Phil and Serena

Shipping Belongings to USA

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I moved to the US in the middle of pandemic last year.

I checked with different international shipping, airline excess baggage fee (per piece, and size). Then I figured out the best way was to use the Post Office in my origin. I sent two boxes of parcel by air mail on express courier (by Post Office). Each size is larger than the allowed baggage size by airlines. I posted them 3 days before my departure and they arrived around 5 days after I landed. Everything went well.

I also posted a number of parcels of belongings by surface (sea) mail. Those took a few months to arrive and they were delivered to my door at different dates although I posted them together in the same go.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 7/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, flicks1998 said:

I work in Global Mobility moving expats around the world and part of that is working with vendors who do household good shipments.  Try to do everything you can to make use of the excess luggage offered by the airline.  Container prices are absolutely outrageous right now and will not get better for at least another year or so.  If travel becomes easier between the US and UK, it may make sense for you to fly over there and use your excess luggage if your spouse maxes out theirs.  It will still be cheaper than a container or partial container.  The entire shipping industry is in a mess with containers scattered all over the world due to COVID, the ship stuck in the Suez, packing materials through the roof, etc etc.  Now is really not the time to ship anything by sea or air freight unless you have a company paying for it. 

And just to add, there are alot of nightmare shipping companies out there.  If you do not know what your doing, you can easily get ripped off.  You may get quoted a cheap price on the front end, but on day of delivery in the US, you will receive some ridiculous quote before they can deliver.  If you want names of reputable companies, I can send to you, but as I said above, try to use excess luggage.

which companies are good as I have around 30 boxes to ship mainly books and clothes that are too bulky for my suitcases etc. shipping from UK (Eastbourne) to Orlando Florida? I will also be taking 3 suitcases on the plane so excess baggage already being used

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.