EKT

Any experience with interviews in Auckland?

522 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, ztiberiusd said:

So you're saying that you didn't have to wait the full length of time for a RFE response and calling NVC helped expedite that process? I'm currently waiting for our case to be DQ'd after a very simple error in the I-864 paperwork and I'm dreading having to wait another 3+ months for it to be looked at, so if you have any knowledge on how to expedite this... Please share. 

Sorry my last post was confusing. To be clear, we didn't resubmit a document. The issue was not with the document that was submitted, but instead was caused by the fact that the consulate needed to forward the results of the police certificate directly on their end to be included. Our document was retroactively accepted after the consulate re-forwarded the results. So I think it's a bit of a different situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hey, not sure whether to make a new thread with this or post in here, but I got my packet 4 on wednesday and paid for my visa, but it's saying i have to wait for an email to actually schedule my appointment. In the Packet 4 they said my interview would be Wednesday the 12th of January, but I'm worried because I still haven't received the email to actually schedule it, I've just paid for it. Just worried it won't arrive in time. Does anyone know how long this usually takes? Or do you have any advice, should I call the embassy? Thanks to everyone in advance :) so ready for the waiting period to be over! At least for this stage 

1 hour ago, kas & jewel said:

Hey, not sure whether to make a new thread with this or post in here, but I got my packet 4 on wednesday and paid for my visa, but it's saying i have to wait for an email to actually schedule my appointment. In the Packet 4 they said my interview would be Wednesday the 12th of January, but I'm worried because I still haven't received the email to actually schedule it, I've just paid for it. Just worried it won't arrive in time. Does anyone know how long this usually takes? Or do you have any advice, should I call the embassy? Thanks to everyone in advance :) so ready for the waiting period to be over! At least for this stage 

The IR-1 process is different so I’m not sure of the details but it definitely sounds like an error on the consulate’s end. I would email to clarify ASAP as the 12th is next week!

Timeline
On 1/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, EKT said:

@Vamp.nz did you get your visas and passports back??

Yes got back at a huge courier expense last night at 9pm to find they spelt my name wrong on both kids visas…. Like serious how can you f*%k something like that up?

all a waste of time and money and stress I’ve had to cancel all flights hotels, RV and cats going today as  My partner in NC tested positive to covid and is very unwell. I have to wait it out as I cannot go now and do it all on my own. I just hope he will be okay as he is immune compromised and was already ill prior. Totally gutted and emotionally strung out at this point and hate the incompetence and drama filled delays the embassy caused me, my partner and kids. Time that I will never get back ever. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:37 PM, Vamp.nz said:

Yes got back at a huge courier expense last night at 9pm to find they spelt my name wrong on both kids visas…. Like serious how can you f*%k something like that up?

all a waste of time and money and stress I’ve had to cancel all flights hotels, RV and cats going today as  My partner in NC tested positive to covid and is very unwell. I have to wait it out as I cannot go now and do it all on my own. I just hope he will be okay as he is immune compromised and was already ill prior. Totally gutted and emotionally strung out at this point and hate the incompetence and drama filled delays the embassy caused me, my partner and kids. Time that I will never get back ever. 

That’s absolutely terrible. I hope they can sort it on Monday so you can fly out as soon as possible to be with your partner. 

Timeline
On 1/5/2022 at 5:26 PM, EKT said:

Hey 👋 My husband is applying for an IR-1 (spousal immigrant visa) and we have been living in NZ for over 10 years. We provided evidence of the things you mentioned above as well as shipping quotes, correspondence with real estate agents about listing our house in NZ, emails about job interviews/potential employment in the US (for me, US citizen petitioner), and enrolled our kids in US schools. You can also show that you’re cutting ties to NZ, transferring money to the US and closing bank accounts here, etc. 

His interview is next week so I will update if domicile comes up at all. He’s going to go alone and I understand that typically only the applicant goes for our category. It seems to be the same for K-1s from what I’ve read here.

Thanks for the reply! I don't have yet the additional evidence that you provided. I always found it hard that they would expect that type of advanced commitment to move back (job interviews, etc) when it's not a 100% certainty that the beneficiary will end up getting the visa. I wouldn't move back if my fiance cannot move there with me. I'd stay in NZ to be with her.

Please let me know how things go with the interview!

My husband had his interview this morning and was approved pending his medical results! His appointment was at 8:15, which we were initially a little annoyed about because he had to fly up the night before, but it worked out really well in the end because he was the second person in the door and only waited a few minutes. He had his medical yesterday and they said it would take 2-3 days to process and send through the results so hopefully his visa will be issued next week.

The questions they asked were:

How long have you been married?

Did you have guests from overseas at your wedding?

Do you have kids?

Do you own a house and are you planning to sell when you move?

Where are you going in the US?

We were able to qualify using our assets (property value) and did not need a joint sponsor. He brought the joint sponsor paperwork just in case, but it never came up.

1 hour ago, EKT said:

My husband had his interview this morning and was approved pending his medical results! His appointment was at 8:15, which we were initially a little annoyed about because he had to fly up the night before, but it worked out really well in the end because he was the second person in the door and only waited a few minutes. He had his medical yesterday and they said it would take 2-3 days to process and send through the results so hopefully his visa will be issued next week.

Do you have kids?

We were able to qualify using our assets (property value) and did not need a joint sponsor. He brought the joint sponsor paperwork just in case, but it never came up.

Congrats! and thanks for the update with questions 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, EKT said:

Do you have kids?

Congratulations @EKT! What amazing news! Question for you - on the travel.state.gov website, it says: "It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with one of the doctors listed below at least two (2) weeks before your visa interview" in red under medical exam instructions. 

We just got our interview date, but its much sooner than anticipated and leaves us only like 3 day to get a medical done before the 2 week window closes. I'm not sure what availability is like at citymed, but we're worried its going to be hard to get an appointment pretty much the next day after calling. 

It sounds like your husband had his on the same day? Has this rule changed? Any advice would be super helpful! 

2 hours ago, mcs_2021 said:

Congratulations @EKT! What amazing news! Question for you - on the travel.state.gov website, it says: "It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with one of the doctors listed below at least two (2) weeks before your visa interview" in red under medical exam instructions. 

We just got our interview date, but its much sooner than anticipated and leaves us only like 3 day to get a medical done before the 2 week window closes. I'm not sure what availability is like at citymed, but we're worried its going to be hard to get an appointment pretty much the next day after calling. 

It sounds like your husband had his on the same day? Has this rule changed? Any advice would be super helpful! 

Hey! That's so great you got an interview. They must have caught up with the backlog which bodes well for everyone here still waiting for USCIS/NVC.

I would just call CityMed on Monday and book it as soon as possible. We live in the South Island so asked the consulate if he could do it around the same time as the interview to avoid making 2 trips and they said that was fine but would delay final processing of the visa. It's all electronic and CityMed said to expect 2-3 days wait for the results to be upload to eMed. My husband had the medical on Tuesday (the day before his interview) and CityMed sent through the results on Thursday so it was only 2 days.

If you're in Auckland I would suggest trying to do it at least a week before the interview so that the results are in the system on the interview day to avoid delays. We're planning to move in March or April so there's no rush for us but having the visa means my husband can start negotiating his job transfer.

@mcs_2021 if you update our little google docs tracking sheet with your dates, others will be able to get a sense of DQ to interview wait for Auckland right now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YzUybxu4oaX57nvU42wwKKkTfci3LUaWK59JtN18miI/edit#gid=0

• 2 weeks later...

My husband received his visa today, wooo! There was a one week delay issuing the visa due to having his medical the day before the interview. He had his interview on Jan 12th and the medical report was sent through electronically on the 13th and added to his case on the 14th, then his visa was eventually issued last Friday (21st) along with everyone who was interviewed and approved on 19th.

@mcs_2021 @Sammy.NZ tagging you both as we'd talked about what happens if the medical and interview happen are around the same time :) 

It looks like everyone in our original list who was waiting for the consulate to reopen post lockdown has either had an interview or is scheduled! That's awesome. Wishing everyone well for the next chapter in the US! And quick processing and interviews for those coming down the line from NVC :) 

US Consulate Auckland Post-Lockdown Interview Timeline
        Thread link:  
VJ Name Visa Category DQ by NVC (CR-1/IR-1) Consulate Received Docs Interview Scheduled Interview Date Visa Received Notes
kg_nz IR-1/CR-1   11-Aug-2021 17-Nov-2021 8-Dec-2021 16-Dec-2021 Visa status changed to 'Issued' on December 9; NZ Post's delivery timeline is unreliable - just a warning if you're in a hurry to fly after your interview!
Joshandsarah K1     18-Nov-2021 15-Dec-2021 18-Dec-2021  
MelanieR18 IR-1/CR-1   22-Nov-2021 16-Dec-2021 5-Jan-2022 11-Jan-2022  
rycilla IR-1/CR-1 12-Oct-2021 19-Nov-2021 1-Dec-2021 8-Dec-2021 13-Dec-2021 RFE on Oct 8 (Submitted incorrect police certificate. Wasnt aware of vetting directly to consulate). Interview: Waiting time in lobby was quite long due to covid protocol causing delays. Wear comfy shoes -- we were standing the entire time (including interview)
Vamp.nz K1   15-Nov-2021 10-Dec-2021 15-Dec-2021    
EKT IR-1/CR-1 28-Jul-2021 26-Nov-2021 16-Dec-2021 12-Jan-2022 24-Jan-2022 Original interview letter received Aug 20th 2021 for Sept 15th interview, which was cancelled due to lockdown.
kas & jewel K1   2-Dec-2021 5-Jan-2021 12-Jan-2022    
Jovany&Divya K1   9-Dec-2021 12-Jan-2022 19-Jan-2022    
violetveela K1   8-Dec-2021 13-Jan-2022 26-Jan-2022    

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.