one...two...tree

Parking Rights...

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I were trying to park our car in a crowded downtown lot. The line of cars trying to get in wrapped around the block. Each car in line had to circle around until someone left because no parking spaces were available.

When we finally got to drive in, we drove to the only open spot. However, a woman had jumped out of a car that was still on the street and was standing in the spot to save it for her companion. My husband lowered the window and reminded her that because she did not have a vehicle, she was blocking traffic. She angrily told him that her car was "just around the corner" and threatened to call the cops if we didn't keep driving. My husband didn't raise his voice. He once again asked her to move because she had cut in line.

Finally, after she began to go into a tirade, we gave up and circled for another 10 minutes until another spot opened. Was my husband out of line for asking her to move? What would you have done in that situation? -- UNSURE OF THE RULES, BEASLEY, TEXAS

I actually would side with the woman holding the spot. People do this all the time - have somebody hold their spot when waiting in line.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think the woman was rude and immature. She should have left a little earlier if she needed to be ahead of everyone else. The people in the vehicle were there first, they'd done their share of waiting, the woman should have sat in her own car and waited. It makes me MAD when people think they should get special treatment, even if it is just a stinking parking place.

If I had been the man, I would have probably raised my voice. Hopefully the next person in line gave her an earful.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I actually would side with the woman holding the spot. People do this all the time - have somebody hold their spot when waiting in line.

Usually when someone has them hold their spot in line they've already been there and had to leave for some reason. I don't think it's right to have someone hold your spot when you're a mile down the road. :angry:

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

I would have taken the parking spot anywho tell her to go fly a kite. lol So what if she called the cops she didn't have a car lol.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never heard of a situation like that. I've sure never experienced anything similar.

I'd find somewhere else to park and walk. Forget driving around in circles!!

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

I've never heard of a situation like that. I've sure never experienced anything similar.

I'd find somewhere else to park and walk. Forget driving around in circles!!

exactly. It reminds me of those people who block the lanes waiting for a close spot. The lazy bastards could probably use the exercise.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

that kind of situation has been so rare in my lifetime that i would keep on driving and look for a new spot if i saw someone standing in a space on purpose. its not worth fighting over...although inside i would want to tell them to get out of the way! lol

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Usually when someone has them hold their spot in line they've already been there and had to leave for some reason. I don't think it's right to have someone hold your spot when you're a mile down the road. :angry:

I had a similar situation. We have been driving up and down the aisles of parking spaces at a mall hoping to have the right timing when someone left. After missing out on several parking spots because of random chance, I decided to get out of the car and stand in an open spot while my girlfriend at the time would park the car. She was only an aisle away when I quickly stood in an open spot and waited for her. I waved off one car that was in front of her and the driver didn't argue. I was technically there first so I should get the space. It may seem crude but we were going to miss the show if we didn't park the car soon.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I've never experienced anyone standing in parking spots to save them, though I don't think it sounds very right to do. The most annoying parking experiences I had were in college, having no where to park and having to stalk people walking to their cars so you can get their spot when they leave.

The story reminded me of something in Walmart recently. The lines were very long and I was with my mom, we each had our own carts and were behind each other. We were already waiting about 5 mins with a lady in front of us with a full cart(and there were carts in line in front of her and behind us), when she let her daughter cut in line and said she was "Saving" the spot for her. By the way, the daughter cut in with a huge cart of groceries too, not just like one thing. Me and my mom were very annoyed but didn't say anything. Sorry, if you daughter was still shopping and you were done, you don't just go and save a spot for them and let them cut everyone who was waiting. My mom said she wished she had some of her New York attitude left so that she could have said no cutting to the lady. :P

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline

I wouldn't. First come WITH A CAR, first served. No holdsies; I hate that sh!t. I'd have just inched into the space slowly while she backed out of it.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wouldn't. First come WITH A CAR, first served. No holdsies; I hate that sh!t. I'd have just inched into the space slowly while she backed out of it.

see, there is a purpose for a SUV :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I hate people who crowd into lines, I would have ran over her :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne