JobbinsKnobbins

US Embassy in Paris K1/CR1

211 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 8/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, neto-66 said:

You must pay the fee before your interview. You pay the fee on the online portal by creating an "application" on the Immigrant Visa section. You are not able to lock in your appointment until AFTER you pay the fee -- if you were to call the Embassy right now, they would say that they cannot see your interview date.

We have not had our interview yet, but we were originally scheduled for June and rescheduled for October due to missing the appointment. You should continue by selecting the answers that apply to you, pay the fee, and select the pre-populated interview date given to you. You will know you are done when your home page shows your appointment and says "Current Status: Appointment"

Yes. You should call and schedule an appointment as soon as possible, as they often book a month or so in advance.

Yes!

Hey Neto, 

I see Portugal in your profile, I wonder if after we (portuguese applicants) receive the embassy letter with an interview date, we still need to register online booking the interview date? 

Shouldn't the embassy letter be enough to have our interview date secured?

Thank you so much, 

Diana 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline
33 minutes ago, dianacorreia said:

I wonder if after we (portuguese applicants) receive the embassy letter with an interview date, we still need to register online booking the interview date? 

Yes, you NEED to go online, register, and pay the fee in order to lock in your interview date.

34 minutes ago, dianacorreia said:

Shouldn't the embassy letter be enough to have our interview date secured?

I am unsure of what happens if you wait a long time to complete the steps in the online portal, but I do know that you need to pay the fee and complete all of the steps. If you do not do this and you call the embassy, they will not see your interview in the system, nor will they see it if you show up on the day of.

Timeline
1 hour ago, neto-66 said:

Yes, you NEED to go online, register, and pay the fee in order to lock in your interview date.

I am unsure of what happens if you wait a long time to complete the steps in the online portal, but I do know that you need to pay the fee and complete all of the steps. If you do not do this and you call the embassy, they will not see your interview in the system, nor will they see it if you show up on the day of.

Neto, 

Thank you for the fast response, much appreciated. 

We have not received an interview date yet (nor any info from the embassy) // NVC sent us an email on December 21st. 

From what I have been reading, I should probably expect a long wait ughhh

Is everything sorted out with you? Do you have the visa in your passport yet? I HOPE SO! 

Edited by dianacorreia

Timeline
38 minutes ago, dianacorreia said:

Is everything sorted out with you? Do you have the visa in your passport yet? I HOPE SO! 

Yes! My now husband had his interview on the 20th of October. He received his passport with the visa on the 2nd of November, and entered the US 3 days later. We got married on the 27th of November. You can see our timeline and my husband's review of his interview experience here: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=369614

I recommend that you fill out your timeline too -- it really helps those behind you get an idea for what their timeline might be, and it helps for when you would like input on your situation!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 1/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, dianacorreia said:

Hey, 

Thank you for sharing your sitiuation and the overall timeline, it really helps. 

Can I ask, was this email an automated email? Is it standard or you got that info by exchanging emails with the staff? 

Ty, 

Diana 

Hi Diana,

Sorry for the delayed response.
I wasn't exchanging emails with the embassy. They simply sent an email informing me that the package was leaving their office on that same day and I should receive it within the coming three days. They also gave me the tracking number which was really helpful since the people at the embassy didn't write the correct address on my envelope. But some days later and after some calls to Chronopost in France and DPD I received the envelope at the correct address.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Catarina&Brendan said:

Hi Diana,

Sorry for the delayed response.
I wasn't exchanging emails with the embassy. They simply sent an email informing me that the package was leaving their office on that same day and I should receive it within the coming three days. They also gave me the tracking number which was really helpful since the people at the embassy didn't write the correct address on my envelope. But some days later and after some calls to Chronopost in France and DPD I received the envelope at the correct address.

Hey Catarina, 

Thank you for the reply // do you happen to know if the "start date" of the visa starts once you pass the interview or starts on the date the visa is issued? 

Let's say I have the interview one day and only receive my passport 2 months later, does the visa start just before they send out the passport or on the day of that passed interview? 

Thank you so much // if anyone else knows the answer to do this, I'd really appreciate it 

Trying to have an accurate estimate of those 6 months the visa is actually valid and that we need to enter the USA

Timeline
5 minutes ago, dianacorreia said:

Hey Catarina, 

Thank you for the reply // do you happen to know if the "start date" of the visa starts once you pass the interview or starts on the date the visa is issued? 

Let's say I have the interview one day and only receive my passport 2 months later, does the visa start just before they send out the passport or on the day of that passed interview? 

Thank you so much // if anyone else knows the answer to do this, I'd really appreciate it 

Trying to have an accurate estimate of those 6 months the visa is actually valid and that we need to enter the USA

Only from the date the visa is issued. Mine should come today or tomorrow, as I got an email from the embassy with a tracking number. I don't see a reason yours would take 2 months to reach you, now that covid shutdowns are behind you. 🙂

Timeline
20 minutes ago, ritac23 said:

Only from the date the visa is issued. Mine should come today or tomorrow, as I got an email from the embassy with a tracking number. I don't see a reason yours would take 2 months to reach you, now that covid shutdowns are behind you. 🙂

Perfect! So Rita, you had your interview back in November, but your 6 months will only start now right? and YAYY it was sooner than you initially thought, I'm really glad and happy for youuu :) 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, dianacorreia said:

Perfect! So Rita, you had your interview back in November, but your 6 months will only start now right? and YAYY it was sooner than you initially thought, I'm really glad and happy for youuu :) 

Thank you! It actually just came in the mail and the visa only expires in June, so 6 months from when it was issued (early January).

Timeline
20 minutes ago, ritac23 said:

Thank you! It actually just came in the mail and the visa only expires in June, so 6 months from when it was issued (early January).

And have you received your medical envelope yet? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, dianacorreia said:

And have you received your medical envelope yet? 

You don't get a medical envelope. They don't even tell you the results of the exams. They send the results to Paris and then you'll be able to pick up your X-Rays from the clinic (you have to carry those with you and show them at immigration in the US). But that's it (they only issue the visa AFTER getting the medical results).

Timeline
6 hours ago, ritac23 said:

Just to clarify since this seems to be a discussion in the thread right now, the visa expires 6 months from your MEDICAL EXAM, as the results are only valid for 6 months. In my husband's case, he had his medical exam in June and his interview in October. Because of this, his K-1 visa was only valid for entry until December. Typically applicants have a short period of time between their medical exam and interview, but be aware that the medical exam date is what determines the validity.

Timeline
55 minutes ago, ritac23 said:

You don't get a medical envelope. They don't even tell you the results of the exams. They send the results to Paris and then you'll be able to pick up your X-Rays from the clinic (you have to carry those with you and show them at immigration in the US). But that's it (they only issue the visa AFTER getting the medical results).

Ohh okay, in that case what we carry with us to the port of entry are just the x-rays then... 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
8 hours ago, ritac23 said:

The "start date" is the date your visa is issued.
Actually, the day my visa was issued was also the day the embassy informed me that the package was leaving their office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.