2,965 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sk N said:

does short period counts of a marriage?

It depends.  Talk to lawyers.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/24/2021 at 11:03 PM, Sk N said:

Just found out my husband was married before he never disclosed  the information to me because it was easy for him to hide it since it was civil marriage only :( 

You will not have any problem because he is polygamous, this rule just applies to VAWA petitioners. You need to prove that you didn't know he was still married when you got married.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Sk N said:

does short period counts of a marriage?

Most of my cases the couples were married for  2/5 moths.I had one case  that she was married for  24 hours , another case he was married for 5 day, both are  U.S Citizen now.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Nasforuon1y said:

Hi VJ family,

My I-485 interview was done almost 4 months back on approved Vawa,

But still I didn't received my GC there is no update from last 4 months . Now I've been worried  3 months back also I've posted about my delay.. Some told to approach Congress Men and Few told to  have patience. I already done both. If some one Suggest other way apart from both I'll appreciate.

Contact your congress person to inquire on your behalf.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Kama2018 said:

Hi everyone. I can't believe that I am writing this, but it is real. I thought it will never happen. I got an interview notice for I 485 after VAWA approval recently. Hopefully this will end soon and I will go on with my life. I can't find any information, how is interview process for i485 after VAWA approval? What should I bring with me? If I have kids listed in VAWA case, but they are abroad, do I need their original birth certificates? I am lost, overwhelmed and can't wait for interview day coming.
Thanks in advance for responce everyone. I am so glad I found this group, even I am not active poster here.

Bring your original married certificate, birth certificate, divorce decree, if any, if your spouse was married before you need to bring a certified copy of his divorce decree as well, your passport and bring all original documents that you submitted to USCIS in case they want to see documents showing a bonafide marriage .

Timeline
On 8/25/2021 at 4:56 PM, Fishy89 said:

I figured out that my lawyer forgot to send the RFE letter along with the papers he sent to them

will this affect my case ?

It will affect the case big time.It's mandatory to submit the ORIGINAL RFE along with your response.

5. Responses to Requests for Evidence and Notices of Intent to Deny

Requested Materials Must Be Submitted Together

Whether in response to an RFE or a NOID, benefit requestors must submit all requested materials together at one time, along with the original RFE or NOID. USCIS treats any submission partially responding to an RFE or NOID as a request for a final decision on the record.[37] USCIS does not wait for a second response or issue a second RFE simply because a response from the benefit requestor is a partial response.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-e-chapter-6

Timeline
On 8/25/2021 at 12:25 AM, Fishy89 said:

Hello everyone 

i sent my response to the RFE 3 weeks ago but the system never changes Or confirmed that they received it ? Is that normal ? Iam worried did this they actually receive it ? Or no ? 
and how long app they take to apdate the system ? 

They will not inform you if they received the RFE response or not.

13 hours ago, Sk N said:

i feel you, we all make through one day 

12 hours ago, Ana FL said:

OMG!!! Guys, I posted 2 days ago that my local office received my medicals and today I got a new card is being produced under my I-485 application. I still can’t believe it. My local office is Miami, FL.

thank you everyone who took the time to answer questions, offer support and prayers for all of us. I’ll post my complete timeline over the weekend!!! 
once again, Thank you!!

Wait whaaaat?

You..... You mean... THE GREEN CARD?! OMG! I am so happy for you! I have been fallowing your process as we are pretty much on the same page , i just got the request for fingerprinnts for I-485! And... What is the next step?

@Ana FL I actually sent you a message yesterday saying we are getting green cards some time this year and... HERE YOU GOOO 😂😂😂

I'm excited this journey is coming to the end soon, and another journey starts 😊

18 hours ago, Makanaki said:

Hello fam, been a while. Please why would USCIS transfer I485 to another office? Just saw this update on my daughters I485 and they also wrote that they have sent me a transfer notice and the notice will explain the reason for transfer. Please I am anxious to understand what normally will initiate the transfer, do they normally send transfer notice, and what do they normally write their. Thank you

All Vawa Base I-485 must be transfer to NBC / Local office. Vermont Service center does not adjudicate I-485. No need to worry. 

14 hours ago, Nomadboy said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I got married in 2018 and with all the processes and because of the pandemia I haven’t divorced yet.

I went to an attorney to divorce.

He recommended to wait for the uscis decision in case they would send me an rfe, he would send a divorce for abuse which would be more difficult for my ex to sign and more expensive for me.

In case my vawa just gets approved as is I would just divorce regularly.

Now I’ve received a pre approval(limited time) for a mortgage and I would really like to buy my own house.

what do you guys think ? Am I safe? Can my ex get something even if we’ve been separeted for over a year? 

Your divorce will not affect your pending Vawa case even thought if they sent RFE later on. Divorce does not have to be base on abuse/ domestic violence grounds to favor your case, my advice is to divorce regularly uncontested preferred if everything is agree on or no property or children are involve no need to wait. 

Please consider your home purchase after you divorce, divorce property divides law differs in each state and he may get half of it if is purchase still being legally married. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 hours ago, Nomadboy said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I got married in 2018 and with all the processes and because of the pandemia I haven’t divorced yet.

I went to an attorney to divorce.

He recommended to wait for the uscis decision in case they would send me an rfe, he would send a divorce for abuse which would be more difficult for my ex to sign and more expensive for me.

In case my vawa just gets approved as is I would just divorce regularly.

Now I’ve received a pre approval(limited time) for a mortgage and I would really like to buy my own house.

what do you guys think ? Am I safe? Can my ex get something even if we’ve been separeted for over a year? 

You need to talk to your attorney about purchases during marriage.  Unless you filed for legal separation, just because you left does not constitute separation.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

46 minutes ago, Bro said:

Hi VAWA family, 

Does anyone know how the <official email> to Congress Person should be, when you want an official request about your case?  Can you please send me some samples? 

Thank you 🙏 

There is no template just tell them you filed for vawa and you want to check the status of your case. Simple like that. If you have any other info like RFE, pass processing time, and more you let them know. 
the. They will probably send you a form where you enter your receipt number, alien number and they can check your case for you

Edited by Ana FL

08/2017 - Married USC

09/2017 - Application for I-485, I-765, I-131

12/2017 - Approval  I-765, I-131

09/2018 Renewal application for I-765, I-131

04/2019 - I-485 interview scheduled 

04/2019 - I-485 denied, husband withdrew

05/2019 - Application for  I-360, I-485, I-765, I-131 

12/2019 EAD, AP approval

07/2020 EAD, AP renewal sent to Vermont

10/2020 EAD, AP Approval

11/2020 VAWA I-360 Approved (C31 produced)

01/2021 I-360 status changed to case approved

03/2021 - I-693 deficient notice from national benefit center

Filed: Other Timeline
11 hours ago, sandranj said:

Bring your original married certificate, birth certificate, divorce decree, if any, if your spouse was married before you need to bring a certified copy of his divorce decree as well, your passport and bring all original documents that you submitted to USCIS in case they want to see documents showing a bonafide marriage .

Thank you, @sandranj.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.