Joe Kano

Filipina murdered on Sunday in North Dakota

11 posts in this topic

Did anyone know the young lady, she was married to a guy in Texas, they divorced she moved to North Dakota and her live in partner killed her on Sunday.

Very sad so far this is the only article I can find:  While it doesn't refer to her specifically it has to be the pinay they are referring to.  She leaves behind a young child

Minot Man Arrested After Chase in Fatal Shooting of Woman | North Dakota News | US News

As much as we try to warn people to really know their partner, sometimes the lure of a new life is just too enticing.  I wish this wasn't as common as it is.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

21 hours ago, John & Rose said:

As much as we try to warn people to really know their partner, sometimes the lure of a new life is just too enticing.  I wish this wasn't as common as it is.

My question is why did she leave her first husband?  I suspect age gap but I never met her, she was known by a few of the girls in our Fil Am group.

I suspect she went looking for greener pastures and things went dangerously wrong.

I did find a small update, I hope they have the death penalty in North Dakota

Minot man charged with murder following Sunday evening incident (kfyrtv.com)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's cases like this one that created the over reaching restrictions for Filipinos who wish to travel abroad in Visa Free countries.. They lost their right to travel freely, all because of heartless scumbags like this guy.

6 hours ago, nykolos said:

It's cases like this one that created the over reaching restrictions for Filipinos who wish to travel abroad in Visa Free countries.. They lost their right to travel freely, all because of heartless scumbags like this guy.

Things like this are really common with OFWs going to other Asian countries as well as the Middle East.  The murders make the news, but the extensive abuse by employers rarely does.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

3 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Things like this are really common with OFWs going to other Asian countries as well as the Middle East.  The murders make the news, but the extensive abuse by employers rarely does.  

I have heard they beat them, keep them like slaves and work them to death as domestic helpers in Middle East.

What Asian country is abusive? China?

1 minute ago, Joe Kano said:

I have heard they beat them, keep them like slaves and work them to death as domestic helpers in Middle East.

What Asian country is abusive? China?

China would be one, but also Singapore and Hong Kong.  The OFWs that are domestic helpers (DHs) are particularly at risk.  Most do not want to be assigned to a Chinese family as the most abuse comes from them.  Not always physical abuse, but emotional abuse and very long working hours.  Many DHs try to get a Western family as its the Western family that tends to treat them as humans.  Salary as a DH in Hong Kong is around 25-27K PHP a month and they are supposed to have one day off a week.  However, many Chinese employers (families) will only allow 1 day off a month.  This is against the contract but contract enforcement is weak to nonexistent.  Many of the Filipinos in Hong Kong are more in the "blue-collar" line of work (DHs, drivers, etc).  A DH in 2013 or 2014, filed a lawsuit against the HK government that OFWs should have the same rights as every other foreigner working in HK and that after 7 years of living in the country, you can apply for Permanent Residence.  This OFW won through all of the courts and then the HK people started panicking as they thought eventually Hong Kong would be overrun by Filipinos, Indonesians, etc.  The case was appealed to the High Court (same the US Supreme Court) and was overturned and OFWs are not allowed to get PR status after 7 years.  The High Court said since OFWs dont pay taxes in Hong Kong, they are not entitled to this benefit.  

In Singapore, you have more "white-collar" OFWs and there is a little less of a problem but it still exists.  There are still many abusive Chinese and Indian families.  Although there are DHs in Singapore from the Philippines, the majority come from Indonesia, India, Myanmar, etc.  The government in Singapore still puts additional rules on Filipino DH's though.  A family that wants to higher a Filipino DH (and many do because of the English language) have to pay a 5,000 SGD deposit to the government.  If the DH causes any trouble (becomes pregnant, breaks any laws), they have to be sent home and the hiring family loses the 5,000 SGD.  The "white collar" job OFWs (office workers etc) this does not apply and almost all employers treat them fairly.  However its the Filipino government that can cause them problems as well as everytime they want to fly back to the Philippines, they need to go online and apply and pay for a waiver so when they come back to Singapore, they are not stopped at PI immigration.  I had Filipinos on my team in Singapore that would fly home once or twice a month and it was a hassle on the steps they had to follow.  Singapore has ALOT of Filipinos working in offices whereas in Hong Kong there are very few. 

