2,965 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey! I was wondering if you know whether the person who was an abuser in a vawa petition can sponsor a new spouse?

My ex's mom just told me that my ex is marrying a woman from Brazil and I was shocked and feeling bad for that woman. My friends tried to warn her but she blocked them :( My ex is really crazy, he was in jail for 3 years and I don't want her to go through what I had to go through. Will USCIS send her some kind of warning if he applies for her?

Filed: Other Timeline
2 hours ago, Rambo4447 said:

Not waiting for interview. Still waiting on i-360 approval. But I live in Miami as well. How long have you been waiting so far? Also give me an update when you get interview. 

November 2019 filler here. Still waiting for the I360 approval.

1 hour ago, lolaB998 said:

Hey! I was wondering if you know whether the person who was an abuser in a vawa petition can sponsor a new spouse?

My ex's mom just told me that my ex is marrying a woman from Brazil and I was shocked and feeling bad for that woman. My friends tried to warn her but she blocked them :( My ex is really crazy, he was in jail for 3 years and I don't want her to go through what I had to go through. Will USCIS send her some kind of warning if he applies for her?

The department of State have an awareness Pamphlet of Rights and protections for Foreign-Citizen Fiancé(e)s and Spouses of U.S. Citizens and Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents regarding abuse, some consulate aboard handle this pamphlet in the consulate interview, but must people do not pay attention to it for the excitement they will be travelling to USA. At this point nothing you can do, and I recommend to focused on your peace and let everything go regarding ex abuser. 

17 hours ago, lolaB998 said:

Yeah they can. Only thing that really limits a USC's right to petition for a relative is a conviction for a "specified offense against a minor" under the Adam Walsh Act. You and others tried to warn her but at the end of the day you can't stop someone who really wants to shoot themself in the foot.

At the same time you kinda have to remember that VAWA is not a criminal process and honestly it's barely a civil process either. The abuser is not a party to the proceedings, and in fact is not even allowed to know about them, so restricting their right to petition if you win your VAWA case would be a pretty glaring violation of their 5th (due process) and 6th (right to confront your accuser) amendment rights.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/14/2021 at 2:54 AM, Happyhappy2020 said:

Hi Sandra, is it normal for IO to do the yes/no portion of interview for i485 when you go in to request for an abeyance and it's granted?

I saw USCIS doing this a few times.

Timeline
On 7/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, Happyhappy2020 said:

@sandraj I had a very weird/interesting at the interview. I always thought the local officer is not supposed to ask you anything about the abuse, divorce, separation but this one asked me all these tthings?! The I360 is still being adjudicated so when I asked for an abeyance , she started asking about the abuse and then asked the yes/no questions. When I asked in a nice way if we are going to do the interview again after the I360 is approved she said she's doing the questions now so I won't have to come back after the I360 is approved.

Sandra, is this normal? Can she really have me skip the interview since we did the yes/no questions now?

Probably you won't have interview considering  that she interviewed you already.

Timeline
19 hours ago, lolaB998 said:

Yes he can sponsor, but the U.S consulate if they know about it then they can give her  a hard time to obtain the visa, considering the abuse inflicted upon another person.You can inform the U.S Consulate if you want ok.

3 hours ago, sandranj said:

Probably you won't have interview considering  that she interviewed you already.

Ok when she did the yes/no questions with me, she never questioned my answers. Is that a good sign ? 

3 hours ago, sandranj said:

I saw USCIS doing this a few times.

Is it normal for the IO to ask about the abuse?

I got my vawa approved in april. Just got notice that i have an appointment to get biometrics next week. I got this done before. Assuming this is a good sign? Anyone know what this means?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, saraa88 said:

I got my vawa approved in april. Just got notice that i have an appointment to get biometrics next week. I got this done before. Assuming this is a good sign? Anyone know what this means?

It can be anything.

(1) it can be FBI background check 

(2) it can be a very good sign especially if you have already sent in your medical and the fingerprint is under I-485

(3) it can be just to update your fingerprint for EAD renewal 

good luck 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.