2,965 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, Aster7 said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank you all for this forum and all the work, help, support you offer. Finding this forum has helped me a lot in very hard times. Thank you!

I hope you can help me with recommendations for a good therapist or psychologist for my psychological evaluation. I reside in New York State.  

At the moment, I feel very wary of therapy. I had a very bad experience with a therapy center based in NYC. For 2 months, I was passed  from one therapist to another for each session, with each different therapist not even bothering to read the notes from the previous session/therapist before talking to me. It seems like they just wanted just the money but did not care at all about helping people in need of emotional / mental help. In the end, I feel like I was scammed, and feel way worse than when I started. Now, I feel almost scared to reach out to a therapist or a psychologist again, but I know I need a good evaluation to submit my petition. Could you recommend anyone?  I would really appreciate your help.

Have a great day!

Hello guys, 

I am really sorry for bothering you again, but this forum is so busy that it is possible my post was not seen by many people. I am feeling very lost, for a lot of reasons.... If any of you could help with a recommendation for the psychological evaluation, I would really appreciate it. At the moment, I really don't know what to do. 

If asking again is completely inopportune or violates the forum rules, please let me know. I will not do it again. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Aster7 said:

Hello guys, 

I am really sorry for bothering you again, but this forum is so busy that it is possible my post was not seen by many people. I am feeling very lost, for a lot of reasons.... If any of you could help with a recommendation for the psychological evaluation, I would really appreciate it. At the moment, I really don't know what to do. 

If asking again is completely inopportune or violates the forum rules, please let me know. I will not do it again. Thank you!

I suggest you request from a lawyer that specializes in Vawa and have them recommend a psychologist. Not all psych Eval are appropriate for the case.

my 2 cents ☺️

Edited by BollyB

4 minutes ago, BollyB said:

I suggest you request from a lawyer that specializes in Vawa and have them recommend a psychologist. Not all psych Eval are appropriate for the case.

my 2 cents ☺️

Thank you so much for the reply! I am working on my petition myself as I cannot really afford a lawyer, that is why. I have tried to contact some pro-bono organizations but did not have much luck. It is like a vicious circle of referrals, from one place to another.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
On 10/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, Aster7 said:

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to thank you all for this forum and all the work, help, support you offer. Finding this forum has helped me a lot in very hard times. Thank you!

I hope you can help me with recommendations for a good therapist or psychologist for my psychological evaluation. I reside in New York State.  

At the moment, I feel very wary of therapy. I had a very bad experience with a therapy center based in NYC. For 2 months, I was passed  from one therapist to another for each session, with each different therapist not even bothering to read the notes from the previous session/therapist before talking to me. It seems like they just wanted just the money but did not care at all about helping people in need of emotional / mental help. In the end, I feel like I was scammed, and feel way worse than when I started. Now, I feel almost scared to reach out to a therapist or a psychologist again, but I know I need a good evaluation to submit my petition. Could you recommend anyone?  I would really appreciate your help.

Have a great day!

Try Googling VAWA psychologist around you and go for the ones with best rating. Also members here can recommend who worked best for them. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, sandranj said:

You need a GREAT psychological evaluation done and not just psychological  tests such as BAI  and BDI. Make sure the psychologist will mention all abuse that  you suffered, a generic evaluation won't help your VAWA case. He/she needs to be licensed as a psychologist  in your State.

Aster7, the above from Sandra is great advice.

A bunch of participants in this thread are from NYC; perhaps they can recommend someone.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

10 hours ago, Hope21 said:

Yep they updated their system and saying we received your respond and we are working on it  also I just got email from congressman they got answer from uscis they are saying security check I really confused

You know how they make you take biometrics? Those get sent to the FBI, who then does a background check on you, send whatever comes up (including nothing at all) to USCIS, which then can proceed forward or demand a waiver from you.

I'm not sure if congressional inquiries can ask the FBI regarding what's the hold up (since that might fall under matters of national security), but hey no harm in asking your congressman.

Other than that, hold due to waiting on the background check is basically business as usual and there's no cause for concern unless you've escaped justice elsewhere.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

13 minutes ago, Demise said:

You know how they make you take biometrics? Those get sent to the FBI, who then does a background check on you, send whatever comes up (including nothing at all) to USCIS, which then can proceed forward or demand a waiver from you.

I'm not sure if congressional inquiries can ask the FBI regarding what's the hold up (since that might fall under matters of national security), but hey no harm in asking your congressman.

Other than that, hold due to waiting on the background check is basically business as usual and there's no cause for concern unless you've escaped justice elsewhere.

They issued my first biometric which is I applied with my spouse like 4 years ago.. they didn’t ask new might be they are going to ask biometric when I got approval and apply for 485 again 

Just now, Hope21 said:

They issued my first biometric which is I applied with my spouse like 4 years ago.. they didn’t ask new might be they are going to ask biometric when I got approval and apply for 485 again 

They can still re-use old stuff with I-360 because fingerprints and general appearance short of some serious accident don't change. They've been really lenient about how long these stay valid for due to the pandemic.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

2 minutes ago, Demise said:

They can still re-use old stuff with I-360 because fingerprints and general appearance short of some serious accident don't change. They've been really lenient about how long these stay valid for due to the pandemic.

That’s must be true but I am seeing here people posting about 18 months who knows how long they can use it .. why  background check forever processing 2 -5 months what they are saying or they just looked my file and start to background check :) after 2 years 

10 hours ago, Apple90 said:

How can I get divorce from my spouse without getting my spouse signature my spouse not cooperative and keep manipulating me to not sign the divorce papers 

My attorney explained to me that in some states (I think where there are "no fault" grounds for divorce), it is enough that one party requests divorcing... Good luck!

15 hours ago, Aster7 said:

Hello guys, 

This has been a tricky question for me too! I have started a therapy back in February and applied for VAWA mid-April. At that point, I sent a letter written by my therapist (a NYC licensed therapist with PhD, specializing in Clinical Pyschiatry with expertise in the psychological effects of trauma and family abuse), but now I understand that a "psychological evaluation" would be the expected format for VAWA. I have googled this and called a psychologist who offers such service, but it seems the regular cost to it is around $1500...! So I would also welcome recommandations of good (and cheaper) psychologists, preferably in NYC, and all possible concrete and practical advice on what is a "great" psychological evaluation.

Good luck to you and thanks in advance to all of you who will inform us!

Edited by SilverLining2

22 hours ago, FeDaniela said:

it is not a final decision. If you read the complete email you if an appoiment is reschedule or a decision is made. Do Not worry NY is sending RFE for medicals for VAwa applicants this day hope is your case. 

Yes, hoping so too. Can’t wait for this journey to end 🙏 Thank you, @FeDaniela

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.