ryvfader

New US Dog Entry Ban 14 July 2021

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/high-risk.html

I just wanted to share this for those who are planning to bring their dog type furry children with them to the US.

On 14 July 2021 the CDC will temporarily suspend the entry of dogs from a large number of countries worldwide, with exemptions available for US citizens or permanent residents relocating to the US. It's unclear how this will impact a K1 entry as there is no permanent residency until after AOS. As of now entries (after 14 July) with a dog can only be made through JFK. Permits must be applied for 30 days prior to travel, with required laboratory work to ensure antibodies against Rabies completed 3 months prior to travel.  

Edited by ryvfader

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the US Immigration News forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Go to cdc.gov and find the info on the 4 (was 5) authorized labs. You’ll need to plan for not just the test but also the permit as well as hope that airlines will accept the dog (lots are taking easy way out and banning all dogs). Then contact your elected representatives and give them your thoughts on this new rule. 
CDC seems to be under the impression the test is cheap and readily available for $50. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
2 hours ago, Paul&Anna said:

I was going to ask about this topic also as my wife is scheduled for interview in September and is planning on bringing her dog. Can anyone add any information?

So this is going to be tricky if you're coming from a "high-risk" rabies country, or if the dog was in one of these countries in the past 6 months.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/high-risk.html

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dog-importation-changes.html

The biggest thing in your favor is the fact she will be relocating on a IR-1/CR-1, so green card in hand which will show proof of being a permanent resident. I would assume proof of the visa process would be useful in proving this is a permanent relocation meeting their criteria. For those on K1 visas, I have no idea what the outlook is since they don't technically meet the permanent resident requirements to apply for the import permit. I'm curious to hear what the results are for K1 holders who apply for this. 

You're going to need to get serological titers done to verify rabies vaccination at least 30 days after the most recent current vaccination and 90 days prior to importation. This must be done at one of the CDC approved laboratories, the CDC instructions are to coordinate with your local veterinary clinic to get these samples shipped to one of these centers for completion. Sounds simple but we encountered a lot of issues, but in short we never did find anyone who could ship and order bloodwork for us, hard stop. Ukraine may have better laws and understanding for this though.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/approved-labs.html

Once that is done you're going to need to apply for a import permit.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/apply-dog-import-permit.html

Once all this is done you can apply using the PDF on their website and email it to the CDC dog import email address. 

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/import-permit-application-instructions.html

Must enter through specific approved ports of entry listed on CDC website. 

It was initially announced there was no transitional period from July 14th - October 14th and there was verbiage that all initial decisions on permits were final with no appeal route. However I am having trouble finding this verbiage again so there may be opportunity for appeal if denied initially. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I just learned about the ban and I am devastated!😭   Has anyone recently entered the U.S with their dog on CR-1/IR-1? I sure hope there's a way. None of the exceptions for the Permit apply 😔  Even if I was identified as a lawful resident this is the only condition which is close enough but still wouldn't work - the reason for relocation must be "employment or education"

My dog has vax, chip, titre, passport and was flying all around EU with me. This is something totally out of the blue!

Please share your stories or plans 🙏

Timeline
On 8/28/2021 at 6:37 PM, SaraDa said:

I just learned about the ban and I am devastated!😭   Has anyone recently entered the U.S with their dog on CR-1/IR-1? I sure hope there's a way. None of the exceptions for the Permit apply 😔  Even if I was identified as a lawful resident this is the only condition which is close enough but still wouldn't work - the reason for relocation must be "employment or education"

My dog has vax, chip, titre, passport and was flying all around EU with me. This is something totally out of the blue!

Please share your stories or plans 🙏

I think the operative words in their verbiage here is "such as", basically if you can show proof that you're permanently relocating to the US it gives you a valid case. Granted I have no affiliation with the CDC so I can't speak for them, but I would assume this meets their conditions. 

Though having just sent your stuff in last month, it's entirely possible that if we can get a handle on COVID to the point that the CDC is no longer drowning the ban will be lifted when they review it. I don't have any links but I believe I remember seeing something about re-evaluating the situation after a year.  

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone, just wanted to share an update. I was on some groups about CDC Dog Ban on Telegram and girls (Russians, Ukrainians waiting for K-1 or CR-1) were sharing their stories. Saw some real examples of getting an approval from CDC. Real case: entering on a K-1 visa, dog has a passport with a Russian citizen as owner, took 2 weeks to get it. Just to give you some hope! I felt super relieved when read that! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We have two dogs and live in Arizona.  We used to frequently take them across the border to Mexico and back during our vacations to Rocky Point beach.  Will we still be able to take our dogs to Mexico and back by land?

18 minutes ago, Ben & Katy said:

We have two dogs and live in Arizona.  We used to frequently take them across the border to Mexico and back during our vacations to Rocky Point beach.  Will we still be able to take our dogs to Mexico and back by land?

YES - they can still travel to Puerto Peñasco.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.