peejay

REVIVING THE 'MELTING POT'

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
go to Ajijic or Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.. you'll see more english signs and more people speaking english than spanish..
so we're gonna compare some tourist place to best buy? :blink:
yeah. not a fair comparison
because the english or spanish is related to business.. best buy wouldn't have spanish signs if spanish speaker customers didn't buy products.. do you think they would have a 'welcome to best buy/ bienvenido a best buy' just for sh!ts and giggles? they do it because more people will buy there, not because there's a hidden agenda of making spanish the official language of the USA

So, when I call the city hall in Puerto Vallarta or Ajijic I press two for English?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
go to Ajijic or Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.. you'll see more english signs and more people speaking english than spanish..
because the english or spanish is related to business.. best buy wouldn't have spanish signs if spanish speaker customers didn't buy products.. do you think they would have a 'welcome to best buy/ bienvenido a best buy' just for sh!ts and giggles? they do it because more people will buy there, not because there's a hidden agenda of making spanish the official language of the USA

So, when I call the city hall in Puerto Vallarta or Ajijic I press two for English?

I was talking only about the private side of bilingualism, not the government side, don't try to mix it.. i was commenting only about that best buy commentary before..... my point is.. in private businesses and such, spanish is not part of a conspiracy to destroy english... is just used to make more money..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

so we're gonna compare some touryouist place to best buy? :blink:
I was talking only about the private side of bilingualism, not the government side, don't try to mix it.. i was commenting only about that best buy commentary before..... my point is.. in private businesses and such, spanish is not part of a conspiracy to destroy english... is just used to make more money...

Around here, the latter is a consequence of the former, my friend. The government, on all levels, has largely discouraged assimilation and the pursuit of the concept of a common language. Which resulted in ever more people being unable to converse in English. Business will cater to the money and if the money don't speak one language, then business will cater to the money in whatever language it happens to speak. Nothing new there.

The situation here clearly doesn't compare to tourist spots overseas, though. In case you haven't noticed, them folks ain't here on vacation. :no:

As for the language button to press when calling the government, I take it you concede.

Edited by ET-US2004

so we're gonna compare some touryouist place to best buy? :blink:
I was talking only about the private side of bilingualism, not the government side, don't try to mix it.. i was commenting only about that best buy commentary before..... my point is.. in private businesses and such, spanish is not part of a conspiracy to destroy english... is just used to make more money...

Around here, the latter is a consequence of the former, my friend. The government, on all levels, has largely discouraged assimilation and the pursuit of the concept of a common language. Which resulted in ever more people being unable to converse in English. Business will cater to the money and if the money don't speak one language, then business will cater to the money in whatever language it happens to speak. Nothing new there.

The situation here clearly doesn't compare to tourist spots overseas, though. In case you haven't noticed, them folks ain't here on vacation. :no:

As for the language button to press when calling the government, I take it you concede.

Government should be accessible to everyone no matter what language. Just because someone knows English doesn't mean they are comfortable with it. That and there is so much potential for misunderstanding when a person is forced to use a language that they are not good at. Having a professional translator provide information in a person native language limits the possibility for misunderstanding.

Just like government is accessible to those with disabilities, it should be accessible to those speaking any language.

keTiiDCjGVo

I don't need to make a point. You already made it for me.

I'm glad I came back; you amuse me.

:lol:

Oh, by the way....here's your words back. You accidentally left them in my mouth.

Here's your bad attitude back. I see it followed you from Trollland - erm, the UK.

Nice try. I'm putting you on ignore again since you have nothing but snarky things to say to me and frankly, life's too short to put up with you.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Timeline

Oh, by the way....here's your words back. You accidentally left them in my mouth.

Here's your bad attitude back. I see it followed you from Trollland - erm, the UK.

Nice try. I'm putting you on ignore again since you have nothing but snarky things to say to me and frankly, life's too short to put up with you.

Oh thank God.

Oh thank God.

That's OK becky...I hate you too.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Oh thank God.

Shut up and grow up, H_A. Seriously.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh thank God.

:thumbs:

Cat.Fight.gif

Yup, catering to your customers is good for business. Even if English is the official language, most business will use the language or languages of their customers. If you can sell to them in a language that they are comfortable in, they are more likely to buy your products. It just makes good business sense.

So these apparently poor Mexicans can afford goods at best buy but are apparently here because they are poor. Something does not add up. Much like the richest person in the world being Mexican living in Mexico.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yup, catering to your customers is good for business. Even if English is the official language, most business will use the language or languages of their customers. If you can sell to them in a language that they are comfortable in, they are more likely to buy your products. It just makes good business sense.

So these apparently poor Mexicans can afford goods at best buy but are apparently here because they are poor. Something does not add up. Much like the richest person in the world being Mexican living in Mexico.

Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..............ROTFLMFAO :lol:

Mexicans are not the only immigrants, and not all of them are illegal or poor.

keTiiDCjGVo

Mexicans are not the only immigrants, and not all of them are illegal or poor.

I understand that not all are illegal but most of the illegal trespassers are from Mexico. Strange to me that the richest man in the 'WORLD' can be from the same country which is apparently crying poor and has no problem with sending it's poor to a sovereign nation for it to deal with them.

That is at the expense of the sovereign nation and 'its' poor people

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Oh thank God.

Shut up and grow up, H_A. Seriously.

:thumbs: