JanessaK

Passport Renewal - Maiden Name?

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Time to renew my Philippine Passport. I have a temporary Green Card with extensions (not the 10 year yet even though I have been here almost 4 years!). I was married in the Philippines, NOT in the USA. Can I just renew my passport under my Maiden Name? Do I still need to do a ROM even though I was marriage in the Philippines?  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated! I think I would prefer to keep it under my Maiden name if that is OK. 

Edited by JanessaK

10 minutes ago, JanessaK said:

Hi All,

Time to renew my Philippine Passport. I have a temporary Green Card with extensions (not the 10 year yet even though I have been here almost 4 years!). I was married in the Philippines, NOT in the USA. Can I just renew my passport under my Maiden Name? Do I still need to do a ROM even though I was marriage in the Philippines?  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated! I think I would prefer to keep it under my Maiden name if that is OK. 

If you want to keep it in your maiden name then you can just do a simple renewal that's it

1 minute ago, JanessaK said:

That seems easy enough! Thanks!! Seems like NYC is backed up for months and Washington DC isn't even taking any appointments for renewals at the moment. Do you happen to know if "outreach" would be the way to go then? I'm afraid my Passport will expire before I get to an appointment.

I heard they are restarting consular outreach. Just keep an eye on the FB page or website of the consulate that has jurisdiction over your state.

Another tip, though: try checking the consular appointment tool every day around 9:00. If you don't get an appointment slot, try again in intervals of 10 minutes: https://philippineembassy-usa.org/appointments/

I got my appointment slot after two weeks of daily checking. All the appointment slots were filled but one magically opened up when I randomly opened the tool on a Sunday morning.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, JanessaK said:

That seems easy enough! Thanks!! Seems like NYC is backed up for months and Washington DC isn't even taking any appointments for renewals at the moment. Do you happen to know if "outreach" would be the way to go then? I'm afraid my Passport will expire before I get to an appointment.

My wife’s passport expired in June 2020 and we couldn’t do anything because everything was shut down. Trying to get a slot for these outreaches is ridiculous. So we are flying to Washington, D.C. to get it renewed. We logged on Monday morning at 9:00am and got the first available slot. We got it on the first try. Good luck! So yeah Washington DC is taking appointments. We were able to make ours a week ago for August. 

Edited by Zach2015

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, JanessaK said:

Hi All,

You were married in the Philippines, thus NO reason to complete ROM.   Your marriage is already recorded at PSA.    ;)  

You did not renew your passport in your married name after your marriage?  So the I-130 was completed in your maiden name?    hmmm ...

You should renew your passport in your married name.  Being you were married in the Philippines you should already have a PSA copy of your marriage certificate (they may ask for a new copy), so renewing your passport in your married name should be extremely easy.

Is your green card in your married or maiden name?     

One last comment.  IF you have been an LPR for 3 years or more you can file for naturalization (citizenship) NOW!   If your 10 year green card has not been completed yet include a copy of your I-797 (Notice of Action) with your Naturalization application.   USCIS will process both together.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You were married in the Philippines, thus NO reason to complete ROM.   Your marriage is already recorded at PSA.    ;)  

You did not renew your passport in your married name after your marriage?  So the I-130 was completed in your maiden name?    hmmm ...

You should renew your passport in your married name.  Being you were married in the Philippines you should already have a PSA copy of your marriage certificate (they may ask for a new copy), so renewing your passport in your married name should be extremely easy.

Is your green card in your married or maiden name?     

One last comment.  IF you have been an LPR for 3 years or more you can file for naturalization (citizenship) NOW!   If your 10 year green card has not been completed yet include a copy of your I-797 (Notice of Action) with your Naturalization application.   USCIS will process both together.

Hello @Hank_, I am thinking that @JanessaK kept everything (I-130, green card, etc) in her maiden name based on her comment "I think I would prefer to keep it under my Maiden name if that is OK."

I did the same (kept maiden name across all PH and US documents even after marriage). Of course Janessa can do differently, whichever way she prefers.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Hello @Hank_, I am thinking that @JanessaK kept everything (I-130, green card, etc) in her maiden name based on her comment "I think I would prefer to keep it under my Maiden name if that is OK."

I did the same (kept maiden name across all PH and US documents even after marriage). Of course Janessa can do differently, whichever way she prefers.

Yes she can choose to keep everything in her maiden name.    With her marriage already recorded at PSA and the Philippines obsession with traditional naming formats  .... it could have its pitfalls down the road.  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

16 hours ago, JanessaK said:

Can I just renew my passport under my Maiden Name? Do I still need to do a ROM even though I was marriage in the Philippines?

No need for ROM if you were married in the Philippines.  Yes, you may renew your passport under your maiden name.  I did that just recently.  No questions asked even if my passport application form clearly stated that I'm married.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.