2,965 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Hope4me said:

Hello Demise,

My combo card expires in March 2022. I am taking the proactive step of sending in the renewal now. 

Please can you confirm if I have to pay the $410 renewal fee? Also, should I apply for the AP at this

time too?

Regards.

Depends on whether you paid the I-485 filing fee.

If you paid it the I-765 and I-131 renewals are free. If you got a fee waiver for the I-485 you'll either have to pay the filing fee or get another fee waiver.

Also one thing to note: once you get a receipt notice for the I-765 your EAD is automatically extended for 180 days. Note that this does not extend the AP, so don't try to travel if you end up in a situation where your card expired (or it's about to) and the new one hasn't been approved yet.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
31 minutes ago, SilverLining2 said:

You don't have to pay if you have paid for the I-465! And yes, apply for AP too (I-131)! :) Processing times are much longer than usual, you will probably need the automatic 6-month extension period (see Receipt notice of your current I-765, our category is eligible).

I paid for the I-485. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Demise said:

Depends on whether you paid the I-485 filing fee.

If you paid it the I-765 and I-131 renewals are free. If you got a fee waiver for the I-485 you'll either have to pay the filing fee or get another fee waiver.

Also one thing to note: once you get a receipt notice for the I-765 your EAD is automatically extended for 180 days. Note that this does not extend the AP, so don't try to travel if you end up in a situation where your card expired and the new one hasn't been approved yet.

I paid for the I-485. Thanks for the heads up.

4 minutes ago, balo101 said:

mine is expiring in April 2020. and i sent mine on this Monday.

It would be free if you have paid for I-485. 

I paid for the I-485. Thanks.

9 hours ago, AJJU said:

Hello Family ....

I have been in India since 7 months now the travel restrictions have made things so difficult i couldn't even a ticket based on EAD and Travel Document my i485 is still in the field office. Even got vaccinated  also RTPCR. They say i won't be allowed in as am not LPR or USC not even H1B or B1. 

Don't know what to do not sure if they will let me in PLEASE HELP.

God Bless You.

If you have a valid Advance Parole they should let you board the plane . Also I would advise you to schedule a zoom consultation with your lawyer or any immigration lawyer that might give you a better answer . 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good day everyone,  I’m just about to start my Vawa process I’m waiting for some few documents to be ready before I send in my application & I’ve also hired an attorney . I didn’t attend my AOS interview this week  but my lawyer sent a letter to the immigration to keep my i-485 In abeyance.

Based on my previous C09 I have only received my AP letter but my EAD & SSN is still pending, is it possible for me to get my EAD before my Vawa case is approved based on my C09. I’ll appreciate any information 

59 minutes ago, NB West said:

Good day everyone,  I’m just about to start my Vawa process I’m waiting for some few documents to be ready before I send in my application & I’ve also hired an attorney . I didn’t attend my AOS interview this week  but my lawyer sent a letter to the immigration to keep my i-485 In abeyance.

Based on my previous C09 I have only received my AP letter but my EAD & SSN is still pending, is it possible for me to get my EAD before my Vawa case is approved based on my C09. I’ll appreciate any information 

Yes. C09 I-765 (EAD application) only requires that I-485 be pending (which itself requires a pending or approved immigrant petition) and nothing else.

Edited by Demise

Hello everyone ! 
i sent my i-360 package February 2018 and iam still waiting ! They sent me RFE May 2021 and my lawyer sent our response to them 70 days ago ! They never updated their system that they received my response ! And i need to travel for family emergency to my home country ! Now Iam scared i don’t know what to do ? Should i travel or no !?  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Fishy89 said:

Hello everyone ! 
i sent my i-360 package February 2018 and iam still waiting ! They sent me RFE May 2021 and my lawyer sent our response to them 70 days ago ! They never updated their system that they received my response ! And i need to travel for family emergency to my home country ! Now Iam scared i don’t know what to do ? Should i travel or no !?  

What was the RFE ? November 2018 here, Boston still waiting as well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is still Wednesday in one time zone, enabling time to present our Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

===================================

THREE ANIMALS GO TO HEAVEN

Three house pets -- a golden retriever, a parakeet, and a cat -- all die and go to heaven.  As with all the good animals, God decides to have a personal discussion with each one to see where they will stay in heaven.

God turns to the dog and says, "The Book of Life indicates that you have been a very good boy.  But tell me, in your own words, what are your ultimate principles?  What do you believe in?"

The dog says, "I believe in loyalty, companionship, and love.  I have been a cherished part of my owner's family for many years."

God smiles.  "Truly, you have a pure and loving heart.  You shall sit at my right hand."  He then turns to the parakeet.  "What do you believe in?"

"I believe in color, flamboyance, and music," the parakeet says.  "For many years, I have displayed my beautiful feathers and filled my owner's house with song."

"Your beauty is truly magnificent," God says.  "And your song shall echo through the universe.  You shall sit at my left."

God finally turns to the house-cat.  "And you, majestic little predator, what do you believe in?"

The cat lazily surveys God's throne and says, "I believe you are in my seat."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

3 hours ago, Fishy89 said:

Hello everyone ! 

Honestly in your case I'd say no. You are kinda in a critical point in your process. If you get denied while you're abroad you can't come back and since you already got an RFE it's just up or down decision most likely at this point.

If this was pre-RFE I'd say sure go for it.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, FeDaniela said:

You must go base on the processing time for the NYC Local office, NYC is taking around 12 to 20 months to adjudicate I-485 after vawa approval. Mine took 17 months. but i have seen other take 12 months so it depends. 

Oh wow! And where would they send the notice or update for the I485? I had my old address when I filed it then it was put on hold and then I  have a different address on my I360. 

I just received an email this morning that says “We have taken an action on your case” but didn’t see anything when logged in. 

I wonder if I should change my address for I485 on USCIS site or that would delay my case? 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 10/1/2021 at 12:39 PM, Zzz___1 said:

Hi everyone, 

as my new c31 card is supposedly being produced, I would like to know what are the next steps going to be. Let’s pretend that it means approval and I will get a letter at some point.

From my understanding, after the case is transferred to NBC, I should get some sort of note from them and/or RFE. Does that sound about right?

also, my medicals have been completed about 3 years ago. Does that mean that my old medical record is still valid? If so, should my next steps look like NBC transfer > local office transfer > interview notice if no additional documents are required? 

ps. 485 processing times at my local office  range from 12 to 27 mo.

I am a little bit lost here.

thanks! 

When they approve your VAWA  you won't get any RFE regarding the VAWA petition. You medical exam is not valid anymore, and you will get an RFE to bring the interview your medical exam.

Timeline
23 hours ago, SilverLining2 said:

Hey @sandranj and all, can I get a report from any medical doctor and therapist, or does USCIS has any preference in terms of certification, network....? My therapist works at Mount Sinai Beth Israel NYC, so I would think she is a good official source ; but I have had other physical issues since then due to PTDS and I would like to have a medical diagnosis too, from a medical doctor, so I would be glad to have your inputs about this.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

You need a GREAT psychological evaluation done and not just psychological  tests such as BAI  and BDI. Make sure the psychologist will mention all abuse that  you suffered, a generic evaluation won't help your VAWA case. He/she needs to be licensed as a psychologist  in your State.

Timeline
On 10/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, Karman said:

I send my I-485 in Jan 2021 so I guess I have wait really really long time

Why did you ask your congressperson to inquire on your behalf? your local office is working with  cases received in 2019. You have to wait at least 15/17 months to have your case adjudicated.

Timeline
On 10/4/2021 at 10:21 AM, MGJ_NY said:

Hi Fam! 

It’s been awhile since I visited this forum 😅

Sept 2018 filer here and VAWA has been approved March 2021. NY location.

How do I get an update for my I485? No news of it yet and online status doesn’t provide information.

How long does it take to get an interview after VAWA approval in NYC?

NYC is taking 19-22 months to set up the interview, then you have to wait for a while ok.

Hi Fam! So I just received this update for my I485, 2 days after I emailed my congressperson. What does this mean? There has been no update online or by mail on may I485 since 2017 when I filed it and during the time I filed for VAWA. Does this mean they sent a letter to my old address that was on my I485 when I filed it? I have a different address on my I360. Should I change address or they automatically change it to match the address on my I360? Pls help. Thank you @sandranj @FeDaniela 

06A55683-C740-4729-8785-FC9CC7FD182F.jpeg

Edited by MGJ_NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.