As I learned more about these processes and talked to more and more OFWS, the one thing that surprised me the most was for many of the DHs, not only are they facing abuse from their employers, but they are also facing abuse from their own families back in the Philippines.  Many families bet the farm on their OFW DH and the demands and pressure are suffocating.  Since many DHs can only go home once every two years to see family, many end up sending money every month but then get home and realize the money has been abused by family members.  During my time in Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post did a research article on Filipino OFWs working in Hong Kong, and found that almost 75% of OFWs that came to Hong Kong to work, were in more debt when their employment ended than when they first arrived.  Hence, the unreasonable expectations put on them by their families.  Also, the new laws by Duterte to increase OFWs contributions to SSS has not helped as well. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

30 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

China would be one, but also Singapore and Hong Kong.  The OFWs that are domestic helpers (DHs) are particularly at risk.  Most do not want to be assigned to a Chinese family as the most abuse comes from them.  Not always physical abuse, but emotional abuse and very long working hours.  Many DHs try to get a Western family as its the Western family that tends to treat them as humans.  Salary as a DH in Hong Kong is around 25-27K PHP a month and they are supposed to have one day off a week.  However, many Chinese employers (families) will only allow 1 day off a month.  This is against the contract but contract enforcement is weak to nonexistent.  Many of the Filipinos in Hong Kong are more in the "blue-collar" line of work (DHs, drivers, etc).  A DH in 2013 or 2014, filed a lawsuit against the HK government that OFWs should have the same rights as every other foreigner working in HK and that after 7 years of living in the country, you can apply for Permanent Residence.  This OFW won through all of the courts and then the HK people started panicking as they thought eventually Hong Kong would be overrun by Filipinos, Indonesians, etc.  The case was appealed to the High Court (same the US Supreme Court) and was overturned and OFWs are not allowed to get PR status after 7 years.  The High Court said since OFWs dont pay taxes in Hong Kong, they are not entitled to this benefit.  

In Singapore, you have more "white-collar" OFWs and there is a little less of a problem but it still exists.  There are still many abusive Chinese and Indian families.  Although there are DHs in Singapore from the Philippines, the majority come from Indonesia, India, Myanmar, etc.  The government in Singapore still puts additional rules on Filipino DH's though.  A family that wants to higher a Filipino DH (and many do because of the English language) have to pay a 5,000 SGD deposit to the government.  If the DH causes any trouble (becomes pregnant, breaks any laws), they have to be sent home and the hiring family loses the 5,000 SGD.  The "white collar" job OFWs (office workers etc) this does not apply and almost all employers treat them fairly.  However its the Filipino government that can cause them problems as well as everytime they want to fly back to the Philippines, they need to go online and apply and pay for a waiver so when they come back to Singapore, they are not stopped at PI immigration.  I had Filipinos on my team in Singapore that would fly home once or twice a month and it was a hassle on the steps they had to follow.  Singapore has ALOT of Filipinos working in offices whereas in Hong Kong there are very few. 

As I learned more about these processes and talked to more and more OFWS, the one thing that surprised me the most was for many of the DHs, not only are they facing abuse from their employers, but they are also facing abuse from their own families back in the Philippines.  Many families bet the farm on their OFW DH and the demands and pressure are suffocating.  Since many DHs can only go home once every two years to see family, many end up sending money every month but then get home and realize the money has been abused by family members.  During my time in Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post did a research article on Filipino OFWs working in Hong Kong, and found that almost 75% of OFWs that came to Hong Kong to work, were in more debt when their employment ended than when they first arrived.  Hence, the unreasonable expectations put on them by their families.  Also, the new laws by Duterte to increase OFWs contributions to SSS has not helped as well. 

Excellent Post, I learned a lot.  Thanks 👍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.