! /s

He lied! You may not carry one but my pharmacist said they have to enter your information in a database when you get the vaccine 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, Bill Hamze said:

My wife, who I’m sponsoring for a green card, just got her first moderna shot last week. 

Hopefully she gets her second dose on time, but that’s looking very iffy. I’m assuming that if she doesn’t get it, or gets it much later than 28 days, or even a different vac like pfizer or something, they’ll still approve or waive it. 

I can’t imagine they’ll deny visas because visa applicants couldn’t get their shots on time due to supply constraints. 

They did say that unavailability of vaccine supplies could be grounds for a waiver.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vaccine requirements are quite common. Specially for yellow fever (an specially morbid vaccine). There's even a UN certificate for this. Nothing needs to be invented. Just applied. As to whether it makes sense in a public health manner, I don't know. It's an easy political point anyway. Let me illustrate:

I hear right wing crowds chanting:

- do you like foreign diseases coming here? NO

- do you like potentially infected foreigners coming here, with no vaccine ??? HELL NO

I hear left wing crowds chanting:

- we ALL should be vaccinated? YES

- Should it be mandatory? YES

- Should you get it to come to America? YES

BTW I think it's already in the needed vaccinations for adjustment of status! Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The recent FDA approval makes moots the experimental argument so no further comment on it. Again all travel is discretionary and no one is forcing anyone to do so, and requirement of vaccination for travel had been commonplace for a long long time!

Edited by Beto75

On 8/30/2021 at 11:37 PM, Ankomah said:

He lied! You may not carry one but my pharmacist said they have to enter your information in a database when you get the vaccine 

Yeap. Every state has vaccine records. For all vaccines. And usually laws that require record keeping during epidemics. Check with your state department of health. I got a paper from the Texas State department of health services, signed by a government official with my name and my shots. Verified by the state with verification code and some numbers. Looks legit. 

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/5/2021 at 11:39 PM, nykolos said:

Many other countries mandate that you be vaccinated as well, they do it to allow tourism to resume..  IMO, we should have done this months ago, so what if it's an experimental vaccine,  nobody is putting a gun to your head to take it, you just wont have the same freedoms as the vaccinated, You want to come to the US? take the vaccine or stay home.. I'd go a step further by applying the mandate to all forms of public transportation.

This argument seems to be that of most mainstream media outlets in most of the Western world, and I find it quite disingenuous - "no one's forcing you to take the vaccine... but, by the way, if you refuse to take it, life will be almost impossibly difficult for you, compared to those who just take the jab no questions asked." Yeah, no one's holding a gun to your head or forcibly injecting you with anything, but the people pushing these mandates are not indifferent to your choice, either. And if the vaccine is so effective you have to be de facto forced to take it, against a virus so dangerous that in most cases you need to take a test to know if you even have it, well, doesn't sound like health to me. Sounds like a power trip.

If those pushing for mandates genuinely cared about the "health and safety" of "anti-vaxxers," the discourse would be less... menacing ("take the vaccine or else"). It would be more pleading... "Please, don't die, get vaccinated." And if some have misgivings, it would be "That's okay, it's normal to have questions, here are the facts" (NOT just appeals to authority but actual statistics). That is not the approach I have been seeing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, JL & ML said:

This argument seems to be that of most mainstream media outlets in most of the Western world, and I find it quite disingenuous - "no one's forcing you to take the vaccine... but, by the way, if you refuse to take it, life will be almost impossibly difficult for you, compared to those who just take the jab no questions asked." Yeah, no one's holding a gun to your head or forcibly injecting you with anything, but the people pushing these mandates are not indifferent to your choice, either. And if the vaccine is so effective you have to be de facto forced to take it, against a virus so dangerous that in most cases you need to take a test to know if you even have it, well, doesn't sound like health to me. Sounds like a power trip.

If those pushing for mandates genuinely cared about the "health and safety" of "anti-vaxxers," the discourse would be less... menacing ("take the vaccine or else"). It would be more pleading... "Please, don't die, get vaccinated." And if some have misgivings, it would be "That's okay, it's normal to have questions, here are the facts" (NOT just appeals to authority but actual statistics). That is not the approach I have been seeing.

To be clear, I'm not one of those pro vaxers or mask wearing nut jobs, I respect those who don't want to take the jab for whatever reason, my post was primarily addressing the ability to travel abroad and re-opening tourism around the world..  Anyone who wants to travel abroad, needs to take the jab because no country that i know of is going to let them in unless they are vaccinated, and the US should be included...

Were 2 years into this damn pandemic and Americans still cant travel to many countries because the borders remain closed to US tourists, all because our case numbers are waaay too high. Something's gotta change, as imperfect as our vaccines are, it's all we have right now to combat it with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.